Home Forums Modern 1/600 Blue Army for 5Core Brigade Commander

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

My 3mm O8 army for Avalon Hill’s Blitzkrieg, now rebased for 5Core Brigade Commander.

Here you see four overstrength tank companies, six mechanized infantry companies, four batteries of artillery and assorted support units.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool. but tiny !!!!!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Finest quality superior workmanship!

I particularly like how you did the mechanized infantry!

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Actually, this is old painted stuff from almost 8 years ago. I just rebased the stuff to make the paint job pop against the background flocking.

The same figures in their earlier basing scheme can be seen here:

Mr. Average
    Participant

I remember. Going to do up the Krasynorad troops as well?

JozisTinMan
    Participant

Cannot wait to see these in action!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Thaddeus Blanchette:

Teeny-tiny. How do you see them on the table?!? They do look very good however when I squint! To be honest I think the older stands looked better because of the additional green flocking on them. But either way they are very impressive. Well done!

I am thinking of getting back into 6mm large-scale modern gaming this summer and I am trying to decide what rules to use. What do you think about Brig. Commander compared to other rule systems. What do you think are its strengths and weaknesses? I am debating going with FiveCore or with Fist Full of Tows and to be honest I am totally ignorant of both systems. Any opinions which you or any others might offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I posted on your blog as well, but the new bases definitely make the figures stand out pretty dramatically. Very nicely done 🙂

I am finding with 3mm, you have to change some of the normal approaches used for larger figures, to get them to turn out well.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

The Krasnynorad brigade was finished today: a regiment of tanks and one of infantry.

The old bases looked prettier on an individual level, but not as nice en masse, I think. One needs to be very careful, in 3mm scale, to not make the bases too noisy or the tanks — and especially the infantry and small vehicles — are overwhelmed.

Simple is the way to go, for me at least. I may toss some dull green static grass on these bases, though. we’ll see.

with regards to rules, what I like about Fivecore is that they are simple and fast. For more detail, I would go with Cold War Commander rather than Fistfull of TOWs. I have both, but really appreciate  CWC. It’s is a matter of taste, however, I think I’d go with Modern Spearhead before FFoTs.

Yes, Ivan, you do need to change techniques painting and basing these little guys. As much as I love PhD Leadhead’s work, for example (and I really do), I think it is a good example of what happens when you paint and base too realistically: at arm’s length, what you basically see is dark squares. Of course, he thinks my stuff sometimes looks like circus wagons, so we’re even. 🙂

But I say base simple and base against paint scheme, as radically as you dare. It might not look snazzy close up, but at arm’s length, it looks better.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Here’re the Krasnynorad boys. This is about half of a division…

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Note that I forgot to print the tags for the Infantry assets in the tank regiment (to the right). These guys are basically tank riders.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.