Home Forums Terrain and Scenery 15mm Mad Scientist's Lab

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    javelin98
    Participant

So, after much delay and gnashing of teeth (actually, changing jobs and apartments), I’ve been able to make some forward progress on a few of the dormant projects that have been deserving of love.

First up on that list is the 15mm Mad Scientist’s Lab, which got its start a year or two ago after I had enjoyed a repeat viewing of “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog”. I did my best to come up with some very steampunky names, but it gets hard to use the Æ thing over and over again. And sometimes, a tilt-adjustable restraint table is just a tilt-adjustable restraint table.

http://shpws.me/MDBi

I’m a little concerned about how many times Shapeways will reject these before I can get them printed. The techs at SW have been rather arbitrary and capricious in their rejections as of late.

http://javelin98.blogspot.com/2016/08/15mm-mad-scientists-lab-updated.html

Thanks!
    jav98

It could be that the purpose of your life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wowzer how cool are those !!!!

nheastvan
    Participant

Love the orb and the electroscope.

Rhoderic
    Participant

They are undeniably cool! What to use them with, though? I haven’t noticed all that much in the way of adventure/skirmish-oriented 15mm steampunk or pulp figures around. I know there’s some (Brigade Games has a pack or two), I’m just wondering if there’s any particular intention behind this set, some range of 15mm figures that’s been begging for accompanying scenic pieces.

The thought of small skirmish-scope steampunk or pulp superscience adventures in 15mm does have an appeal…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Rhoderic.
    javelin98
    Participant

Truthfully, Rhoderic, I have no idea!  This project started in response to a general request on TMP for 15mm VSF furniture.  I imagine someone would use these with an RPG, G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T., Space: 1889, or something thereabouts.

I’ve already had a request to scale these up to 28mm, so I’ll work on that in the next week or so.

It could be that the purpose of your life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Those look like they would go well with Blue Moon’s 15mm Horror range, which contains a few bits of lab equipment already but could do with a lot more.

javelin98
    Participant

Those look like they would go well with Blue Moon’s 15mm Horror range, which contains a few bits of lab equipment already but could do with a lot more.

I hadn’t seen Blue Moon’s lab stuff before!  I wonder if they would want to produce these in metal, since that would be astoundingly cheaper than printing them through Shapeways.  I may have to make inquiries.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This will fit perfectly into my plans for moving all my genres to 15/18mm including VSF (such as In Her Majesty’s Name) for games. *

I initially ordered the less expensive material but if they look as good in person then I may order the more expensive material.  Some items also have potential for those who game in larger sizes as backpack items (heavy and bulky if you have ever lugged a “man portable” radio through terrain but doable.)

*= some legacy items will remain in larger size such as multiple hundreds each of DK and RP Dwarf, Goblin, and Elg armies from 1970s.  Even duplicating my Tarzan IHMN forces in 15mm.  Ditto Soldados de Cuera unless someone gives me a huge inheritance…

javelin98
    Participant

That’s great, Glenn!  And if there are other special items you want to see in this scale, feel free to send me some pics and I’ll do my best to build them for you.

Thanks,

Andreas

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, here is one.  In IHMN the Arc weapons require an Arc Generator to work.  It is spoken as being back portable (though so heavy characters are not capable of “running” movement) and while there are some figures with one sculpted on there is a dearth of proper sized 15/18/25/28mm such devices to add to a figure – all I have found were plastic Steampunk units that seemed to big for anything below 32mm sized humans to pack around.  They absolutely dwarfed my Reaper female mad scientist that I wanted to add the unit to.

Darryl Smith
    Participant

These would also be useful for alien spaceship interiors within an XCOM setting. Nice!!

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

javelin98
    Participant

So here is my first pass at the Arc Generator pack. Not knowing exactly what it is supposed to look like, I decided to just go with a flywheel mounted under some vertical steampipey thingies. There’s also a hole on the lower right for easy connection of a cable (I’d suggest fishing line or guitar string).

What do you think, Glenn?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by javelin98.

Anonymous
    Inactive

<hr />

As for 15/18mm  steampunk miniatures I believe Rebel Minis has two sets of adventurers (I own at least one of the sets.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Lead Adventure Miniatures – for larger figures – Clyde if the Bonnie and Clyde set.</p>
    Expedition to the Contaminated Lands, Defenders of the Empire, and Ottoman Heavy Support for some examples of Arc Generator kit.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, Rebel Miniatures has a whole page of Pulp Adventures sets with some more VSF than Steampunk sets of Heroes and Villains.

And a “15mm scale British Police Call Box” set for WHOever might have an interest.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Almost forgot that Rebel Minis has a set of 5 Steampunk Adventurers (very restrained, very VSF, in appearance.)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like the design.  Let think about how it might be perhaps modified but the basic design looks good.

javelin98
    Participant

Okay, and I sketched up two more designs last night.  I’ll post pics of those after I get home from work today and you can see how they look.

Thanks!

jav98

javelin98
    Participant

I see what you did there…

Anyhoo, here are two more designs:

Anonymous
    Inactive

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Both look good, the one on the left is more VSF-ish but the one on the right would work (and be perfect for “Dieselpunk” games in a AQMF type games with 15mm figures.)</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Waiting for my order of the first set.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I would order a set with both or either of the second two examples.</p>

Grrr, undoing an accidental edit is not intuitive, at least not to me…

javelin98
    Participant

Okay, how many would you like in a pack?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Whatever works best but all three in duplicate (in case I lose/screw up one.)

javelin98
    Participant

Here you go! There are ten of each in this pack.

http://shpws.me/MKN4

Thanks!
    Andreas

Anonymous
    Inactive

Awesome!  I just received payment from something sold to a friend almost a year ago (never were in the same place when he had cash with him) but I knew he was good for it eventually that will let me buy some hobby items after depositing the cash Monday.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Received Mad Scientist Lab set yesterday – hope to have pre-paint and primed pictures up this weekend.  Just need to figure out how to post them here…

i like what I received.  Need to pay bills then order some portable generators.

Mike
    Keymaster

Click the img tab and paste in the URL of the image.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Having problem loading test image from Flickr.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ordered a set of the backpack arc generators in black.

javelin98
    Participant

Great! I hope they’ll print. The new BHDA material has been highly problematic so far.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Arrived today.  Looks fine.  Now to hook them to some figures and see how they look “in use.”

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.