Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi 2016 Fluff Build Off

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ok so I can hear you thinking “What the bloomin f*.*k is a fluff build off?”

First a little bit of history, bear with me and all will be revealed.

So last year just before christmas Michael from Angel Barracks ran a 6mm sculpting competition over on his forum.

I decided to join in and even though I had no previous experience sculpting in 6mm I actually won the thing!

This was made easier by the fact that I was apparently the only contestant, but that’s only a minor detail.

Michael ,being the standup guy that he is, said I could collect my prize anyway and offered me a choice between some free stuff from his store or a bespoke one off handmade model/building or whatnot.

Thinking to myself, why get something for free if I can pay for it, I of course chose the latter. This left me with the obvious dilemma of what to ask for.

So after much meditation and fasting on the highest mountaintop I could find locally I’ve decided to give him a choice between two building challenges

For my prize build me either :
    A) The Balrog Tankhunter:
    With more and more RDF units getting the Paladin upgrade kit the Crimson Alliance is finding it harder and harder to take out the enemy armor.
    Tired of getting their asses handed to them everytime the RDF calls in their armored support the local Crimson Alliance cell has hired a crack team of ex jungle wars commando’s (who are wanted for crimes they didn’t commit) to build them a fighting machine capable of killing a Paladin. To do this they have been given free reign of old Mc Guyver’s scrapyard, final resting place of old pickup trucks, farm equipement and just maybe even some army surplus artillary pieces from 50 or 60 years back…
    or
    B)  The “Dude” homestead.
    About five years ago Jeff “the Dude” Lebowski had had it! One day it was the RDF goons trying to confiscate his deema seedlings, the other it was some a-hole recruter for some kind of nihilist poli-clubby thingy, calling themselves the “Junkers” of all things, peeing on his favourite rug cause he didn’t want to join up. Goodby civilisation! The “dude” was packing up and going somewhere where he could abide in peace. So after hooking his trailer loaded with his prized potted deema plants to his RV, and stopping by the dry cleaners to pick of his rug, Jeffry Lebowski rode off into the badlands looking for a place he could drink his white russian in peace. Finding the perfect place, on account of that being the place where his rear axle broke, the Dude has since expanded upon the gutted shell of his RV to build himself a small homestead…
    And so we come to this post,
    once Michael chooses his challenge I shall pick up the other and we shall both document our builds in this thread for your viewing pleasure.
    But that is not all, you needn’t sit around twiddlin’ your thumbs, looking at our (hopefully) pretty pictures, we invite you to join in, write your own piece of fluff and build  “something” to go along with it.
    Just for fun, without no profit, but later you will be able to tell your grandkids “I was part of the 2016 Fluff Build Off!”
    (disclaimer: followup posts should be lower in text and higher in pictures content 😉
    Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Tis a tricky one.

The idea of a Junker ‘tank hunter’ is appealing.
    It would fit with the Junker theme for sure.
    However it is also something I have been thinking of doing commercially.
    So a part of me is thinking why not just wait until the proper models come out?

The abode to abide in is also tempting as you know, cos it is.
    Plus it would give me a chance to show off what 6mm can really achieve, as my buildings on the site have no be easy to cast, which reduces fancy pants details.
    A one off build would allow lots of un-castable detail…

I will have to have a think and will announce here which I will go for.

Participant

Junkers? F***********K me! I mean, say what you want about the tenets of OTC Corporatism, Dude, at LEAST it’s an ETHOS!

Also, let’s not forget, let’s NOT forget, that keeping… Amphibious reptiles… For purposes of… Within the colony…

…that-that ain’t legal either.

errrrr….. yes?

I have decided.
    I will make, The Dude Homestead, AKA:

The Abode.

Participant

Please also add an office for Sobchak Security nearby. 😉

So I started with the vehicle.
    It is a printed sample that I had done.
    I filed the rear wheels off and filed away a groove to add the busted up axle.
    I also spent about 40 minutes sanding down the print lines.
    I have made a rough base from plasticard which will house the build.
    The RV is placed where I think it will be, just the rest to do.

Participant

Our intrepid jungle commando’s have started gathering parts, seeing what needs to be cut away and which parts will have to be manufactured and welded on

So far we’ve got :

The basic chassis/vehicle

Some bullfrog tyres for the offroad suspention

Dozerblades for the frontal armor

A machinegun for anti-personel

And one (maybe two) anti-paladin guns.

I’ll have to make a gunshield and barrel rest for the main gun and  I’m thinking of adding some sandbags as protection for the machinegunner.

The sides need to be up armored against small arms fire, don’t know how yet, more dozerblades look silly, maybe some boilerplates?

Here we can see the original scavenged home that Jeff built and the later expansion which is made from stone and clay.

Next up, the roof.

Now with roof, wall texture, generator and jerry cans plus a little something else…

Participant

Bowling lane?

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Can’t say.
    I will say my first attempt at making 6mm scale bowling pins was not good though.

Participant

Ok, I finally managed to find some time to start putting my homemade tankhunter together.

The main construction is done, the two crew figures havn’t been glued on yet ,they’re just there for the fotos

next it’s time for some greenstuff so I can add sandbags, fuel cans, rucksacks, etc. to give it a bit more of a lived in look.

You win the internet today sir.

Participant

What’s happening guys? A burst of energy at the beginning, and now no updates for a week? By the way, Mike, I saw you used staples and that got me wondering what I could use staples for, so last night I used them to make a 15mm Nordenfeld machine gun from scratch, so thanks for the indirect inspiration.

Alas, I have not had time.

The build of Anshan and Angel Barracks stuff and all that jazz has meant no time for it.

🙁

Next week though should see me start again on it.

Participant

Alas, I to have suffered a heavy case of real life 

Hopefully next week will be better.

Participant

Whoa. Just caught up with this. Epic progress so far.

Tim from Gomi Designs. 15mm Vietnam riverine. www.gomidesigns.co.uk

Participant

…that got me wondering what I could use staples for, so last night I used them to make a 15mm Nordenfeld machine gun from scratch, so thanks for the indirect inspiration.

That is something I’d like to see!

Tim

Participant

Hey Tim
    The prototype took a bit of time and was fairly fiddly, but looks ok. Let me just paint it up and I will post a pic. I want to make a dozen or so in a production line, so if you are interested I can document the build when I get around to it.

Keymaster

Hey Tim
    The prototype took a bit of time and was fairly fiddly, but looks ok. Let me just paint it up and I will post a pic. I want to make a dozen or so in a production line, so if you are interested I can document the build when I get around to it.

oooh, new topic though please, it is a bugger to split topics and move them.

😉

Participant

Will do Boss

Participant

Will do Boss

Cool. I look forward to it.

I’m more a 15mm man but I’m always interested in novel and interesting conversions in any scale.

Keymaster

I’m more a 15mm man but I’m always interested in novel and interesting conversions in any scale.

Does that make you more modeller than gamer?

Participant

Tim, my machine gun is 15mm: I have taken a vow to stick to only 15mm from now on. Except for 28mm samurai. And 20mm world war 2. And 28mm fantasy. And 28mm sci fi. And 28mm moderns. And 28mm zombies.
    The 6mm guys amaze me with the results they get on such tiny models, whether painting, converting, scratch building, or whatever. And SCULPTING 6mm!

Participant

Tim, my machine gun is 15mm: I have taken a vow to stick to only 15mm from now on. Except for 28mm samurai. And 20mm world war 2. And 28mm fantasy. And 28mm sci fi. And 28mm moderns. And 28mm zombies. The 6mm guys amaze me with the results they get on such tiny models, whether painting, converting, scratch building, or whatever. And SCULPTING 6mm!

Mike, I do game. Maybe not as often as I would like. I can’t call myself a modeller as my painting usually sucks. Let’s say a gamer-experimental-modeller.

Paul, I am the same  I thinned down from multiple scales and periods to just strictly 15mm Vietnam and WW1. Then, 1:600 Vietnam Air, which turned into Falklands Air, then Falklands 15mm and possibly Borneo 15mm. At least it’s just two scales – at the moment

Oh, and Full Thrust  – whatever scale that is.

The show has been and gone, but then half term came, now that has gone.

First coat of texture for the ground is on…

What colour grass/flock would you be needing?

(not that close to being finished, but I will need to know at some point)

🙂

Participant

Oh my, I really should get back to finishing the Balrog.
    The Dude’s abode is coming along nicely 🙂
    As for the grass/flocking, the only static grass I ever used came of off an old GW game mat a buddy of mine was tossing out so I don’t really know, summer I guess…

10-4

Participant

well I finally broke out the green stuff so I could add some much needed stowage and such.

I think it looks a lot more like the ragg tag, slapped together campaign expedient that it’s supposed to be.

Here’s a few quick pics before I basecoat it

I decided not to base it so it would be a more versatile gaming piece but I am thinking of building a display base or small diorama for it.

Well that’s it for now, maybe I’ll be able to paint it later this week we’ll see.

Cheers

Stroezie.

That is very cool, I have sent off a figure to be cast up as the dude in the build I am doing for you.
    I have a few more things to add, such as a piece of something drying on a washing line and some other odds and ends.
    Though it is week 2 of a 3 week school holiday, so not much is getting done…

Participant

Awesome! really looking forward to seeing how the Dude turned out.

He he, it sounds like that piece is going to be the show stealer in my collection, I’m going to have to really step up my game for my own builds now :-))

And as to school holidays, I usually find that : holiday for the kids = hectic day for the parents.

I have 2 lovely little girls myself but some days it feels like spiderman and deadpool drank to much redbull and are running around the ceiling constantly jabbering gibberish.

There is a more than fair chance I will be done by month end…

Just been doing some work tonight.
    Pics tomorrow.

WIP:

You can make out the busted axle.
    The Dude also has some of those old school green sun visor/shade things on his RV’s windows, cos they are cool.
    Plus various other bits and bobs.
    More to do, but defo getting there now.

OK, the figure is here and I will, if I have done my sums right, have a spare one I can send you!
    BUT…

It will be unpainted, you can have the pleasure of painting him.

However here is my version of him:

Participant

That is so awesome!!!

You have just made my day 😉

Now I am really looking forward to seeing the finished scene.

Not had chance to work on the building but have managed to base the dude:

Participant

Cool!

Far out man!

What colour do you want the edges/sides of the plasticard base to be?
    Still on for a sort of GW green flock grass too?

Participant

Oops, missed this somehow.

The rest of my board is mainly burnt umber and raw sienna so something along those lines will blend in best I think.

I’ve found the box of flock I used and it just says citadel grass so I guess that’s our best bet.

Cheers,

Stroezie

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.