Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 15mm Fantasy Skirmish Figures

Tagged: 

This topic contains 33 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Angel Barracks Angel Barracks 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So, looking around for characters for my 15mm Crom! games I am having a few problems.
    There is very little in the way of individual figures available.
    I saw a couple of figures I liked but they were both in separate packs.
    To buy both packs with shipping was about £15.00, which even for these perfect figures was too much for just two models.

So in the same way I did individual 6mm sci-fi character models and charged more per figure, but sell them as single figures, would you be interested in being able to buy single 15mm fantasy models, and how much would you be willing to pay given the fact you can buy just exactly the ones you need rather then multiple packs?

Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Participant

Great idea,

single figure and maybe triple figures sets.

if a 6mm character is 50p a 15mm could be £1,5, and any possible triple figures set £4. It’s really pain when you want a single figure but you need to buy 10 of them.

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Hi, not even that much.
    I was thinking maybe £1.00 which seems to be about double the normal, but if you can save money by not buying multiple packs.
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Participant

Sure £1 will be better!

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

Ral Partha sell singles from their Demonworld packs at 75p per figure, which seems about right.  http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/fantasy-15mm-c-195/

Mind you I would be prepared to pay £1 per figure for one-off figures if the sculpting was as good as the Copplestone barbarians, which are the best 15mm fantasy figures I have seen.

PatG
    PatG
    Participant

I recently sold off (actually traded) some 15mm Ancients and figured about $1 Canadian per figure in bulk. £1 would be about right for a specific character.  Shipping would be the killer.

Anonymous

If you have the figures I want then that price is good.  But, postage might kill my interest for singles.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Bumping this for feedback as the first batch of figures are at the casters and I should have some painted samples in a while..

75p seem a good price for character models that you don’t need to buy in multiple packs?
    Just want that one sorcerer and not the others in the pack?
    Bingo Bango..

Be massively honest as people said my  price suggestions for my 15mm buildings was fair and they ain’t selling (though that could be that they are crap and not over priced!)

Etranger
    Participant

I’m skint, otherwise I would buy some!

I’d consider up to £1 per figure for character figures. 75p seems fair.

General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Judging from the greens you showed of the sorcerer figures I think 75p would be a very fair price.  With regard to the buildings, I think the quality looks excellent so maybe the price is an issue.  But to be honest I’m not sure on that one because I’m not really in the market for buildings (I use hex maps for my 15mm RPG).

Another thought is that possibly for people who haven’t been following your progress here on TWW your web store might be a bit off-putting.  Personally, I like the way you are creating a world as well as a shop front but it maybe that people who are just looking for buildings or have stumbled across it could find it a bit confusing.  Would it be worth adding a ‘Store’ page where the items for sale are listed in a more traditional manner?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Hi, so a quick FB and people are confused, they are pretty much all expecting a shop page as that is the norm.

I have done a slight change to the site, how is it now?

General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

Hi Mike,

For me the ‘Shop’ option only appears in the menu when I click on the link to Utuseb.  I think it needs to appear on the front page (and all the other pages).  But otherwise definitely a step in the right direction.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Sounds like a cookie/cache issue?

If you have not cleared them could you try that and let me know if that works?
    Seems to be ok for others…

General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Clearing the cookies worked and now I just get four menu options on every page (Home, Shop, Chronicles and About).  I think it has made things much clearer.

Just one more thought to do with selling figures.  Will it be possible to make the post and packing costs slightly lower for small orders of figures?   I know it makes no sense but psychologically speaking I would prefer to be charged more for the figures and less for the postage.

For example if I am buying four figures at 75p each then £3.50 postage seems steep. I would be happier buying four figures for £1 each and only be charged £2.50 for the postage. Either way, it costs me £6.50 but I am happier knowing the figures cost more than the postage.

Like I say, it doesn’t make any sense, but there you go . . .

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Yes and no.

I can’t alter the postage costs for figures but I can and will do a refund where possible. Seems to work on the Angel Barracks 6mm character models.

Plus will totally redo the site tonight to make it very conventional.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Angel Barracks Angel Barracks. Reason: words
    General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

Cheers Mike,

That sounds fair enough.

Etranger
    Participant

Yes, postage costs are fixed!

Manchu
    Participant

people said my price suggestions for my 15mm buildings was fair and they ain’t selling

From experience, I disagree!

Battlefront is selling a “Large Desert House” for about twice what you are asking. Now, theirs comes pre-painted but the completely perfunctory GF9 factory paintjob isn’t worth the price bump to me – especially considering (1) we’re talking about a very easy paint project when it comes to dry mudbrick and (2) more idiosyncratically, weirdos like me love painting terrain.

But to be honest I never knew I “needed” a mudbrick village (and in 15mm?!) until I saw your marketing photo of Simurgh framed up with the iconic Conan font. And to be perfectly honest it was the Shrine that sold me on the whole range. There is nothing like it on the market so far as I am aware. It fairly screams CONAN!

The same thing applies to the question of 15mm figs. On the one hand, you’re swimming against the current by using 15mm for a low fig count skirmish context. On the other hand, while there are growing options for Hyborian miniatures  in 28-32mm, including licensed products, there is so little available in 15mm. A quid for three 15mm (but please closer to Copplestone and Xyston “heroic” [i.e., 18mm] “15mm” rather than “true 15”) is totally reasonable if you can sculpt something that captures the look of Milus’s film or Frazetta’s covers.

My personal “area of interest” when it comes to miniatures gaming is low (and especially what I call ultra-low) fig count skirmish games where dense, characterful terrain is a very high priority. But why bother with setting the stage if you don’t have the players?

http://lifeonjasoom.blogspot.com/

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

I agree the prices are more than fair.

I just ordered some men of the east figures from splintered light this month(25% of till 2nd of july)and now I’m just waiting for you to release those minis you’ve been teasing us with so I can place my order from Crom’s Anvil.

I’m thinking something along the line of: figures,big building, shrine, staired house and probably all the town of Simurgh scatter terrain.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

The same thing applies to the question of 15mm figs. On the one hand, you’re swimming against the current by using 15mm for a low fig count skirmish context

Ha, well seeing as we have only just met, you won’t (I assume) be familiar with my stubbornness in trying to get people to downscale.
    I like to think I played some part in getting people into 6mm sci-fi skirmish with individually based 6mm, rather than 15mm.
    So in my brain box, getting people to do 15mm fantasy rather than 28mm fantasy seemed the next step!

😀

I do a range of 6mm character models that you can buy singles of and they sold far more than I hoped, I think the selling point was the level of detail/character and the fact you did not have to buy a whole pack to just get that 1 figure you liked.

That is my plan with the 15mm.
    There are loads of cool 15mm models but a great deal of them are in packs.
    I was looking around when I first got into 15mm fantasy a few months back and found about 6 figures I really really wanted but they I needed to buy 6 packs and with postage and everything it would have knocked me back about £60.00 for the 6 models.

So the plan is to sell single figures on their own, which whilst each figure on it’s own will be more per figure than were it in a pack, it will end up cheaper for the customer as they need only buy what they want and not have lots of left over models.

Thanks for joining TWW BTW!

jagannath
    Participant

On the one hand, you’re swimming against the current by using 15mm for a low fig count skirmish context.

Without sounding defensive over my chosen scale, I think 15mm is in the ascendancy still – there’s some really excellent stuff coming out of all varieties. More threads appear on forums daily, and in the sci-fi/fantasy world I can’t remember the last ‘mass battle’ post I saw anyone make…

Single figures at a slightly increased price is the way to go for skirmish minis – I’m with you Michael, I regularly have to buy packs for the odd mini I want and ‘discard’ others into my spares. Don’t really mind (I often draw on those spares) but sometimes there’s a chunk I won’t use (eg I’ve bought 90% of Xyston’s character packs, but only want about 20% of the contents). Weirdly, this approach can make 15mm more expensive than 28 sometimes, but that’s life. Even with this effect the price tends to be balanced out by terrain, which is always cheaper in 15mm.

Ral Partha are obviously putting work into releasing single minis (first Daemonworld and now the former Critical Mass range) so I guess it works. Especially if you contrast that with the feedback Battle Valour and Troublemaker seem to regularly get about their ranges – too big a pack size, too expensive to buy a selection.

Can’t wait for these releases – I’ll be getting a couple of sets, some to convert to Sci-Fi.

Don’t really have any feedback on why the buildings wouldn’t sell – pricing seems right to me (appreciate I haven’t placed my promised order yet mind) – I wonder if, unfortunately, the middle eastern building range is

a) fairly heavily saturated (modern, flames of war, mdf) and
    b) If I was going to try and make any building, I’d probably choose and adobe style.

Dunno, just thinking out loud. I’m super stoked there’s people like you out there though getting things done and making things available!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So, right now there are 4 models awaiting release…

Wizard/Sorceror
    High Priestess and her Priestess acoloytes
    Monk/Priest

What sort of figures would be handy for this type of game?

Villagers?
    Minor NPC types?
    People that the heroes will actually fight?

What would be the most important to you?

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

All of the above, to be honest.

I think that you can’t really go wrong with individual characters, both major and minor players.  Variety is the spice of life!

There is a serious lack of civilian figures, whether they be market merchants, people out strolling, shepherds, etc.  However, I also know that civilians don’t sell as well as warriors do.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Even though I like the idea of villagers I have to agree they tend to be lower on the to buy list.

Some ideas

A fat merchant.

Some disreputable looking caravan guards.

corsairs/ barbary pirate types.

A hulking assistant/bodyguard for the wizard.

Harem girls + eunugh guards.

Gray apes (gorilla-troll crossbreed).

Animated statues/golems.

Thats it for now, I’ve started rereading my conan novels/comics, if I come across any more interesting ideas I’ll let you know.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

A fat merchant.  is such a staple, he is already on the list!

😀

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I think what I will do, is after a few more practice sculpts, do some simple villagers myself and that way if they sell like poop flavoured sweets all that will be lost is the mould cost and not the sculpting costs..

Manchu
    Participant

Just keep in mind there are suitable villagers out there already … may not be the best test case.

http://lifeonjasoom.blogspot.com/

shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

There are loads of cool 15mm models but a great deal of them are in packs. I was looking around when I first got into 15mm fantasy a few months back and found about 6 figures I really really wanted but they I needed to buy 6 packs and with postage and everything it would have knocked me back about £60.00 for the 6 models.

This is the only thing holding me back from doing a Dungeon crawl game in 15mm at the moment. With the exchange rate and postage added, a lot of the figures I want only come in packs that I simply can’t afford to purchase for one figure out of the whole pack.

Enemies are not such a problem – I would be buying orcs, goblins, skeletons etc in packs.

At the moment I am tempted to use paper cut outs for my games.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Mike Mike. Reason: corrected source of quote
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Odds and Sods…

What odds and sods would be handy?

Right now I have some 15mm skulls I will release, always a need for skulls on poles and on baddy walls and stuff. 😀

General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

Tables and chairs, bookshelves, a bar, beds, weapon racks, treasure chests, market stalls, cages for wild animals, amphorae and urns.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

“..amphorae and urns.”
    Big ones that are separately moulded, the kind that people hide in?

General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

“..amphorae and urns.” Big ones that are separately moulded, the kind that people hide in?

Absolutely.  The kind that this snake woman breaks out of in The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by General Slade General Slade.
    General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

If you do decide to do some tables and chairs it would be nice to see something a bit more fancy than the usual solid-looking tavern tables and chairs that most people make.  The world of Conan is pretty decadent so people often recline on couches while they summon dancing girls with a click of their fingers.  Something like this would be good:

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Update on the figures HERE

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.