Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 10mm WFB

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 857 total)
  • Author

Unlike Burning Sands which was about the heros and what they did, I am minded to make WFB about the place and how that place changes over time.

Or maybe a bit of both.

My initial thoughts are of Emperor Karl Franz I being oathbound to offer some land to a minor noble for some unknown service, however unwilling to grant anything of substantial value the Emperor grants a piece of gods forsaken land in the eastern reaches of Stirland, specifically in Sylvania.

Undeterred the noble to whom this land is granted rallies some troops from the neighbouring provinces of Ostermark and Talabecland and heads off into Stirland to claim his land.
    The first few games will be of getting there and exploring the locality and then setting up residence, this will likely be in the ‘best’ of the villages in the area granted to him which will no doubt fall far short from anything regarded as Empirical.

Essentially it will be ran as a sort of mini campaign, some skirmishes, finding villages, choosing the best, clearing the surrounding areas of chaos and building up fortifications.
    Hopefully we will see the area grow and prosper and the forces of Albrecht Von Halven turn the gods forsaken area into a thriving town as he burns away the forces of chaos and evil.

Though as I write it I am not sure now!

😛

Participant

This sounds very very cool, and almost as if you’ve been listening in to the RPG I have been running over Roll20.  I hope your campaign is as much fun and goes well for your hero!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Great looking army, fantastic paint job. This is a cool project, keep us updated, please.

Participant

Mike, if you can dig out an old back issue of Dragon Magazine, look up an article called “Fighting for Keeps.” It matches your plan almost identically but was written for Battlesystem. Could be adapted very easily. Something tells me I might be giving you information you already have, that’s how close to the mark you are.

Participant

It’s issue 127 by the way. WAY back there. But as I recall it was just around the same time as 3rd Ed. WFB.

“Something tells me I might be giving you information you already have, that’s how close to the mark you are.”

Nope, not a clue. I will have a hunt around.
    Ta.

“Something tells me I might be giving you information you already have, that’s how close to the mark you are.”

Nope, not a clue. I will have a hunt around.
    Ta.

What I have found interesting is that I am also in a FB group for WFB 3rd Edition and despite over 100 members who all play WFB 3rd Edition, I am getting better responses here, where there are surely less than 100 WFB 3rd Edition players.

FB can be so demoralising sometimes.

Anyway, back to working on my watchtower that will be a regular site of battle!

Participant

Definitely look up Dragon Issue 127, “Fighting for Keeps.” You might think that copies of hard to find vintage back issues of ephemera like Dragon Magazine circulate in PDF format, you might very well think that, but of course I couldn’t possibly comment.

The thing I like most about 3rd Edition is how mysterious it all still was. It was before the Super Kill Guy syndrome and it was really more of an appendix to the WFRP system, much like Battlesystem was to AD&D. And the freedom to cook up your own forces from bottom to top including arms and armor felt so liberating compared to the “Pay To Win” model that was to follow.

Keymaster

Not keen on looking up pirated copies.
    I can manage without.
    Thanks though.

Participant

All I mean is if you look up the article it leads to about a bazillion PDF copies is how I found the issue number. I happen to have the actual issue from when if first came out back in the 80s come to find out – that glossy magazine print holds up remarkably well and it’s one of the few bits of documentary evidence from before Hurricane Katrina. It may be available in library magazine files, many of which have been digitized in recent years. The state of Ohio for example has an extensive digital magazine archive. I should imagine something similar is to be found in the UK.

Participant
    Keymaster

Thanks, but £35 is a bit much!

😀

Participant

It’s $6.25 plus $4 shipping. I guess sterling isn’t holding its value like it used to! Damned intercontinental trade. Where’s Adam Smith when you need him?!

Keymaster

$25.00 shipping to the UK. Plus import duty and then handling fees.

😉

Participant

Good god man. Would you consider my mailing you a photocopy “Piracy?” Because those postal rates sure amount to as much!

Keymaster

Ha.
    Yeah it is not cheap.
    I am good thanks, I am pretty sure I would only put the original on a shelf for reading another day. I have my plans in my head and this may make me delay (change) them!

😀

So, assuming I stick with the plan, there will at some point down the line be some sort of castle or keep or something.
    Good job this just arrived from ebay then!

Participant

Thats where the system started going slightly off the rails for me. I have that one as well but I found it fairly complex and a challenge to figure out. Not sure the alternative though so good luck! I might be giving it short shrift.

I had it back in the day, a quick read now and I am certain I will cherry pick the bits that make the most sense to me.

😀

I purchased some historical buildings and they are all well and good, but they lack the ramshackle quirkiness I associate with The Empire. So I started making a watchtower.

Here it is so far…

Participant

That’s looking good already Michael:)

Cheers, almost done…

Participant

Really does look quite good.  What’s the chain for?

Keymaster

Chaining things 😛

No idea, it is for show, or rather the dudes in the tower know, but alas I do not.

Participant

Reminds me of the time I was stopped for carrying a pocket knife.

”What’s this for, sir?”

”I don’t know, cutting stuff?”

The officer was not amused but as I’d broken no law he let me pass.

I have noticed that most if not all people I have seen playing WFB who use movement trays leave the blanks as is when a figure is removed:

I must confess this leaves me a bit cold.

So I have made a simple but effective solution, just bases to place in those spaces:

Done!
    (For now anyway)
    My watchtower on the border.

Liquid refreshment for the lads.

Participant

Very nice sir.  The finished product looks quite good.  I really think the ground you did makes it a much better piece than it would have been without any sort of base.

Participant

Fantastic! Just decrepit enough to be real, and so much more believable than the isolated keeps that are far too common.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Cheers, here is a glimpse at the future of my project and Crom’s Anvil.

Printed myself a new 10mm (well 13mm to match Pendraken) General.

Participant

Beautiful stuff, Michael!

Just a question: is Pendraken 13mm base to eye or base to top of head?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Both, the 10mm Historicals seem to vary from 10mm to head to 13mm to head.
    The fantasy vary by race from 13mm to top of head to 15mm.

:/

Added some images and titles to the Empire page:

https://angelbarracks.co.uk/empire.html

Participant

Cool general / hero printed model

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Cheers.
    I think it was a 28mm scaled figure that someone remixed for 10mm.

It is great as I could not find a Warhammer looking 10mm army leader anywhere.
    Then I found this, DL and printed and painted and bam, within a few hours from nothing to a painted model ready to go.

It was not a bad sculpt/print either, hair details, forehead ridges etc.
    Very Pleased.

I like BUAs myself as you can put all sorts of nice details on a base and texture it and have buildings and all that jazz.

However 3rd Edition uses individual buildings.

I have in my head some ideas for using BUAs and the rules around that, has anyone else here gone for BUAs instead?

3d printing has enabled me to get some WFB flavoured models that are not out there in 10/12mm.

However sometimes you just need to go old school.
    I want some flagellants for my army and commissioned my regular sculptor who does my 15mm to do me some.

Here is a quick photo before I send them off to the casters to be moulded.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 857 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.