Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi 1st Edition Dirtside

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

So, a few weeks back I was moving some books around in the cramped confines of what I somewhat optimistically call my ‘study’ and, as if by magic, I stumbled across my 1st edition of “Dirtside” (the A5 size one with the orange cover). It was, incidentally, in consort with 1st edition “Stargrunt” but that is a post for another time. Being in the doldrums project-wise I gave it a read (only the second time since I bought it back in the 90s) and…discovered it to be of great inspiration!

Gathering the 6mm sci fi from the four corners of my collection I quickly made a move to reassert my dominance of the dining room table, which, as a result of not making much use of it recently, I had been losing to SWMBO! Casting aside the objet d’art of flowers in vase and other such ephemera I set to with paint and brush and have now nearly finished enough models for two opposing, reinforced tank companies with additional support pieces. I just need to get a little more scenery together and the whole project will be fit to put on the table!

And so my question is this, does anyone else still use 1st edition Dirtside or has 2nd edition totally taken over? Also, are there any websites/blogs with 1st edition content? Inquiring minds need to know 

Mr. Average
    Participant

You have a real treasure there – I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a first edition copy, but it’s one of my gaming Holy Grails, along with a Mint In Box version of SF3D Original and Steve Jackson’s “Battlesuit,” the latter of which I actually own after many years’ search.

I know I would play it if I had it – I’m a sucker for older editions. I love to see how they match up to the newer ones. I do play 2nd Edition, though, enough that I had a new set of game markers custom laser-cut in acrylic a few years back. Primarily a solo affair due to a mild anti-SF bias in the club, but that’s beginning to thaw, and I expect more play in the near future.

I’d love to hear more about 1st Ed. though. How does it work? Does it bear resemblance to Striker, I wonder?

Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

MrA, I got my SF3D Original via Amazon, mint in box for less than 150usd. I think there are some still available.

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

Mr Average, contact me on Facebook or send me an email to stalinwantsmeforasunbeam at googlemail dot com I may be able to help you 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.