Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 10mm WFB

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 308 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

They do look like they’ve eaten a TON of broccoli.  Oh, wait, not ‘flatulents’, my bad….

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Angel Barracks

Thanks?

😛

Found a nice quick scenario online for some beastmen attacking an inn.
    Only I don’t have an inn so thought maybe a farm, then I had a thought.

I bought a 3d printer.
    Here is my new inn.

Geof Downton
    Participant

Very nice. There is a part of me which thinks 3d printing is the future, and another part which thinks that it’s not ‘real’ modelling. I understand that Mike the Gamer is (rightfully) happy with this, but is Mike the Modeller feeling a little unfulfilled?

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Angel Barracks

For now it is exciting enough.
    Having said that, my Empire troops being historicals lack some of the lore/feel of GW’s Old World, an obvious way to make them more Empire is to add big ass feathers to the helmets.
    I did not fancy sculpting scores of feathers so I have sliced a digital file so that only this remains:

I duplicated them and am printing just the feathery bits which I will attach to my metal models the old school way.
    Superglue, tweezers and swearing.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ah yes, it’s the swearing that cures the glue.

Mike
    Keymaster

If that were the case I am surprised it is not cured before it leaves the tube  😀

Geof Downton
    Participant

Ah yes, it’s the swearing that cures the glue.

You are almost correct, except that swearing only cures glue in contact with fingers

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Mike
    Keymaster

Quicker than normally too.

Thomaston
    Participant

I wonder if UV resin could be used as glue or filler. Paint some on a surface and blast some UV at it.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

I will try that later, assuming I don’t forget.

Angel Barracks

oooh I did forget, I will try that today.

In other news, I needed to Empire up my models, here is the result of me sticking some printed feathers on their heads, due to my hurridness I have a few teeny gaps to greenstuff fill, but otherwise a success I feel.

Angel Barracks

So I did that inn and printed it in a way as big as possible whilst fitting both halves of the model on the build plate.
    That meant I could print both bits at the same time, it looked maybe a bit small but I convinced myself it would be ok.
    That is what you saw earlier, it was a bit small when it came out and I pondered if I was happy.
    I decided last night I was not so I have re-printed it and made it bigger so as it almost fits the print area.
    (It could have been a bit bigger still but I was happy with the sizes it showed on screen)

Here is the new version:

in the inn..

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Significantly bigger, but works muuuuch better next to the fig.  And that is a pretty well done stl file too.

Thomaston
    Participant

They both look fine to me. I think the little one might look better next to a regiment. The bigger one look better against single based minis.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Angel Barracks

The feathers on the Talabecland pikemen worked nicely, so started painting them and have begun another print.

A nice abandoned windmill that can be captured and used as a lookout, the sails are on the printer right now.

Angel Barracks

The pike are done.
    Will post pictures later.

Next is a unit of cavalry, then some 2 handed sword wielding dudes, then when they casters have done them my flagellants and finally after that I will be kitbashing a war wagon.

When done I will have:

1 unit of heavy cavalry
    1 unit of pikes
    1 unit of light spear
    1 unit of heavy spear
    1 unit of skirmishing archers
    1 unit of handgunners
    1 unit of halberdiers
    1 unit of regular infantry
    2 units of cannon
    1 war wagon

Off the top of my head that seems enough for a fairly decent starter Empire army?

Thomaston
    Participant

I can see why GW was so successful. Get you started with a little unit, and before you know it you’re building armies for the entire Empire. Good thing you went with 10mm and not the current 32mm.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

Ha.
    I don’t have the space..

THOUGH, in a few years we plan on moving up north and getting a much bigger house for less, so maybe I should start on the 28mm models now?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Those pikemen look ready to do some serious lamenting there!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Started on a walled field.
    As mentioned elsewhere on here about terrain aspirations vs practicality, I am making a field with fancy crops or something (I have yet to decide) but set into a removable base.

So when the troops go in the fancy crops can be taken out and replaced with something practical for gaming on.

Just waiting on some N gauge train stuff to arrive now..

Mr. Average
    Participant

Looks like it could be useful as a walled cemetery as well.  If you end up getting the undead involved it’ll be a convenient place for your necromancers to raise forces.

Cacique Caribe
    Participant

Walled fields?  Poppies perhaps?  Surely the wizards and healers must get their sleeping potions from somewhere.

I’ve seen plenty of walled poppy fields in photos of Afghanistan.

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157710630529376

Mr. Average
    Participant

Potion garden!  A fabulous idea for an objective!

Mr. Average
    Participant

By the way, you casually sneak in the biggest thing of all – “I bought a 3D printer?” Kind? Type? Ease of use? Inquiring gamers want to know.

Mike
    Keymaster

By the way, you casually sneak in the biggest thing of all – “I bought a 3D printer?” Kind? Type? Ease of use? Inquiring gamers want to know.

Crom’s Printer

Mr. Average
    Participant

Serves me right. Too many projects of yours to track! You’re a machine, mike!

Angel Barracks

😀

I played a quick small scale skirmish scenario for WFB with Samantha to see how it plays from a rules POV and to be able to have a quick fix without getting the whole army out.

The marauding beastmen have 8 turns in which to set fire to the tavern before the human reinforcements arrive.

I won but the scenario but it needed to have a 10 turn limit rather than the 8 specified.

However it was fun and I will be painting the models to play this ‘properly’

I have also started a themed cheat sheet:

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Move up north?  How far up north?  To the wall?  Beyond the wall?  Perhaps all the way to the Yukon?!?!?!  (Wait, wrong North…)

It’s great that you not only got a game in, but that your army now has TWO towers to watch from!

How did Samantha like the game and how is her army coming along?

Thomaston
    Participant

Is that a new board? Doesn’t lok like the one you sdhowed us earlier.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

It is my Burning Sands Southern Oceans one.

Angel Barracks

How did Samantha like the game and how is her army coming along?

She likes WFB and moans we don’t play it enough, but for me painted figures are a must, except today 😀

Cacique Caribe
    Participant

I’m glad Samantha played, because winning while playing solo can get a bit confusing.  🙂

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157710630529376

ian pillay
    Participant

Cheaper housing up North….????

can only be North Lincolnshire😂

The Empire army is looking great btw.

Tally-Ho!

Thomaston
    Participant

“She likes WFB and moans we don’t play it enough”
    One hell of a catch you got there.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Angel Barracks

Back to the tavern, I have almost finished most of the stonework, but am stuck at the roof.

I am currently stick between a sort of red/brown or a dark grey for the tiles.

What do you think?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Blue-grey. Like French slate. Very “empire” I think.

Mike
    Keymaster

I am actually leaning for red as they are more tiles than slates, plus my mate who is an architect agrees 😀

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m an architect too, ya know! But of course slate comes in all colors – red slate is not unknown in the USA for example. To me it looked like a fish scale slate in the image above, hence my suggestion. Clay will make it look a little more Mediterranean and less Germanic.

Mike
    Keymaster

Are you, I did not know?
    That is at least 3 of you on here.

😀

Yeah it is tricky to decide.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 308 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.