Home Forums Medieval 1st go at Hail Caesar for Wars of the Roses

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I bought second edition Hail Caesar specifically because it pushed its cover forward to include Wars of the Roses.

I am still looking for the right set to run my fictional Piggy Longton sagas and so HC went to the table for the first time as I explored their new unit ‘The Household’ which combines bill and bow into one unit.

Anyway, I covered the game on the blog for anyone iterested.

LINK

https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2023/10/taking-hail-caesar-for-spin-wotr.html

Keymaster

Cheers.

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>And now, after swearing mighty oaths not to buy HC2, and after reading your thoughts and AAR… “O mischief, thou art swift to enter in the thoughts of desperate men!”</p>
    Seriously, as ever, I enjoy and appreciate your thoughtful posts.  I used to play Billhooks, but after a bit, became a bit disenchanted with it.  It was mostly the cards – I have absolutely no objection about cards, as Maurice and Longstreet are two of my favourites, but rather the mechanism wherein you must activate the unit the card draw is for.

I certainly appreciate the fog of war it creates, but unfortunately I don’t like way some really important decisions are therefore removed from me.  I like wargames with lots of meaningful decision points, and losing the ability to decide which unit or leader should activate first is a big loss.

I’m not saying that I should have complete control over everything, because I don’t like that either.  I greatly prefer games like HC, or any of the Rampant series, or For King & Parliament, or Blitzkrieg Commander, where not only do I get to choose my focus, but have to weigh the odds of success versus what needs to be done…because if I fail, there’s a turn over or blunder or both!  I completely agree with you Norm; that’s one of the lovely things about HC.

The only thing I don’t like about BP (and to a lesser extent HC) is another point you’ve already addressed, and that’s the ability to triple march across the table and fire at a passive enemy.  I’ve just flipped the sequence around (fire phase, then move) but there’s a gentleman who’s created Edition N, which extends it further, actually simplifies BP but I think would make Napoleonic BP a bit more, er, Napoleonic.  It’s on my list to try.

I’ll end this, by just once more expressing my admiration for your lovely figures.  Although I think there were some shades of WW1 in your battle; those archers taking cover in a trench filled with rotting dead bodies.  Ugh!  Morbidly lovely terrain piece you’ve made there!

Participant

Thanks Tony, the free downloadable Valour & Fortune rules on the Perry website looks to be a system that those a bit disenchanted with BP could move across to and get the same sort of game, but with unit activation and movement brought back to more traditional lines.

The ‘may only fire if having moved once’ rule is in two supplements, one for ACW and one for Napoleonic – why it never made 2nd BP edition is beyond me, even as an optional rule and this is one of the main areas of the rules that gamers draw a line at as to whether they like or not (Marmite effect!)

The reed filled ditch was given rough ground status and rather than provide cover it allowed the target behind it to count as ‘none clear’ when under ranged fire (archery) and negates the charge bonus when attacked in close combat. I should have mentioned that, as it would have highlighted the relevance of the feature.

I think this simple battlefield will appear in a few more games …. Every increasing your temptation towards HC 🙂

EDIT – Tony, I have added an edit in the post to explain the significance of the ditch – thanks.

Participant

I really enjoyed this. Thank you for taking the time to write it up and post it. 🙂

Your figures are beautifully done. I look forward to seeing more.

I have always been fascinated by the Wars of the Roses, but must resist the temptation to start collecting armies for another period. (I am struggling to resist the new Perry Franco-Prussian range as it is).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.