Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century 18th Century Big game in UK

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It’s a question really, I know in America a large gaming weekend happens for WSS, WAS, SYW, AWI.

Does the same happen here in the UK, if not does anybody have plans for one or two?

Participant

I don’t know of any dedicated historical events. Certain groups of gamers bring some pretty big games to several shows. James Roach had a great looking Zorndorf game this year.

The Loose Association of Wargamers have a game in North Yorkshire in the first weekend in May. We tend to do an 18th Century Imaginations game every other year. Next year we’re planning something different but we’ve got too many figures painted to leave them idle for too long.

Participant

We tend not to do “conventions” in the UK, not least because travel tends to be more straightforward over here – it’s either close enough to “do in a day” or it isn’t (and you don’t go).  There are a few shows left that are two-day, and these usually involve competitions/tournaments (often part of national leagues that also take place at other venues at different times of the year).   You can sometimes find a wargame being played at an historical event, but this will generally be part of a non-wargaming show that also involves re-enactors, craft fairs, tours of historic castels/houses etc.

You do occasionally get “mega-games” with up to a dozen players per side; these tend to be (a) one-club affairs, and (b) focus on a ruleset rather than a period (albeit most rules do relate to a specific conflict).  For example, about 6 years ago, two groups of players totalling around 30+ in number and primarily from a club just outside London, hired a very large conference room at a Premier Inn, and played Long Island (AWI) and Waterloo over a weekend.   The rules used were from the same “stable” – namely British Grenadier for the AWI, and General de Brigade for Napoleonic (the former being derived from the latter).

The same group has also played similar simultaneous AWI/Napoleonic games in the Officers’ Mess at Wellington Barracks (opposite Buckingham Palace), and the Portrait Gallery in the National Army Museum (Chelsea, London).

Participant

Cheer’s Buff, Brendan for you replies, might kick myself into organising a 1-2 day event down in the south-west next year, I have a fair size hall with decent size tables a mile up the road from my house.  If i can muster 12 players it would be worth it.  Hmm pondering.

Participant

A guy who regularly puts on big (8-10-player) games at our club in Colbury (just north of Southampton), actually lives out in Dorset, and he also does the odd game for the Battlegroup South show at Bovington in July.  He has a massive 28mm collection, which can cover most of the units in the main British and American armies.

http://www.wessexwargamessociety.co.uk/newforum.html

Look under “Organise a game” in the “Historical” section, then click on “13 September – Brandywine Part 2 – Knyphausen”.   He also goes by the name “Bloodyback” on the British Grenadier forum.   Good bloke, and I’m sure he’d be willing to help or give some advice.  If you want any re-enactment input (I know not everyone wants them at wargame shows, but these guys are good), try here:-

http://skg3newsletter.blogspot.co.uk/

The contact is Mike Butterfield who does a Queen’s Rangers officer interpretation (spitting image of the Murray watercolour!).  Do mention my name if you wish as he knows me.

Good luck, and keep us posted on here – it’s a bit of a drive for me (Guildford), but if it’s a good game I might come down for the day to watch.

Participant

Cheers for you reply Brendan, any and all info gratefully welcome.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.