Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 1/72 compatible Fantasy metals

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Gaz
    Participant

I have been searching (unsuccessfully) for metal miniatures to complement the great 1/72 plastic fantasy models from Caesar and Dark Alliance. However, I may have found a solution: old school “true 25mm” miniatures from Prince August. I’m quite happy with my home cast orcs, below. More info and scale comparison pics here: https://garageguerilla.blogspot.com/2020/09/prince-august-classic-fantasy-orcs.html

PA orcs

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Possible the early Minifigs ranges?  The old Lord of the Rings and Valley of the Four Winds where 25mm with lots of models being cast again in the U.K. http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=3&CategoryID=35

Impressed by your casts.  I’m of an age where I remember PA being introduced and ‘discussing’ the option with parents (much to their horror).

Gaz
    Participant

Yes Andrew, the minifigs range could be another good source of 1/72 compatible  figs. I have to admit I enjoy the casting. It certainly requires adult supervision! It is definitely a skill in itself.

Mike Headden
    Participant

Elheim have a small selection of 20mm Fantasy figures and clearly have plans to expand the range.

https://www.elhiem.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1678863-FANTASY-20mm-RPG.html

“Lets be bad guys!”

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Gaz
    Participant

These look very nice, Mike. Looks like I am being spoilt for choice!

ian pillay
    Participant

We do need more 1/72 metal fantasy. The plastics are good for bulking out the armies but tend to lack characters. Those Elhiem ones look great.

Tally-Ho!

Gaz
    Participant

Thanks to Mike for the heads up about the Elheim 20mm fantasy range. I ordered the adventurers and the Evil dudes and I am very happy with them. Some rough shots of the unpainted models next to Caesar and Dark alliance 1/72 can be found on the blog:

https://garageguerilla.blogspot.com/2020/10/elheim-fantasy-20mm.html

fairoaks024
    Participant

the Mini knight brand from Caesar miniatures has a small selection of 1:72 scale metal fantasy miniatures.

Gaz
    Participant

I’ve seen pictures of the mini knight fantasy figs, but they seem hard to come by. Maybe Ebay?

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Those Elhiem sculpts look very nice. It will be interesting to see what more they add to the line…

The very old molds seem to be close to “true 25” don’t they!  I always wondered about that.  They do look pretty good against the Caesar hero in one of your pictures.  I don’t know that home casting is in the cards for me.  It would be fun to do, but I barely have enough time to paint what I have!

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Gaz
    Participant

Well John, the casting can be a welcome distraction from painting, tbh.

At the moment I am getting a real kick out of bringing new life to some of these really old models.

Gaz
    Participant

Just painted up the Elheim 20mm baddies. These guys would work great at the head of a bendy plastic 1/72 army!

fairoaks024
    Participant

Great work, Particularly like evil knight guy.

Mike Headden
    Participant

Love those. Especially the red wizard. Well done!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Just found a pile of Prince August moulds for sale in the Hobby’s catalogue here in the U.K.  No idea if they are reasonable prices (the catalogue has high / reasonable / low prices) but it maybe a source if folk are struggling for some casting bits.

The catalogue is a treasure trove of things / kits you want but may not know you did… Well worth the £3.65 just for the flick through pleasure alone.  Reminds me of Argos as a child and Maplin as an adult.

Browsing the Midlam Mini site, I saw the note that says “(the old Metal Magic range) are slightly on the short side” so maybe they are an option?

The other thought I had was was the old mega-minis lines where smaller than most – it may be worth hunting some of them out of eBay or wherever the moulds ended up.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.