Home Forums WWI 1914 WW1 Rules Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was the activated player (initiative) and was moving a battalion of infantry forward a full move of 8″ when a British cavalry unit chose to “react” and charge the allowed 16″.  He succeeded in rolling to be able to “react” where the rules state he moves half the move… then later finishes the charge (assault move).   The question is… he would contact me before my full 8″ move so I stopped where he would have contacted me at 16″.  At that point I would have only moved 4″.. which under the rules if you only move half (move and fire) you can fire (which we did).  Just trying to figure out if that was correct or if I had gone further (since you can’t fire after 4″ and move) if I would have just taken the charge and not be able to fire.  We figured that my unit moving would realistically see the cavalry charge… stop their move and fire.

Participant

Not sure what rules you used, but I’d say if you and your opponent are both cool with it then your solution is fine.

Participant

I presumed it was the ‘1914’ set from Great Escape Games.

I’ve looked through them but not played.

Have to confess it reminds me a bit of those discussions about which way the end man in a WRG pike block was facing if charged at an angle. I saw two people argue about whether it should be broken down into 1/4 or 1/8 moves to check reaction  times and whether he was fixed or not, while two friends and I finished a game in an evening, leaving them still undecided.

I’d go with what warwell said; if you all agree go with it.  Generally cavalry did get roughly handled in this period although I know there are exceptions in the middle east, but I’d stick with what you’ve decided.

Participant

I presumed it was the ‘1914’ set from Great Escape Games.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.