Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket 1/72 Sudan British

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Cameronian Cameronian 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

Left shiny for the ‘toy soldier’ look:

https://cameronian-onlyagame.blogspot.com/2019/04/172-british-colonial-wip.html

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Very nice. A nicely balanced force.

How are the opposition shaping up?

donald

Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

Thanks.  All the figures are to hand but the mojo is on the low side at the moment, I’ll get around to them

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

They’re based for a DBA-style game?

All the figures are to hand but the mojo is on the low side at the moment, I’ll get around to them

I know it’s far easier to find the desire to paint the Imperial troops for Colonial games. I fell into the trap with my AZW British & Colonials. I kept adding a unit of some esoteric type (Natal Mounted Police etc) or a company of the red coated British infantry (best uniform ever), even if I was supposed to add 4 Zulus for every one of these figures. Native troops have an interesting appearance but the sheer number needed kills the novelty.

I should add, a certain pig-headed determination means I don’t like to cut down numbers by re-cycling.

donald

Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

They’re based for HOTT (Hordes of the Things) fantasy rules, with a couple of rules tweaks, e.g. Camel Corps and the Gardner gun.  I settled on HOTT due to the disparity in the weapons used between the Brits and the Mahdists, who were basically a medieval army with a few firearms thrown in.  HOTT caters nicely for the disparities. Additionally as HOTT is points based I wouldn’t need to paint boxes and boxes of Mahdists.

Only how I see it of course.

Appreciate the interest.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Appreciate the interest.

Not at all: as you know, I’m a fellow /172 fan.

Possibly a bit biassed but I think they’re the ideal scale for large-ish armies in that the figures are often beautifully detailed whilst being small enough to allow you to field lots on an average table. And not breaking the bank, either.

Do you have regular opponents?

donald

Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

Us plastic 1/72’ers tend to be viewed as a bit strange by the ‘mainstream’ gaming fraternity but I’m perfectly happy; as I’ve still got money left for beer after putting an army together

Soloist here, so I can play as fast and loose with the rules as I like

vtsaogames
    vtsaogames
    Participant

I recently dusted off my 1/72 DBA forces to introduce the rules to a game mate.

Plenty of 15mm metal too, and a very few 28mm figures, some 54s even.

https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

You don’t get the sneering that you used to sometimes find but I don’t think we’re universally accepted.

Us plastic 1/72’ers tend to be viewed as a bit strange by the ‘mainstream’ gaming fraternity but I’m perfectly happy; as I’ve still got money left for beer after putting an army together Soloist here, so I can play as fast and loose with the rules as I like

One of my plans is to start up solo gaming as I tend to have a lot more disposable time than my pals. I’ve mostly got both sides so it wouldn’t be difficult.

HaT looked after us for many years: that’s a nice looking mid Republican battle. Mind you, they’re less than prolific now.

donald

Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

Something worth looking at for soloing is the Command and Colours system, which is entirely card based for ‘orders’ but any rule set can be used with it for movement, etc.

Agree, HaT was my one stop shop for a while.  Recently they seem to be stuck churning out a narrow range of figures and developing others that are already available elsewhere. A shame considering how many of their existing ranges are still incomplete after many years.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.