Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 15mm Desert Fantasy

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Tim
    Participant

Hi all,

Having spent most of this year bouncing around various projects (and finishing about 10 models!), I’ve finally found a something that seems to have scratched the hobby itch – 15mm Desert Fantasy. Not for any specific background or game really, it’ll be sort of Conan/Burning Sands/Greek Myth flavoured, with a hefty chunk of inspiration from one of my all time favourite video games, Dungeon Siege II.

So without further ado, the first minis I’ve painted up

More to come, if I can work out the formatting on my phone!

Cheers,

Tim

Mike
    Keymaster

Oooh nice work!

Tim
    Participant

Thanks Mike, she was a properly satisfying model to paint. Was thinking about trying gold stripes on her trousers, but gave that up as a bit too difficult!

And for her to scrap with, this is a Magister Militum Minotaur (say that 10 times fast)

Tim
    Participant

And a couple of terrain bits, an alter for out in the desert, and planters for courtyards/gardens etc

Thomaston
    Participant

Thr minotour looks really. Darkskin character is a nice change.

Tired is enough.

kyoteblue
    Participant

It all looks good.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Nice start.

Great to see a classic Minotaur (even if I did fail your ‘say that’ challenge) without loads of armour and the alter is a great set piece.

Mike
    Keymaster

Darkskin character is a nice change.

Agreed!

Tim
    Participant

Thanks all!

Painting Eydis with dark skin was partly a reaction to finishing this Copplestone Barbarian, and realising quite how much factor 50 he’d require in the desert…

I’ve got a really nice recipe now, using Vallejo Mahogany Brown as a base – it’s a lot of fun after years of defaulting to variations of the old Dwarf Skin

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That is indeed one tan dude!  Looking pretty good.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

That minotaur is cracking! Nice work.

Tim
    Participant

Thanks all for your kind words 🙂

Not making progress at the minute as my painting desk is also the office (and, occasionally, the dining table), but I have varnished a couple of Magister Militum Beastie Boys

Just the one pose, but nice models for that.

I’ve had a nice order arrive from Crom’s Anvil today, (thanks Michael!), and it’s thrown up a question – how do people go about basing civilians? Single basing does fit with everything else I’ve done, but little crowd vignettes really appeal – but are less usable? Was it The Department that had rules for hiding in/interacting with crowds?

Cheers,

Tim

Angel Barracks

Thanks for the e-mail.
    Yes maybe I should do civilian rules.

Though in all my games thus far, they just run for cover when the fighting starts, but maybe special scenarios can have hostage rules or such like.

/will ponder

Tristan Stasiulis
    Participant

Loving the darker skin! Also, I’ll have to be sure to pick up some of those beastmen on my next order from MM! As for civilians, could you single base them and then get/create some movement trays for them?

Mike6t3
    Participant

I too like the Dark Skinned look. How about a Centaur ? Half Dark Skinned Human, Half Zebra !! Not sure I’d fancy painting those stripes however 😁

Get there fastest with the mostest and roll highest.

Mike

Tim
    Participant

Thanks both!

As for civilians, could you single base them and then get/create some movement trays for them?

That’s no bad idea at all – I have some Warbases trays somewhere as well, though the compromise of a double height base might be a little annoying

There was someone on a TWW thread that had converted a Crom’s Anvil Yasmina into a Lion Centaur, I’m definitely inclined to pinch that idea

Mike
    Keymaster

Yeah and a Bodyguard into a Djinn.

Geof Downton
    Participant

Tim, backing up a few days, I’m interested in your desert altar. Is it something you bought, and if so from where, or something you made, and if so how? I can think of nearly a million uses for such a thing.

…and I agree about the African zebra centaur…

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Tim
    Participant

Geof – no, it’s nothing fancy at all – the skulls are Crom’s Anvil, but the altar itself is just 2 pieces of slate (from Morrison’s car park…), shaped slightly with a hammer, then glued together and painted. I’ve made a few standing stones in the same way, just a single piece stood upright

Geof Downton
    Participant

Thanks Tim, I thought that might be the case when I* was putting some (too small!) slate chippings in my garden yesterday.

*When I say ‘I’, I mean ‘my wife’.

Tim
    Participant

Not quite finished as yet, I’ve been working on the Erland to go with my Eydis. Despite my attempt to move away from doing pale skin, this one kind of suggested itself…

Gerlant of Simurgh ☺️

Also painted up the first of my bandits, riffing on AB’s take, I’ve gone for Xyston Scythians

Thanks Tim, I thought that might be the case when I* was putting some (too small!) slate chippings in my garden yesterday.

*When I say ‘I’, I mean ‘my wife’.

too late to tell her that you need bigger slate on the garden? For purely aesthetic reasons, of course!

Geof Downton
    Participant

too late to tell her that you need bigger slate on the garden? For purely aesthetic reasons, of course!

We would both have preferred bigger, but we would have had to have bought four times as much, and I don’t really need a million desert altars, whatever I may have said earlier.

(Shh… I spotted some bigger stuff in a neighbour’s front garden this afternoon…)

Tim
    Participant

It seems rather in the Conan spirit to stealthily purloin from next door!

Mike
    Keymaster

Cool, a silver sword and a steel sword eh.

Tim
    Participant

Cool, a silver sword and a steel sword eh.

That’s the plan! Thinking on it, a suitably painted Eydis would be an excellent Ciri proxy…

Tristan Stasiulis
    Participant

That’s no bad idea at all – I have some Warbases trays somewhere as well, though the compromise of a double height base might be a little annoying There was someone on a TWW thread that had converted a Crom’s Anvil Yasmina into a Lion Centaur, I’m definitely inclined to pinch that idea

Do you have access to a 3d printer?  if so, modeling some rings for your bases to sit in if fairly simple.  Then just glue those on a suitably thin piece of plastic card.  shouldn’t be too noticeable of a height bump.

Geof Downton
    Participant

It seems rather in the Conan spirit to stealthily purloin from next door!

I’ll just have to take care not to use it with my Biblical stuff or it’s off to the Fires of Gehenna…

DaveH303
    Participant

Some nice work there, I like to mix historical ranges in with the fantasy to give more variety.

Tim
    Participant

Do you have access to a 3d printer?

Sadly no – working from home at the minute means I can’t sneak one past the other half either! 

I’ll just have to take care not to use it with my Biblical stuff or it’s off to the Fires of Gehenna…

Your commitment to realism has its limits I see!

Some nice work there, I like to mix historical ranges in with the fantasy to give more variety.

Cheers, yeah, a fancy hat and an odd paintjob can do interesting things

Geof Downton
    Participant

Your commitment to realism has its limits I see!

Also my commitment to reality – which is why at 61 I’m still playing with toys!

Tim
    Participant

Rather than tackling the increasing lead mountain of shame this weekend, I’ve instead been noodling about with terrain. I’ve had for years the bits and plan to make modular sci-fi terrain as per Spacejacker’s excellent and much imitated spaceport [Link] – I don’t really need sci-fi interiors, but I do find myself in need of temples, harems, palaces, museums, taverns, markets…

So a rough WIP of the first time below, the first few will be super generic for adding scatter terrain to, but after that, I’m thinking carpets, raised platforms, tiles, pools, wooden floors – all that good stuff

Mike
    Keymaster

Cool cool cool.

Tristan Stasiulis
    Participant

Brilliant! Looking forward to the detailed ones. It’s something I always find myself struggling with when it comes to terrain: detail vs playability and modularity.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.