Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 10mm WFB

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 875 total)
  • Author

I do find a common problem with 10mm and 12mm to be that many manufacturers and hobbyists don’t really make a distinction between the two, making it hard to know what you’re really getting.

Participant

I do like those hedges though, however tall/short they are.

I do find a common problem with 10mm and 12mm to be that many manufacturers and hobbyists don’t really make a distinction between the two, making it hard to know what you’re really getting.

Some of the Dark Elves are 15mm to the top of their heads…

I do like those hedges though, however tall/short they are

Thanks, they are quite nice I feel.

The hedges do look good. What’s the brown stuff you used at the base? Makes it look like dried brush. I’ll have to copy that.

So when I make the strips I paint the middle bit brown and flock the edges leaving that bare.
    Then apply the clump foliage over the brown but invariably bits of the brown show through.
    Then when dry I dab on some mat varnish of all things around the base of the clump hedge and sprinkle dark green and brown scatter, this gives it that roughty tufty look.

The green/brown is actually this:

Participant

The fantasy range is larger than the historical range from memory.

Keymaster

The fantasy range is larger than the historical range from memory.

That’s dissapointing. I ordered a few hundred historicals to use as the bulk of my fantasy army.

Will you be having to re-think the project now, Mike?

Keymaster

Too invested!

I think as long as the base sizes are the same and the models are not hideously incompatible I can make allowances.

Maybe tomorrow I can share the hill update and the associated problems with that…

Sigh.

FWP

Participant

I think the Elves were meant to look taller, the Barbarians bigger etc than ‘normal’ humans, if that makes sense? Maybe Leon might drop by on this thread and can elaborate. To be honest once on the table, I struggle to spot the difference in size, but maybe that’s just me.

Keymaster

On FB he said:

Leon Pengilley
    The Fantasy ranges are a touch bigger than the historicals, so 12-14mm overall height compared to 11.5mm overall on the historical ranges.

So the historicals arrived and they are great as Empire troops, but in no way compatible with the other 10mm figures.

🙁

Going to have to return the historicals and get more of the bigger fantasy.

Maybe tomorrow I can share the hill update and the associated problems with that…

so, I think the warping is being sorted.
    But…

The mat I ordered which ended up being free as it was badly creased.
    That was a Javis brand Summer static grass mat.
    So thinking ahead I ordered some Javis brand Summer static grass to make hills and other terrain with matching grass…

Maybe my undercoating on the hill was somehow making the scatter darker than it should be so I sprinkled some on the hills made with the mat:

I think I may quit and just play video games…

The grass is always greener…

That’s a deep hole you’re going down. Last year I lost the only supply source for my preferred ground cover material. Their reason was it was very difficult getting colors to match between batches.

I think you’ll have to use the mat for all flocked surfaces. Now if a second mat doesn’t have the same tone of green you’ll have to photoshop all your pics to fool us.

Participant

Someone’s trying to tell you to go real Old School – painted baseboard and soft fibreboard hills  with 30mm figures!

Participant

Not sure if it will be useful intel but Kallistra’s fantasy used to be Pendraken and they are totally compatible size wise… which is weird because everyone says Kallistra runs very big for 10mm, but I’ve never heard anyone say that about Pendraken…

Anyway, if you are in the market for some more options take a look at Kallistra.

Keymaster

I was looking at that last night, Kallistra do call theirs 12mm now though.

😀

Not got any comparison shots of the 2 have you?

I’m no expert, but this blue seems like a good colour for this one?

My first 10mm paint job.

He’s a wizard Harry.

Participant

Nice result – is that going to be your standard single basing style?

Will each figure be based and sabot bases for units?

Thanks.

Pretty much, maybe only rocks and stuff on the first rank.
    Plain grass otherwise I think for the majority of rank and file.

Not decided on sabot bases, not keen to increase the height any further and don’t really like the idea of there being a rim around the edges.
    Will try without and if that is a PITA then maybe just pop a sheet of thin acetate under and use that to slide them along on.

Participant

Looking good, making me very jealous.

Did you ever decide on Building sizes? I don’t want to be mister contrary – But I think you can easily get away with using BIGGER scale buildings than the figures you are using. Wargames buildings are always a bit small.

I have ordered some 10mm Battlescale. 😀

Bases and trees arrived.

Just waiting on more figures from Pendraken and the buildings from Battlescale…

Both starter forces based, and one primed…

Participant

Excellent work, really good to follow along as the project unfolds, especially showing your thought process with all the decisions.

superb  painting on the wizard too.

Participant

Nice brush work Mike. Although I thought it was going to be a blue wizard… Purple is the Amethyst  College of magic I believe. Either way can’t wait to see the rest of them painted up.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Nice brush work Mike. Although I thought it was going to be a blue wizard… Purple is the Amethyst College of magic I believe. Either way can’t wait to see the rest of them painted up.

Thanks, blimey the colleges of magic, that is a blast from the past.
    TBBH, it is more Empire inspired than true to any GW lore.

Blue didn’t look right in the end, though I did use the blue as lining on the cloak.
    I will do some better some shots once a few more models are painted.

Participant

No side by side photos of Pendraken and Kallistra, but if you look at the packs careful (e.g. high elf command) you can see that some of the of the sculpts are identical.

Also here is a thread on a site that shall not be named where Leon talks about Pendraken and Kallistra

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=524922

Keymaster

Cheers. Defo look at getting some Kallistra then.

hmmm actually, as I am after humans and the Kallistra humans for the fantasy come from their historicals, anyone know how the Kallistra historicals match with their fantasy/the Pendraken fantasy.

It is interesting to me how this project has awakened memories from 30+ years ago when I first got into wargaming via WFB.

The tedium is one such memory, the slog of painting lots of models.
    I recall being in my teens and after school painting late into the night with music blaring.
    Alas being closer to 50 these days, the back, eyes, and general aches and pains make such feats impossible.

Following on from this I recall the fudging, that is the front rank get the better treatment and the other ranks not quite as detailed, not bad, just not as good.

10mm is harder to paint I find as they are harder to see, having said that they are quicker.
    I doubt I could paint 25mm as quickly as 10mm, but with bigger details it was for sure easier.

One thing here though I am doing is ink washing to act as shading.
    I did this with my 6mm.
    I do not do it with my 15mm, I find an inkwash is not as pleasing to my eye as properly painted shadows.
    Having said that, at 10mm it makes the process easier and quicker, and actually gives the models a bit of a grubby look which is what I want, a sort of campaign feel, rather than some of the bright pristene Empire flavoured paintjobs you see.

Anywho, that is enough rambling, pictures to follow when the first unit is done.

Oh I have 2 main groups within my human army atm.
    The general/commander and the troops from his dukedom, and the other dude.
    As such I have got two main colour schemes and have ordered some d6 of the appropriate colours for each group to roll as befits their uniforms.

TTFN

Crikey…

Static Grass
    So I have some 1mm static grass I will use for all the bases, but I don’t have a massive amount and want to order more to keep the colour consistent.
    So I contacted the place I got this from as I could not see it on their site and they pointed out where it was (the image did not look accurate).
    So I ordered 2 bags, enough for many many armies.
    It arrived and was true to the image and not the same colour as I had from them the first time.

So after hunting around I ordered what looked correct from another company, it has just arrived and it is indeed fine and dandy.

Bases
    Samantha and I had a test game the other day and as feared, moving around 10mm figures on teeny individual bases worked but was a tad too fiddly.
    So looking around online there is nowhere I could find that had bases of the correct internal dimensions and all of them were quite chunky MDF that put a considerable height and rim around the actual figures.
    So I dug into the drawer and pulled out some quarter round plastic rod and knocked up a base.
    It worked, so I ordered a shed load of the rod and popped to Hobby Craft where they have their loyalty cards by the hundreds in bins for people to use.

Dice

I wanted dice that suited the period and have been struggling with ideas.
    Samantha ordered some dark metal dice with purple numbers for her dark elves.
    I ordered some gold dice and some coloured dice that match the uniforms of the units.
    So when my halberdiers roll dice they will use the red and the white dice as their uniforms are that colour.

Trees

I based up the eBay trees and mounted them on coins.
    They will then sit on some terrain templates from Warbases.
    I have filed the edges into a slope as the 3mm MDF edge was a bit too linear.
    I will make the template look like a forest floor and thus will be able to move the trees around as units enter but the perimeter of the forest will remain fixed.

I also have some figures on Order from Pendraken and eventually from Kallistra…

More updates as things start to fall into place.

Participant

Have you seen Excellent Miniatures new 10mm lines?  They look beautiful and like a good match for Pendraken.

Painted examples and scale comparisons at Irregular Wars: http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2020/08/more-excellent-miniatures-10mm-scale.html?m=1

Excellent: https://www.excellentminiatures.com/miniatures/epic-scale/10mm-warmeister/empires-of-man/

I have, they are not quite in keeping with the style I am after.

Participant

They are nice trees – any plans on stocking them?

Interested to see how the 1mm grass goes as I’ve some 2mm for Jakes 28mm Tau to try but with no static ‘shaker’ I’m not sure what the result will look like but I know its going to be too big for my 6mm – maybe OK for the 15s I’ve got to do.

I used to use 1mm on my 6mm, much better than 2mm or even 1.5mm IMO.

No to the trees, they are too small for 15mm and not really in keeping with the Crom’s Anvil vibe.

Participant

Ooooh those are nice warmaster proxies.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Have you seen the use of coconut fibre for forest floors?

Its popped up on YouTube a couple of times recently and you basically chop it as fine as you need, so a heavy ‘chop’ is best for smaller figures.

For myself, it seems a bit plain (more pine wood than deciduous) and I would be tempted to mix herbs in unless it was a big pine forest I was doing.

I had not, I would investigate but have already made plans!

😀

Here is my first attempt at a 10mm unit.

They look better from back here:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 875 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.