Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi 15mm Traveller Wargaming

This topic contains 74 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Evyn MacDude 1 day, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Ok.. I’m interested in more than one wargaming genre/era. I like Sci-Fi, Ancients, Napoleonics, WWII, Modern, ECW, Colonial Wars and any number other eras of warfare. I read history books, science fiction, historical fiction and fantasy. I’m also a diehard Traveller fan. Since getting back into wargaming, I’ve tended to focus on Sci-Fi using rules such as Star Grunt II, Tomorrow’s War and Alien Squad Leader among others. Each rules set I acquire usually has it’s own setting which makes for fascinating reading and inspiration, but the abundance of choices has hit me with a sort of paralysis, leaving me undecided or worse yet, flitting between them, without committing to any one setting. Building and designing my own setting from scratch would be too time consuming and I would agonise over its originality or as is more likely lack thereof.

Therefore I’ve decided to use the Traveller 3rd Imperium setting as my background, in particular the region of space in and around the Spinward Marches Sector during the Classic Traveller period, around 1105 Imperial Calendar (AD 5623). The advantages of this setting are:

1. There are sufficient miniatures ranges out there that are clearly designed with Traveller in mind, enough to field at least half a dozen different forces.

2. Any range of Sci-Fi miniatures can find a place in the Traveller universe, as either local planetary forces or those of major powers in known space.

3. The 3rd Imperium encompasses 11,000 worlds many of which have native intelligent life, meaning that a home can be found for most sci-fi alien miniatures ranges somewhere within it’s boundaries and if not there is always room outside the Imperium.

4. Worlds within the Imperium and outside of it are at many different levels of technological advancement, allowing one to use almost any miniatures range within the boundaries of known space.

As an example of what I mean, I have some 15mm ships from Blue Moon and Sea Dog Game Studios, with Pirate and European crews from Blue Moon. These ships could serve on a human world that has regressed to TL2 or very early TL3, or I could purchase some of Peter Pig’s Red Aliens, Khurasan’s Arak or one could use RAFM’s Aslan miniatures (Car Leonis Warriors)  for an Ensign Flandry feel.

Basically Traveller’s 3rd Imperium setting will let you field any force at any technological level you want, there is even a set of wargames rules for the setting “Striker”. Somewhat dated Striker does seem to focus on modern/sci-fi warfare as opposed to early ‘Ancient or Blackpowder’ eras. I therefore plan to use Striker as a reference, whilst fighting my battles with whichever rules set is most suitable to the style of warfare and the scale of the battle.

Oh.. enough rambling. I’m actually looking for some help in determining which miniatures to use as facsimiles for different Traveller forces.

As an example, I have the following:

Imperial Marines in Battledress (TL15) = GZG‘s UNSC Marines in Hard Suits

Zhodani Lift Infantry (TL14) = Eureka Miniatures‘ Ventaurans

Zhodani Consular Guard (TL14) = Darkest Star Games‘ Venturians

Vargr Troopers/Corsairs (TL14?) = Darkest Star Games’ Garrhul

Vargr Civilians (TL?) = RAFM‘s War Hounds of Sirius

Aslan Civilians (TL?) = RAFM’s Car Leonis Warriors

Aslan Military (TL14) = Khurasan‘s Felids

Urzaeng Vargr (TL14) = Khurasan’s Raug Ceepays (look under 15mm Soriog Empire)

(note: the wiki page is unfinished. Urzaeng Vargr are big, as big as an Aslan, they stand about 2.0m tall and are able to go toe-to-toe with an Aslan in unarmed combat).

Droyne (TL?) = RAFM’s Dracos Warriors

Figure Line Up

I would like to source miniatures to represent the various alien species such as Amindii and Llellewyloly, among others.

Also I have several partially organised forces from different manufacturers, mostly GZG and am currently trying to assign a cultural backgrounds to the worlds within the Spinward Marches, for example I have decided that Efate/Regina was settled by a large proportion of French speaking colonists and still retains some of that culture within it’s population and military, therefore Efate’s off world forces are known as le Legion Etrangere, the legion will accept almost anyone into it’s ranks, soldiers are rewarded with citizenship on Efate, I’m using GZG’s FSE Legionnaire miniatures. The Sword Worlds have a heavy Nordic/Germanic culture and I’m leaning towards GZG’s Panzer Grenadiers and Jäger miniatures for them.

Any suggestions would be welcome, particularly in regards to facsimiles for Traveller Aliens.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Robert Foran Robert Foran.
    Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Can’t help with the sources for figures, or with anything for that matter.
    But there lurks inside me a curiosity about Traveller.
    As a younger me I worked in a games shop and would look at the Traveller RPG and read it.
    The rules seemed iirc too much for me at the time, preferring a lighter rules system myself, but there was something about the setting that seemed right somehow.

I will be following this with some curiosity to see how it all goes.

🙂

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I am a big fan of Traveller (obviously!) and what drew me to it was the background, and the fact that combat was deadly, unlike a lot of other games that were around at that time.  I just love how deep the background is, and that you can play during any period of the game’s timeline as the rules make it quite simple to do (as long as the GM has the imagination to run a game in a normally not well covered time period).

As for minis for other alien races… that’s a toughie.  Seems only the major species are really covered, but only RAFM makes any K’kree (not that you’ll need them, seeing as they are on the other side of the 3I, thank goodness!).  For the Aminidii… it’s going to be tough.  Tin-Soldier have the Dreenoi, but they are 25mm and even though they’re supposed to be 2.2m tall I think 25mm will be too out of proportion.  Rebel minis has the Manth, Brog, and VOTT that might make good stand-in’s or maybe as other aliens (Vegans perhaps?  Again, not really in the Marches).  Khurasan has a few alien species, but none that can be “grasshopper” like.  There are the wasp types though…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I don’t know too much about Traveler but I do know some 15mm sci fi companies not on your list.

CP Models – small range of figures but great casting

Darkest Star Games – small range but great futuristic vehicles

ALternative Armies have some great miniatures broken into three different factions.  Lots of civilians as well.

As for Grasshopper miniatures I know Khurasan also makes praying Mantis type aliens as well as some large humanoid flies in their Planet 15 range called fecalings.  Here are mine painted as Mi-Go.

Northern Monkey
    Northern Monkey
    Participant

check out Blue Moons 15mm Sci Fi stuff too, they might have something that could help: http://www.oldgloryuk.com/15mm-sci–fi-figures/50/239/585/616

incidentally have you tried the Gruntz ruleset which has a really useful unit builder, allowing you to create your troops/vehicles etc to match the background of your choice

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Big fan of Traveller as well. Back in the day I was more interested in it as a game system. I didn’t want to be “limited” by the existing Imperium. Littel did I realize anything goes depending on where you set your campaign.

Never got into the minis much. I did get some of the original Martian Metals and later the Citadel range (now sold by RAFM under different packaging and mixes) but never did much with them. As back then I was more into 6mm. Out of curiosity, since it has always been a major obsession, what about Striker?

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Mike – Classic Traveller is the simplest and easiest version to play, particularly if you leave out Books 4, 5, 6 and 7 (Mercenary, High Guard, Scouts and Merchant Prince). What they provide is advanced character generation, with characters acquiring more skills at start of play. They also expand upon aspects of the game, High Guard in particular changes the universe from a small ship universe to a big ship universe. Stick with books 1-3 and any Supplements you want to use, add books 4, 5, 6 and 7 only when or if you want to, after you’ve got a handle on the rest. ‘Classic Traveller’ is still available to buy online (only in pdf format though), just do a search and you should find a source. If you want the actual books you need to hunt around on ebay or somewhere similar.

DSG – Man, I love your miniatures, and I do need to to get some more of your vehicles. I am seriously looking forward to getting my hands on some military air/rafts, support weapon teams and walkers in 15mm.

That’s what drew me to the game as well. There’s so many worlds to play with, so many different cultures, all at different technological levels.

I had K’kree back in the 80s. I’d like to get some more just because, but I haven’t seen any on the RAFM site, I’ll keep an eye open for them on e-bay.  The Amindii will be tough, they have 4 arms, and 4 legs (although two of the latter have atrophied), I’ll keep looking.  The Dreenoi might prove useful as a different species, I don’t know which one yet, but I’m sure there will be one. Rebel minis’ Manth, Brog, and VOTT look interesting, the Brog sort of remind me of the Bwaps, so I’ll definitely look into that. Khurasan has some nice aliens, some of which I’ve got and  will likely need to find a place for them. After a while I expect that the Official Traveller Universe (OTU) will gradually transform into My Traveller Universe (MTU). 🙂

OldBen 1 – Thanks mate, I haven’t yet purchased anything from CP Models but I have looked over their range of figures and they do look good.

I love DSG’s stuff as it is so Traveller-ish and reminds me very much of the old RAFM figures I used to have, when I have the cash I’ll be getting more from DSG especially when the new 15mm stuff becomes available.

Alternative Armies has some fantastic stuff, I have a few sets from them, mostly Loud Ninja Games’s Ikwen and Chuhuac, but I also bought some Automata and a Medical Team along with some skimmers from the HOF range, to go with my Shapeways Air/rafts. The SFA is looking good with all the new additions.

Khurasan’s stuff looks awesome too, I bought their Jasmine Throne Foreign Battalion and Satrapal figures for my granddaughter and she loves them. I have several sets of human figures from him as well, but his site definitely needs some study.

Northern Monkey – I’ve been eyeing Blue Moon’s sci-fi range off for a while now, I think it’s their shipping costs that make me baulk. I recently spent nearly $80 in postage on two ships with crew and civilians. That could be due to the size of the box, though. I’ll test it some time in the future with an order just containing figures.

I looked at Gruntz when I started to get back into the hobby, even went so far as to buy the PDF, but ultimately I like the way Stargrunt II and Tomorrow’s War play, probably because SGII was the first set of rules I got my hands on, (naturally I got DSII and FTII at the same time). My research on these rules led me to Jon Tuffley’s contribution to Traveller, (the Power Projection books by BITS) and his foreword in the Tomorrow’s War rulebook, which sort of lead’s to where I am now. 🙂

Stephen Madjanovich – I had some of the minis back in the 80s, they were basically what got me interested in sci-fi wargaming, although it’s taken me many years to actually focus on it. I particularly remember my Vargr, I painted the robed noble with gauss rifle with snow white fur, he was my favourite (we had a snow white Alsation at the time) they were both named Frosty. 🙂  I’m tempted to paint Frosty again, this time around. 🙂

I wasn’t able to get a copy of Striker back then, but I have the PDF now. I probably won’t use Striker to run too many games, but it will definitely inform my play with other rule-sets.

P.S. – When I was looking through the Khurasan site while typing up my response to OldBen 1, I noticed the Naga Cultists in the Cultists of Andromeda range and I think they might be a better fit for Bwaps, depending on size.

I’ll have to make a list of the stuff I already have and what I intend to use it as.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Ok tried to post a list but I lose the formatting  and it becomes a mess, so I’ll keep working on it.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I can’t really contribute anything in the way of figure suggestions unfortunately (except maybe just to suggest the Critical Mass Games range now available from Ral Partha Europe for some “random” minor alien species), but I hope your project turns out awesome!

As someone who’s only become properly interested in the Traveller universe a couple of years ago (having been at first oblivious and then indifferent to it most of my life) I find it intriguing how we don’t all see the same thing in that setting. What I see (and like) is a vaguely retro sci-fi universe in the style of classic literary space opera settings from the second half of the 20th century, such as Larry Niven’s Known Space universe (but with less focus on the “big ideas”), CJ Cherryh’s Alliance-Union universe and Poul Anderson’s Technic History universe. More than once I’ve heard it said, by several people, that Traveller is like Firefly/Serenity, which signals to me that they’re seeing something almost completely different than what I’m seeing. Go figure.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Rhoderic Rhoderic.
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’ve been eyeing Blue Moon’s sci-fi range off for a while now, I think it’s their shipping costs that make me baulk. I recently spent nearly $80 in postage on two ships with crew and civilians. That could be due to the size of the box, though. I’ll test it some time in the future with an order just containing figures.

Old Glory sells BlueMoon in the US, so if you’re Stateside you could avoid some of the shipping extortion.

DSG – Man, I love your miniatures, and I do need to to get some more of your vehicles. I am seriously looking forward to getting my hands on some military air/rafts, support weapon teams and walkers in 15mm.

Thanks dude!  It’s all a slow process at the moment.  The figures for the grav-rafts and the heavy weapons are taking a bit, and my resin caster is having health issues (which is why I haven’t had any new releases lately).  BUT, the walkers are 80% done or so (redoing the weapons so they are more modular) and the Venturians are getting some wheeled vehicles to finish off the 1st gen stuff.  Then I can do 2nd gen grav stuff that fits in more for the TL 10-12 infantry (as opposed to the TL13 LODAVs and battledress)

So, how much are the “aliens” going to feature in your games?

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Old Glory sells BlueMoon in the US, so if you’re Stateside you could avoid some of the shipping extortion.

I’m in Australia, so nearly everything I order comes from overseas.

Thanks dude! It’s all a slow process at the moment. The figures for the grav-rafts and the heavy weapons are taking a bit, and my resin caster is having health issues (which is why I haven’t had any new releases lately). BUT, the walkers are 80% done or so (redoing the weapons so they are more modular) and the Venturians are getting some wheeled vehicles to finish off the 1st gen stuff. Then I can do 2nd gen grav stuff that fits in more for the TL 10-12 infantry (as opposed to the TL13 LODAVs and battledress)

Hope he/she gets well soon, partially for his/her sake, but also for my sake 🙂

I was re-reading the blog posts, on your site and I have no idea how I missed it, but I see you’ve got some 15mm small ships and medium ships in the works, will these be Traveller themed also?

So, how much are the “aliens” going to feature in your games?

Well… I do have a higher proportion of humans in my force, but that is primarily because I was originally focused on the in-game universes for SGII and TW both of which are anthropocentric, almost totally excluding aliens. In the Traveller universe they are common, I expect to use aliens of one sort or another in nearly every game, as civilians/objectives on the table (whatever you do, don’t corner the Virushi), as part of a mixed force (Bwap support personnel, local guides, translators, etc.) or as a complete force such as the Kforuzeng, Ihatei, and/or various mercenary organisations. I’m even planning to create the Junidy Liberation Army, a terrorist/rebel group of Llewellyloly on Junidy (I may have to try scratch building these guys).

I have a copy of Traveller 5 and the world maker section has a slightly different take on populations, basically any world with an atmosphere of 2-9 and a population of 7+ developed Native Intelligent Life (NIL), if the atmosphere is A+ then the NIL is incompatible with human environments. This means that there should be far more aliens than the original Traveller setting provides. The Amindii were only recently added to the mix with the publication of Imperial Lines 6 in 2014.

While I will be trying to model the existing Traveller aliens, I will also be placing new aliens on suitable worlds.

There will be aliens everywhere. 🙂

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

… I find it intriguing how we don’t all see the same thing in that setting. What I see (and like) is a vaguely retro sci-fi universe in the style of classic literary space opera settings from the second half of the 20th century, such as Larry Niven’s Known Space universe (but with less focus on the “big ideas”), CJ Cherryh’s Alliance-Union universe and Poul Anderson’s Technic History universe. More than once I’ve heard it said, by several people, that Traveller is like Firefly/Serenity, which signals to me that they’re seeing something almost completely different than what I’m seeing. Go figure.

Yes, when I first bought Classic Traveller (CT) all we wanted to do was fly the Millenium Falcon. I began to collect the books and gradually came to know the Official Traveller Universe (OTU). Over the years I’ve played CT, MT, HT, MgT 1 and T5, (I skipped TNE, T4, GT and MgT 2) and My Traveller Universe (MTU) has been influenced by pretty much every thing I’ve ever encountered. As a result MTU like everyone else’s has become pretty unique. Traveller’s 11,000 world Imperium and beyond has ample room to accommodate those many and varied influences, without seeming too incongruous.

Best of all, it’s always in flux.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

For me Traveller and Star Wars happened at the same time. Yes I was gaming way back then. Although I read a lot of SF back in the day SW always was my idea of the Imperium. My longest Traveller campaign was running a spec ops team during a Quebec war of independence. Actually just before. Their mission was to intercept and diffuse incidents.

I was also in a long running Morrow Project campaign. If I had the players I would run one now but using Traveller’s (either classic or Mega) game system. TMP’s combat system makes Advanced Squad Leader blush. Or so it was for edition #1 back in the day.

Etranger
    Participant

<……
    Yes, when I first bought Classic Traveller (CT) all we wanted to do was fly the Millenium Falcon. I began to collect the books and gradually came to know the Official Traveller Universe (OTU). Over the years I’ve played CT, MT, HT, MgT 1 and T5, (I skipped TNE, T4, GT and MgT 2) and My Traveller Universe (MTU) has been influenced by pretty much every thing I’ve ever encountered. As a result MTU like everyone else’s has become pretty unique. Traveller’s 11,000 world Imperium and beyond has ample room to accommodate those many and varied influences, without seeming too incongruous.

Best of all, it’s always in flux.

IIRC the ‘OTU’ actually had sectors set aside for players to develop into their ‘own’ TU. The Original Traveller rules were fairly ‘plastic’ in that you could shape to fit your own requirements.

Way back when, (ahem 1981 or so) we ran a Blake’s Seven campaign with Traveller. The only slightly tricky bit was rating The Liberator as it had to be better than the Federation craft, but not so good as to be invulnerable, particularly when up against a flotilla. BTW why did the Federation always seem to send three ships at a time? Four might have given The Liberator problems.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

IIRC the ‘OTU’ actually had sectors set aside for players to develop into their ‘own’ TU

Foreven sector has always been the Ref’s preserve.

Way back when, (ahem 1981 or so) we ran a Blake’s Seven campaign with Traveller. The only slightly tricky bit was rating The Liberator as it had to be better than the Federation craft, but not so good as to be invulnerable, particularly when up against a flotilla. BTW why did the Federation always seem to send three ships at a time? Four might have given The Liberator problems.

I never really got into Blake’s Seven, probably because we had to share the TV between five of us. 🙂 I’m slowly working through the episodes on youtube, it is slow going, the old shows sometimes lose a bit of their lustre when compared with later productions.

I’d be interested in seeing the stats for the Liberator if you’ve still got them.

Etranger
    Participant

They may survive in the Traveller box! From memory we made it around twice as fast and powerful as the Fed craft, so 1 on 1 was fine, but 3 on 1 tended to mean that the Lib would be well advised to high tail it out of there, as was ‘historical’.

Blakes Seven was a very dark series, if you can get past the cardboard sets and dodgy special effects. More shades of gray than black and white sides.

I see someone else has had the same idea http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=47286

Darryl Smith
    Darryl Smith
    Participant

Love the topic. I personally would use the RAMF offerings to cover most of the forces (high tech to Droyne to Aslan, etc., etc.). Then I would supplement with DSG (as those Vents look like ideal Zhodani to me!).

By the way, the K’Kree were not a RAFM Citadel product which is what the current RAFM website offers. They were Martian Metals.

Good stuff, folks!

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’m in Australia, so nearly everything I order comes from overseas.

Doh!  I knew that, memory lapse.  Man, this “over 40” thing can get rough!

I was re-reading the blog posts, on your site and I have no idea how I missed it, but I see you’ve got some 15mm small ships and medium ships in the works, will these be Traveller themed also?

Of course they will!  Buuuut… hit a snag when the place that could do the cost-effective production on 15mm scale Free Trader sized ships went defunct.  This also put the kibosh on a game I was working on that would have included playable interiors for said ship models…  So 15mm scale medium ships has been tabled for now, though I have finished a Venturian Scout Trader in 6mm and am working on a Garrhul Raider and Federation Free Trader at the moment.

Small craft in 15mm are still a go, though their shapes will be somewhat different from those normally seen in Traveller due to IP issues.  I don’t want to get sued over something as highly recognizable as a typical Modular Cutter!

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Of course they will! Buuuut… hit a snag when the place that could do the cost-effective production on 15mm scale Free Trader sized ships went defunct. This also put the kibosh on a game I was working on that would have included playable interiors for said ship models… So 15mm scale medium ships has been tabled for now, though I have finished a Venturian Scout Trader in 6mm and am working on a Garrhul Raider and Federation Free Trader at the moment. Small craft in 15mm are still a go, though their shapes will be somewhat different from those normally seen in Traveller due to IP issues. I don’t want to get sued over something as highly recognizable as a typical Modular Cutter!

Ooooh! Looking forward to it!

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

For me Traveller and Star Wars happened at the same time. Yes I was gaming way back then. Although I read a lot of SF back in the day SW always was my idea of the Imperium. My longest Traveller campaign was running a spec ops team during a Quebec war of independence. Actually just before. Their mission was to intercept and diffuse incidents. I was also in a long running Morrow Project campaign. If I had the players I would run one now but using Traveller’s (either classic or Mega) game system. TMP’s combat system makes Advanced Squad Leader blush. Or so it was for edition #1 back in the day.

I never tried TMP and I think I may have played Advanced Squad Leader once or twice but don’t really remember it.

I think nearly everyone has tried to Star Wars with Traveller at least once. 🙂

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

They may survive in the Traveller box! From memory we made it around twice as fast and powerful as the Fed craft, so 1 on 1 was fine, but 3 on 1 tended to mean that the Lib would be well advised to high tail it out of there, as was ‘historical’. Blakes Seven was a very dark series, if you can get past the cardboard sets and dodgy special effects. More shades of gray than black and white sides. I see someone else has had the same idea http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=47286

I’ll make Blake’s 7 my primary viewing for a while. 🙂

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Love the topic. I personally would use the RAMF offerings to cover most of the forces (high tech to Droyne to Aslan, etc., etc.).

Yeah, I’ve already acquired the Aslan, Vargr and Droyne packs from RAFM. I know it’s the figures showing their age, but the Aslan are quite small when compared to more modern ranges, like those from GZG, DSG, Brigade, Alternative Armies, etc. The Aslan are meant to be about 2.0 metres tall, but the poor old RAFM Aslan (2nd from left and far right) look more like 1.6 metres tall, they are about the same height as the RAFM Vargr (2nd from right), definitely a few inches shorter than the GZG NSL Jäger (human) in the centre and the DSG Garrhul on the far left, and seriously dwarfed by the Khurasan Raug Ceepay in the rear (these last will be my Urzaeng Vargr). I could state that they are from a high-G world and therefore have a somewhat stunted physique. But I’m going to need some good Aslan proxies standing about 20mm tall to properly represent them. Khurasan’s Felids are my current choice, but I’m open to suggestions.RAFM Aslan compared to GZG human, RAFM Vargr, DSG GArrhul and Khurasan RAug Ceepay

Then I would supplement with DSG (as those Vents look like ideal Zhodani to me!).

I’m using DSG’s Venturians as Consular Guard/Commandos, but I’m using Eureka Miniatures’ Ventaurans as standard Zhodani Lift Infantry, they’re armour and weapons look similar but are clearly different. The Lift Infantry wear the Standard Combat Armour, while the Consular Guard wear Battledress.

By the way, the K’Kree were not a RAFM Citadel product which is what the current RAFM website offers. They were Martian Metals. Good stuff, folks!

That would explain why RAFM doesn’t have them. 🙁

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Doh! I knew that, memory lapse. Man, this “over 40” thing can get rough!

It’s easy to forget, I remember having an conversation with someone about figure choices and suggested a particular range, only to discover that he made the damn things. I had forgotten he was the name behind the brand. And right now I can’t recall who that was, it may well have been you for all I know. 🙂

Of course they will! Buuuut… hit a snag when the place that could do the cost-effective production on 15mm scale Free Trader sized ships went defunct. This also put the kibosh on a game I was working on that would have included playable interiors for said ship models… So 15mm scale medium ships has been tabled for now, though I have finished a Venturian Scout Trader in 6mm and am working on a Garrhul Raider and Federation Free Trader at the moment. Small craft in 15mm are still a go, though their shapes will be somewhat different from those normally seen in Traveller due to IP issues. I don’t want to get sued over something as highly recognizable as a typical Modular Cutter!

Shame about the medium ships, and the game. I have some 6mm stuff from GZG and do plan to branch out into that scale for big battles, so I’ll keep an eye on your 6mm range. However, my main focus at the moment is 15mm and I am definitely in line to get your small craft. Different shapes are not a problem, I’ll be forced to use proxies for almost everything anyway since most Traveller stuff is no longer in production.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Working on some terrain here.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Been thinking about and searching for proxies, so far I’ve got some tentative candidates for the Amindii, Peter Pig’s Big Green Aliens and Micropanzers Riavaui. Both look to be about 20mm tall so their close to the right height, both are bipedal with four arms, although neither has the vestigial second pair of legs. I can’t quite make out the the facial details on the Riavaui but they seem more insect like than the BGA’s. The Riavaui offer more variety in poses and overall seem like they’ll require less work to be made into Amindii proxies.

I’ve yet to find a Virushi proxy, I mean how many multi legged rhino-centaur miniature ranges can there be. 🙂 I may be in for some serious modding with these guys.

For Llellewyloly I’ve been looking at tentacled brain type miniatures, figuring I could sprinkle the heads with static grass to give them that dandelion look. I think I’m going to have to look into different scales, because the 15mm ones seem a bit big.

I really need to find some comparison pictures or maybe shell out for a whole range of individual figures and check them against each other for size.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

For Llellewyloly I’ve been looking at tentacled brain type miniatures, figuring I could sprinkle the heads with static grass to give them that dandelion look. I think I’m going to have to look into different scales, because the 15mm ones seem a bit big.

You  could perhaps scratch build some using a poofball (either from the sewing section or perhaps from a silk plant?) and some floral wire?

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

You could perhaps scratch build some using a poofball (either from the sewing section or perhaps from a silk plant?) and some floral wire?

1.2m tall and weighing about 35kg, so I’d say the puffball should probably be no bigger than a human upper torso (with some variation for thinner and fatter Llellewyloly).

Floral wire? I’ll give it a go, I think I saw some at Lincraft last time I was there. They also had puffballs or pompoms in some really small sizes, hopefully they are small enough. Challenge accepted.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Ok…. Llellewyloly (Dandies) scratch build Step One:

Gather the components: Some really small pom poms for the body and some 22 gauge florist’s wire for the legs.

Dandy parts

I was thinking some stiffened cotton for the three fingers/toes on each arm/leg, but when I got home and sat down at my desk there were a few of these plastic sprues from clothing tags sitting in front of me, I use parts of these to make radio antennae for my vehicles, but they look like a better option for Dandy fingers/toes.

plastic sprue

I’ll start work on the first one tonight after we get back from dinner.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Ok… Llellewyloly/Dandies project started, I’ve only made two so far.

The first I did by cutting 5 lengths of wire 12mm long, bending into approximately the right shape for Dandy legs and glued them to the base and then attached the pompom.

Next I tried entwining 5 strands of wire, but that didn’t work out at all.

My third try I cut 3 lengths of wire at 24mm laid them across each other in a sort of star pattern, then rolled half of the bottom strand around the others, after bending the ends to approximate the shape of the legs, I dabbed some superglue onto the folded section and stuck the pompom on top of it.

The third method seems to be the easiest and quickest, the legs still need work to get the shape right.

Fingers/toes are a problem, I tried to make them out of that plastic sprue type stuff. You can see my attempt on the left hand figure, perhaps they’ll look better painted.

Llellewyloly/Dandy Aliens

They’re both not standing upright, and if they did the one on the left would be way too tall, while the one on the right might be a little bit taller than the Sword Worlder Jäger, but if we assume that the hair/fur is rather thick, (like a giant ‘fro), he/she is probably a fair bit shorter than the human, although he/she is probably regarded as tall for a Dandy.

More to follow……

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Just painted my first two Llellewyloly, they definitely look better from a distance. Up close they look like a pair of wet rats sitting on some ugly tree roots.

I tried out different colours for the skin: Lefty (on the left) has Yellow-Green skin on his legs while Frank has Dark Yellow on hers.

I’m leaning towards the dark yellow, but clearly the legs need some sort of texture, the image on Travellerwiki has subtle banding around the legs. I’m not sure how to create that, but I’ll work on it.

They still need some decent fingers/toes.

For the fur/hair I used RAF Ocean Grey on Lefty and Light Sea Grey on Frank, and both received a bit of Field Grey. I think they’re a tad dark so I might give the hair a dry brush with a White or use white Pom Poms next time.

I’m going to keep tinkering with this, experiment with other ways to do the limbs and different paint schemes.

I also need to find a weapons range so I can arm them when they join the Junidy Liberation Army (JLA), a mixed human/llellewyloly insurgent group, fighting the oppressive government on Junidy. I have some of Oddzial Ozmy’s Insurgents which are armed with AK style assault rifles, and I know I’ve seen some packs of modern weapons for 15mm somewhere, so arming them shouldn’t be a problem.

Front View?

Rear View?

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Gosh, those Dandys are tough to do!  They’re looking good.  Perhaps using greenstuf to sculpt the fingers would work?  Definitely for when you weaponize them.  For the banding, just use paint, otherwise you risk getting really messy if you use some sort of texturing agent.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Gosh, those Dandys are tough to do! They’re looking good. Perhaps using greenstuf to sculpt the fingers would work? Definitely for when you weaponize them. For the banding, just use paint, otherwise you risk getting really messy if you use some sort of texturing agent.

They are a bit of a b!tch, but I think I’ve worked out the simplest way:

Cut I piece of wire twice as long as a leg needs to be, shape that into two legs, this becomes the base that everything else is glued to. Cut your other three legs and shape them, then glue them into position. At this stage you should paint you legs and probably do the fingers/toes, and the next step would be to glue your Pom Pom on and paint it. Finally add any equipment you want him/her to use, like weapons, datapads, etc.

Naturally I have yet to do it in this order, so I get mixed results.

I was thinking about using some sort of modelling putty, I believe I have some somewhere, just need to find it. I’ll try that soon.

I was making some palm trees yesterday and found myself looking at the stringy bits of glue from my glue gun as a possible candidate for fingers/toes as well, so I’ll try that too.

I’ll see what I can do about painting the bands on.

Here’s the latest one, unpainted so far, but I tried to get the pose from the Wiki image. The knee/elbow bends need to be a little sharper on later versions. He’s a bit taller than the others but that’s ok as long as the average is about 1.2m (12mm).

Thanks for the advice, mate.

Dandy3

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

My search for Virushi, has taken an interesting turn. I had a discussion with another member in the MeWe 15mm Sci-Fi group about this project, in particular Virushi, he told me that Grenadier’s 25mm Virushi is actually scaled more to suit 15mm miniatures. At first I was ecstatic and went in search of one or more online, but since I couldn’t find any available for sale I looked for images to verify his claim. The images I found didn’t seem to support his claim, and we discussed it further, eventually he remembered and located an image of the miniature with a group of 15mm miniatures, at first I was reluctant to believe that the other miniatures were in fact 15mm, but then I noticed the figure in the far right, which appeared to be a Harook from Mad Robot Miniatures (no longer in production, apparently). From what I was able to glean from several websites these Harook were only produced in 15mm, which would make the human figures in the picture 15mm or close to it and as far as I can tell Grenadier are the only ones to produce a Virushi model in any scale. Anyway here’s the picture, what do you think? Virushi and friends

I’ve searched online, I found two boxed sets of 25mm Grenadier Traveller Aliens with two different sellers, the one I’d be willing to pay for won’t ship outside oft he EU, the other is asking nearly double the price, not including postage. Which means I’m going to have to wait for the price to come down, make my own or bite the bullet and spend a small fortune.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Oh yes, I totally think that Virushi will work, they’re pretty huge and I think it scales quite well.  I hope that’s not supposed to be a gun it’s holding, they’re pacifists!  Someone else has to have one they can part with, I’ll see if I can look poke around some.

Your method for Dandy construction sounds good.  Getting sharper angles with wire is tough, even if you crimp it hard with needle-nose pliers. I had thought about clipping ‘granny grating” on angle but though that would provide some stability/solidity to legs it won’t provide any customization.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Oh yes, I totally think that Virushi will work, they’re pretty huge and I think it scales quite well. I hope that’s not supposed to be a gun it’s holding, they’re pacifists!

Cool and I think it’s meant to be some sort of scanner

Someone else has to have one they can part with, I’ll see if I can look poke around some.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Your method for Dandy construction sounds good. Getting sharper angles with wire is tough, even if you crimp it hard with needle-nose pliers.

I had thought of cutting the legs into sections and gluing them, but the pieces would be way too awkward to work with.

I had thought about clipping ‘granny grating” on angle but though that would provide some stability/solidity to legs it won’t provide any customization.

I had to look up ‘granny grating’. I discovered a couple of things:

A: I did know what it was, I just didn’t have a name for it.

B: it shows up in several blogs as flooring, windows, doors and wall decorations for both miniatures and 1:1 scale ambulant humans.

C: I think I’ll be investigating this further.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

I was reading a write up on Efate/Regina, which I seem to have cobbled together mostly from here with bits and pieces added from other sources I’m unable to identify as yet. Anyway in the recent events section of my cobbled together write-up it mentions “The Birthday Plot” JTAS 23, page 12. I went and had a read of that adventure and discovered The Irklan essentially a cultural group from Menorb very much resembling a combination of Ninja and Hashishim (Assassins). I instantly thought of GZG’s Tech Ninjas, but the Irklan eschew most technology preferring archaic weapons. So if I want to field any of these guys I could basically use any Ninja or Hashishim miniatures I can find. I won’t be working on it straight away, but I’ll be looking for them after I get back from the cruise, any suggestions.

Evyn MacDude
    Participant

My search for Virushi, has taken an interesting turn. I had a discussion with another member in the MeWe 15mm Sci-Fi group about this project, in particular Virushi, he told me that Grenadier’s 25mm Virushi is actually scaled more to suit 15mm miniatures.

Geeze Robert, you are as bad as I am….

Ok, I must say; Hi, I am Evyn and I am Traveller 15mm figure fanatic, 20 some odd years ago I started Lobbying every miniatures maker out there for more 15mm Science Fiction Miniatures for more Figures, expressly for use with my various Traveller games. As we cane see my fellow fans of 15mm and I have had some success.

But still no Hivers…. 8-(

And I am still trying to figure out how to do the wheel ATV in 15mm.

Evyn

Darryl Smith
    Darryl Smith
    Participant

I am working on a bit of a Sword Worlds project. Very small in scope, no vehicles even (well, at this moment anyway).

Sword Worlds posts

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ok, I must say; Hi, I am Evyn and I am Traveller 15mm figure fanatic

“Hi Evyn, welcome to the madhouse…”

But still no Hivers…. 8-( And I am still trying to figure out how to do the wheel ATV in 15mm.

I’m currently working on some wheeled vehicles including ATVs, but I have my own ideas as to how they should look.  Happen to have a picture of your preference?

As for Hivers… they are sooo specific I don’t think they could be done without either a license of IP issues.  My Traveller games tend to take place either behind the claw or out around Gateway where I doubt you’d ever see a Hiver, so I have had no need.  I could see someone with the license doing a character set that could have 1 or 2 hivers in it, that’d be cool!

Evyn MacDude
    Participant

I’m currently working on some wheeled vehicles including ATVs, but I have my own ideas as to how they should look. Happen to have a picture of your preference?

I tend to start with the illustrations in jTas issue 3 and the Traveller book and wander off from there.

As for Hivers… they are sooo specific I don’t think they could be done without either a license of IP issues.

I won’t argue with you there.

I could see someone with the license doing a character set that could have 1 or 2 hivers in it, that’d be cool!

Actually that is a picthable Idea. The question occurred what would a Character set look like beyond a Couple of hivers or three… 😎 Note you would need at least 6 Droyne.

Evyn

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.