Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi 15mm cyberpunk figures and terrain

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by kyoteblue kyoteblue 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I’m thinking of doing a quick cyberpunk skirmish project in 15mm, to keep the cost and size down to a sensible level, using Hardwired.

I have some GZG SWAT figures for the security forces but have been looking for some suitable figures for the ‘good guys’. I’m also looking for any suggestions for terrain, vehicles, scatter etc?

I quite like the idea of printing some street sections, roadways etc and sticking them down to make a 2D urban terrain board but haven’t been able find anything suitable on Wargamevault.

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster
    Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

The Spec-Sec range from Darkest Star. It’s very much in the Japanese style of cyberpunk, so it may or may not be what you’re after. (I tend to differentiate between western-style and Japanese-style cyberpunk, the former being more greebly and intentionally grotty, but also more OTT in some ways, and the latter being more about sleek mechanical designs while retaining a bit more realism in its depictions of the future, mechs notwithstanding).

ClearHorizon have a few figures and vehicles that would suit certain styles of cyberpunk.

Rebel Minis have a few things also, check out the Black Widow Mercs for instance.

I know Khurasan have or had a pack of Syndicate-inspired figures. I don’t remember what they were called and can’t seem to find them now. In any case, there are various other Khurasan figures that could play certain roles in cyberpunk.

What do you have in mind more specifically? Grotty street punks? Super-sleek special ops types? Rampaging bots? Trenchcoat people?

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

More the super sleek. That’s a great start..thanks.

I have The Scene Authorities set and was thinking of using them for some uber cool corporate  bodyguards. They are very nice figures.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I found the Khurasan Syndicate-style figures, they’re the “PNHE Cyborg Agents”. Khurasan also have some very cyberpunky sleek cars (but so do Darkest Star – I have some of them and I love them).

Oh, and as for Rebel, to name another specific pack that might interest you, there’s the Gun Clerics. But my general recommendation is still to comb through all the non-aliens in the entire Rebel 15mm sci-fi range (ditto ClearHorizon and Khurasan).

It’s not lost on me that all the companies I’ve mentioned are in the US. Generally it seems to me that North American miniatures manufacturers are more prolific than British ones when it comes to sleek sci-fi aesthetics. There seems to be more of a tradition of greebly, gritty sci-fi with British manufacturers. But I digress.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Rhoderic Rhoderic.

Etranger
    Participant

Some of the Alternative Armies/Ion Age figures may work too, they tend to be on the larger side of things though.

Corporate Security or the Feds, depending upon the game. A mix of Rebel Miniatures and The Scene. Wheels from Khurasan.

Dan Rayner
    Participant

RalParthaEurope carries the Critical Mass Games line.  You might find some useful spec ops types among their Mercenaries. The Vadorian Assassins in particular have a good tech-ninja vibe.

Magister Militum has the Oddzial Osmy miniatures from Poland.  The Insurgents have a pretty good street punk feel, and there are some Vampires armed with swords and machine pistols in very dynamic poses which could also work for you.

This free futuristic industrial game mat from Topo Solitario might suit you:

http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/tableros.html

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Its not lost on me that all the companies I’ve mentioned are in the US. Generally it seems to me that North American miniatures manufacturers are more prolific than British ones when it comes to sleek sci-fi aesthetics. There seems to be more of a tradition of greebly, gritty sci-fi with British manufacturers. But I digress.

I know what you mean. A lot of the UK ranges are aimed less at role-playing / skirmish and more at larger scale wargaming I think. It’s a definite gap to be filled by somebody.

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I forgot about both Ral Partha and the O8 figures. Great idea. I’ll have a look.

I’ve found some suitable things in the GZG range including drones, spider droids and some character figures that might do.  They’re listed as Free Trader Crew Pack A.

What do you think?

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Some of the Alternative Armies/Ion Age figures may work too, they tend to be on the larger side of things though. Corporate Security or the Feds, depending upon the game. A mix of Rebel Miniatures and The Scene. Wheels from Khurasan.

Those look great. Nice work. I have the figures from The Scene already but they are a bit bigger than my GZG SWAT troopers as you point out.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

As pointed out above, my Spec-Sec range is supposed to be a GiTS/Appleseed inspired, as there are a lot of vehicles in there.  In fact, I’m about to release a trio of new ones that will have enough options to make many different versions.

I’ve seen some great post-apoc figures that’d be great for gangers and combat zone dwellers.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Good catch with the Critical Mass Vadorians. I never saw them in a cyberpunk light before but now I do.

For drones in a cyberpunk context, I would also go with the GZG ones. They’ve got the right “techy” look without appearing too ultra-futuristic (especially the “copter” drones – I’m hesitant about having anti-grav technology in my cyberpunk). If, however, your cyberpunk vision includes anti-grav, then you can also find drones scaled for 15mm at Brigade Models (under PacFed) and the aforementioned Critical Mass range from RPE (under ZAS and Astagar).

The GZG Free Trader Crew of course are characters from Firefly/Serenity. Splintered Light (another US company, sorry) make two 15/18mm sets based on that same thing.

@DSG: Looking forward to seeing the new Spec-Sec vehicles.

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Excellent ideas. Thanks guys.

I also thought these hi-tech ninjas would be good as H-SEC elites or even as agents:

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

And if I was in the US I’d be filling up on all those fantastic Khurasan figures too. Perfect!

Those Dark Star Spec Sec figures are almost custom made for Hardwired as well. Brilliant!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Jim Jackaman Jim Jackaman.
    kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Rebel Miniatures has some figures that could add variety to the project.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.