Home Forums General Books and Magazines 2000AD comics questions

This topic contains 25 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Phil Dutré Phil Dutré 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Thorsten Frank
    Thorsten Frank
    Participant

That goes to fans of the 2000AD comics here. I´m nearly a complete newcomer to this topic. Sure I knew of Judge Dredd (and strangely about Rogue Trooper through a videogame review back in the eighties and actual I play currently the Redux version of the 2006 game) but everything else I´m a complete noob. Well, today I stumbled over the Judge Minty video channel today and fell in love with the Strontium Dog vid.
    I´ve got to questions, first were to start in this to get a solid background and second are or were there any (licensed) mini´s out there? I know that WH40k, especially the original Roguet Trader,  was strongly influenced by all this but it still gives a different feel IMHO.
    Thanks in advance

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Not aware of any licensed miniatures no.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

PS: Good call on Johnny Alpha

Mike Headden
    Mike Headden
    Participant

Warlord Games have the licence for Strontium Dog (and presumably other 2000AD  characters?) but their stuff is pricey (to one who buys mainly 3mm – 10mm stuff these days) but well sculpted.

IIRC £225 gets you the full Strontium Dog experience – rules, figures and miscellaneous widgets.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Shows what I know!!

LINK

Patrice
    Patrice
    Participant

Never heard about them before!

Some of the minis are tempting (others are too weird for me) although expensive, thanks for the link.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    http://www.anargader.net/

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

I reckon 2000AD has produced some superb series, and the album editions of them are one of the few products of British comics culture that are comparable to the enormous richness of Franco-Belgian bandes dessinées.

Pretty much everyone must have heard of Judge Dredd and Johnny Alpha, but I would also strongly recommend, for those who have not yet met them, investing in the albums for Halo Jones, Skizz, DR & Quinch, and perhaps Nemesis the Warlock.

How to make games out of them is not so obvious.

All the best,

John.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Slaine was my main love. Then Dredd, Strontium Dog, Zippy Couriers. So many good ones.
    Halo Jones had the talking cigarette?

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Oh and Bad Company.

Thorsten Frank
    Thorsten Frank
    Participant

Warlord Games have the licence for Strontium Dog (and presumably other 2000AD characters?) but their stuff is pricey (to one who buys mainly 3mm – 10mm stuff these days) but well sculpted. IIRC £225 gets you the full Strontium Dog experience – rules, figures and miscellaneous widgets.

Oh my, one get´s easily whole 6mm division-equivalents for this money….. :-O

Thorsten Frank
    Thorsten Frank
    Participant

I reckon 2000AD has produced some superb series, and the album editions of them are one of the few products of British comics culture that are comparable to the enormus richness of Franco-Belgian bandes dessinées. Pretty much everyone must have heard of Judge Dredd and Johnny Alpha, but I would also strongly recommend, for those who have not yet met them, investing in the albums for Halo Jones, Skizz, DR & Quinch, and perhaps Nemesis the Warlock. How to make games out of them is not so obvious. All the best, John.

You would be surprised! Until today I never heard of Strontium Dog before – and only because of this brilliant fan video:

Heard of Nemesis the Warlock and Rogue Trooper through video games (I think Martech had the license back in the eighties). Same for Slaine, but the whole rest (except Dredd) is completely new for me.

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

Halo Jones had the talking cigarette?

Certainly not. You have got her badly confused, I think with Sam Slade, or possibly his granddaughter, Samantha Slade.

And I bet Stogie would be furious at being taken for a cigarette.

All the best,

John.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Guessing there is no similarity with Freddie the talking flute from HR Pufnstuf?

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

By the way, never heard of any of this stuff, except Dredd and Strontium Dog miniatures (didn’t know there was a comic), before today.

Geof Downton
    Geof Downton
    Participant

I think with Sam Slade, or possibly his granddaughter, Samantha Slade

Both of them.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Mike Headden
    Mike Headden
    Participant

By the way, never heard of any of this stuff, except Dredd and Strontium Dog miniatures (didn’t know there was a comic), before today.

Please! Someone help irishserb out from under that rock he appears to be living under! 😉 🙂 😀

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

The Brigade Games Celtos range is pretty much Slaine.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

The Brigade Games Celtos range is pretty much Slaine.

I know. And they are bringing out new stuff for it soon.

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

Please! Someone help irishserb out from under that rock he appears to be living under! 😉 🙂 😀

Poor feller might never even have heard of Wendy James and Transvision Vamp.

All the best,

John

Thorsten Frank
    Thorsten Frank
    Participant
    Poor feller might never even have heard of Wendy James and Transvision Vamp. All the best, John

[/quote]

That includes me too – I wasn´t aware this is so rich in lore (and a nice crazyness). That was a wild weekend!

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

Nemesis the Warlock, Halo Jones and Slaine were among my favourites too. I have the complete compendium of the first two, as well as most of the original comics including the Slaine mini RPG. I also have a highly collectible Halo Jones T Shirt:)

There were of course some complete turkeys produced by 2000AD too. I never had much time  for that wierd space truckers strip, can’t even remember the name now.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

and only because of this brilliant fan video:

That was REALLY well done!  Thanks for putting that up, really enjoyed it.  I could watch a whole series done like that, easily.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Sane Max
    Sane Max
    Participant

I was a huge 2000AD Fan – I owned the first 5 or 600 progs until I returned to discover mum had binned them all while I was at Uni 🙁  Somewhere there is a wealthy bin-man in Newcastle who has made a living on the stuff I was ‘too old for’.

Early Nemesis, the stuff illustrated by O’Neil, was excellent. Later Nemesis is some of the most turgid cack I have ever read, and badly drawn to boot. I never understood why I liked Halo Jones. Nothing much happens. But I do.

God, ‘ACE trucking Co’ – another awful load of tosh.

But my fave by a mile was Zenith. 1950’s and 1960’s British Superheroes in a world about to be taken over by Nazi Creatures from the Lovecraftian Mythos? What’s not to like? And it was ahead of its time, before the current fondness for Lovecraft in Horror and movies, mostly sparked by Neil Gaiman I think. you can get all the Zenith stuff now, and it’s well worth it.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I wish I’d grown up with 2000AD. We had bits and pieces of it here in Sweden published in comic books of our own (which also had some Dark Horse, Vertigo and other material) but it all flew under the radar for me. I was a bit too young, I suppose. Discovered video games too early in life – they crowded out much of the non-digital forms of nerdy enjoyment. I’ve only gradually become aware that many other instances of nerd culture that I’m more familiar with – such as certain 90s PC games – have some 2000AD in their DNA in some form or another. Like (probably) most Swedes, I didn’t even know the 1995 Judge Dredd film was based on a comic when it came out. At least I get the alternative pleasure of discovering Judge Dredd, Slaine, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog and all the rest of it after the fact. It’s not the same thing, but there might be some mutually exclusive advantages either way, or so I like to tell myself.

Blackhat
    Blackhat
    Participant

My favourite strip was Halo Jones – so much so that I wrote a Spectrum Games based on it in the 1980s – sadly the publishing house closed before it could be published…

Black Hat Miniatures -
    http://www.www.blackhat.co.uk/

Phil Dutré
    Phil Dutré
    Participant

I discovered 2000AD in the late 80s, when I was a complete Games Workshop addict. Many GW games (not only wargaming, also some roleplaying games and boardgames) had strong influences from 2000AD, that’s why. On Henry Hyde’s Patreon site there’s a recent interview with Rick Priestley in which he explains some of the 2000AD influence on WH40K.

My favourite still is Strontium Dog and Rogue Trooper. You can buy collected volumes on Amazon for most of their long-running series.

Figures: GW had some licensed ranges in the 80s (esp Judge Dredd), if I remember correctly, Foundry even had them, Warlord has some of them now. Mongoose did a Rogue Trooper kickstarter, but I think they lost the license to Warlord, not sure.

And you can of course still subscribe to 2000AD today 😉

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Phil Dutré Phil Dutré.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.