Home Forums Modern 15mm East Germans

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

As previously mentioned, I got some of the new ‘Team Yankee’ East Germans last week and have painted up the first couple of units.  These are truly lovely figures.

I’m painting them for the early 1980s (I’ve settled on 1984 as my preferred year), so decided to go for the early brownish ‘Raindrop’ camouflage uniform and grey webbing, with a mix of helmet covers and bare grey metal helmets (a mixture is seen in plenty of photos).  Ammunition pouches were commonly issued in ‘Raindrop’ at this time, though knapsacks frequently appeared in a mixture of grey and ‘Raindrop’.

‘Raindrop’ camo is impossible to paint at this scale, so you have to make a judgement on what colour it actually looks like at a distance.  I went for a lightened Humbrol 155 US Olive Drab, though Humbrol 72 Khaki Drill would also have worked.  In future, I might use 72 for items of ‘Raindrop’ camo webbing, such as ammo pouches and knapsacks.  I’ve added a photo at the end of a modern ‘reconstructed’ East German soldier of the period.  Grey webbing items nd uncovered helmets are 67 Tank Grey, highlighted with 111 Uniform Grey.  Shoulder-boards are lightened 111 Uniform Grey.

In the late 80s they adopted a distinctly greener version of the ‘Raindrop’ uniform, as well as ‘Raindrop’ webbing straps.  They also removed the traditional field grey shoulder-boards from the jacket.

Anyway, here are the models.  I particularly like the SA-7/14 gunners in sunglasses. :

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

ArmiesArmy
    Participant

nicely done!

Just Jack
    Participant

Those look great!

V/R,
    Jack

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Cheers chaps! 🙂

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

kyoteblue
    Participant

Very good.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.