Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 10mm WFB

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 297 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Dude, everyone needs an orc army.ย  It’s, like, one of the immutable laws.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Angel Barracks

True.

Here is a quick shot of where I am with my Empire force so far.

Angel Barracks

So here is my unit of The Knights of the Black Rose.

They have kite shields, skull helmets, heavy armour, horse barding, lances and swords.
    The models I bought did not have shields, or skull helmets and not all of them had barding or feathers/plumes.

I purchased some single shields from Pendraken and stuck them on.

I sliced the front off most of the helmets off and filed them flat.
    Then I got some of my own 15mm skulls and carefully sliced the front of the skulls off and stuck that onto the knights heads.
    Then I added wreaths or feathers or plumes.
    I also greenstuffed the barding on the banner bearer and added skulls and hour glasses to the barding on the horses.

It was certainly a bit more involved than normal but they may well be my favourite unit.

Geof Downton
    Participant

…sliced the front of the skulls…

A highly hazardous activity, and, I suspect, the origin of the well known battle-cry, “Blood for the Blood God!”

But the results make the risk worthwhile.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

ian pillay
    Participant

Wow. Lovely conversions they look superb. Had to believe they are 10mm!

Tally-Ho!

Mike
    Keymaster

Cheers!
    TBH they are Kallistra 12mm, but hey…

๐Ÿ˜€

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Those look superb Michael!

ian pillay
    Participant

Whatโ€™s 2mm between hobbyist ๐Ÿ˜Š

Tally-Ho!

Steven Francis
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I would say 20% is a bit. I do not mind the gap but not really on models in the same army. Two battling side..well one has been involved in cycling or something….</p>

Angel Barracks

Andย  now some cavalry for Samantha:

Thomaston
    Participant

No stripy tray for the Dark Elves? I think the lizard mounts are very close to the grass in tone, wonder if they’ll disappear into the board?

I like the wash though, but as a fan of Jurassic Park’s Veloceraptors I wish they had stripes on them.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Angel Barracks

Stripes are more effort than I care for on the enemy troops, Samantha can paint her own!!

๐Ÿ˜€

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Beautiful stuff, Michael! And yes, Samantha can paint her own stripes. Tell her it will be empowering. ๐Ÿ™‚

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

… Samantha can paint her own stripes. Tell her it will be empowering. ๐Ÿ™‚

Says the guy whose footer starts We get slapped around…

I would chicken out and ask politely if stripes are wanted – may earn a brownie point or two.

Anyway – I like the result. A great solid block of big stompy things to trample the tiny humies.

Mike
    Keymaster

I would chicken out and ask politely if stripes are wanted โ€“ may earn a brownie point or two.

Nah just bought her a gothic style chaos star necklace to compliment her purple and black dice tray with felt inlay with a chaos star on it.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

“… and soon we will be hitting up the Tuesday Night Wicca Coven meetings.”ย  ย  ( I can joke because my own wife has been very nonchalantly feeling things out in that direction to complement her yoga.ย  Should get interesting)

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

I would chicken out and ask politely if stripes are wanted โ€“ may earn a brownie point or two.

Nah just bought her a gothic style chaos star necklace to compliment her purple and black dice tray with felt inlay with a chaos star on it.

Ah a bit of bribery – wise wise man ๐Ÿ™‚

Angel Barracks

Following on from the Dark Elf Cavalry, some chaos warhounds for her.

Angel Barracks

My last few posts have been some small finished units for Samantha’s Dark Elves, but armies are nice and all but time for some terrain love.

I was going to make some fences to go with my hedges then I noticed and advert on here for some Pendraken ones.

I worked out how many I needed, ordered 20% more than that and have completed half of them.

It was very boring but I think that when added to the table it will add some nice believability for my road sides.

Thomaston
    Participant

Nothing worst than finding out you don’t buy enough of something.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Angel Barracks

My bad, I bought plenty, 20% more than I needed in fact, this is just half of them.

Angel Barracks

So Samantha and I played a game today, I have not done a write up as this was a friendly and to help familiarise ourselves with the rules.

So here is a selection of images from the game.

The Set Up

Stefan was watching the battle from his barrel, from the shaky image I think maybe I had a swig from his mead horn

Most of the action took place on this flank and we see the forces advancing.

The first casualty of the game was on the Dark Elf spear thanks to my Stirjaeger (Long bow skirmishers)

Green and yellow dice to match the green and yellow colours of Stirland.

Over on the other flank, Samantha’s Hellfay flew over, let off a fireball which killed a Hakbutschutzen, but they returned fire and killed the foul wizard.

Back in the action the forces march ever closer

My pike clash with the Dark Elf spears who have already taken considerable losses from my archers.

Samantha’s Chaos Warhounds enter the battle and make a right mess of my normally quite capable Helblitzen.

Meanwhile my cannon overheats, explodes, kills the crew and the blast knocks poor Stefan off his barrel.

The last image is of the remaining Dark Elf spear who rallied after taking a beating and he glances back to the see the glorious Imperial Pikemen advancing.

All in all much fun was had.
    We forgot some rules.
    Samantha’s wizard again proved useless due to her getting too close, she had spells to summon a unit of undead but never had the chance to use it.

Our respective generals fought hand to hand, mine died but lasted a longer than I expected and he took Samantha’s general down to 1 wound from 4.
    My Stirjaeger finished him off though.

All in all is a close one.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That sounds like a hoot of a game!ย  And great that you got to play a game with the wife, wish I could get mine to engage but instead she has go and have a green thumb instead.

When Samantha has all of the rules and tactics down you may in for some trouble.

Angel Barracks

It was the most enjoyable day I have had in a long while.

Angel Barracks

Test cast of a pack of religious fanatics from the production mould.

Once I have the price I will add a button to my site:

https://cromsanvil.co.uk/10mm.html

Angel Barracks

Working on my baggage train.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Any reason to have the horses on separate bases rather than one long one?

I had some old ‘cowboy’ wagons where the horses could be removed for the classic ‘circle the wagons’ manoeuvre if needed but the fuss of moving two bits for one element outweighed this advantage.

Mike
    Keymaster

Flexibility.

I plan on using them as moving models and as part of a stationary baggage camp.

Angel Barracks

Working on terrain now that the bulk of my armies are painted.

Simple field, no effect on movement, just there to make the table prettier.

ian pillay
    Participant

Really enjoying this topic. Those fanatics are great. Mine question – how did you make that field /area terrain piece. That looks great.

Tally-Ho!

Angel Barracks

Cheers.

Warbases sell mdf templates of various sizes, I use them for fields and orchards and all that sort of stuff.
    My tavern is based on one of them:

As is the forest base:

I cut at the edges to give them a slope and then sand it to make it a bit smoother.

For texture I use:

I also use this on my infantry bases to hide the integral metal base and raise it all to the same height.

Then simply a bucket load of scatter material and static grass and tufts applied in a way that looks a bit rural.

Angel Barracks

Religious fanatics now in stock and with extra value twin pack option added !

https://cromsanvil.co.uk/10mm.html

Angel Barracks

Second unit of Samantha’s Witch Elves painted.
    Then the Dark Elf Commander and some Empire baggage trains to do…

Angel Barracks

The first baggage wagon is complete, the gamer in me is pleased but the modeller in me is crying…

Anyway, whilst I decide if I can live with it, onto making a small farmstead.

mark leslie
    Participant

I would think your baggage is incomplete until the vital addition of a Paymaster. What Old World army could operate without one? Also adds a nice bit of Oldhammer flavour.

https://preview.redd.it/0oa7qk37x5h51.png?width=625&format=png&auto=webp&s=5b792b80826d645fdbf2621b673803c6eb9715b7

I’m sure Dietrich could be available, given the right motivation.

Angel Barracks

True, I have civilian followers in the pipeline!

In the meantime, popped to Hobbycraft and decided to splurge on ready made trees.
    Much more expensive than the Chinese eBay ones, but also more realistic looking.

Angel Barracks

So.

Samantha and I played another practice game today to help hone our rules knowledge before the campaign starts.
    As it was about learning the rules we opted for minimal terrain.

Here are some random images:

Simple set up.

Artillery with 3d printed accessories on base.

Stefan watches the clash once again.

Samantha tried some different spells this time, summoning the undead.
    Fortunately they never got close enough for their fear rule to really kick in.

The red dice are heat points for my cannons.
    One blew up the second time it fired but it did manage to kill a few enemy before doing so.
    I seem to recall it blew up last game too…

Using inserts to help disguise empty and messy movement trays.
    Though toward the end of the game I did get a bit bored of doing it!

Bit of a scrap, my numbers and mass helping me push back her troops more than any real fighting prowess.

The only surviving flagellant who went on to form a unit with my only surviving halberdier and my very heavily wounded army general.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That looks like a good scrap, and a fun time had!

Maybe keep a bucket of cool water near those canons to douse down the heat a little.ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Angel Barracks

It was, another fun game.

I printed some feathers to add to my metal models. Also stuck on some shields.

Also printed some wheels that have an 8 pointed star as spokes, some human captives in chains and bits and bobs. I am making a war wagon chaos altar for my wife’s Dark Elves.

Angel Barracks

Currently adding more feather and bling to the dudes, just about to start adding greenstuff to theย  war altar:

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 297 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.