Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi 20mm SF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sane Max
    Participant

I play many things in many scales. One of my pleasures has always been plastic 1/72 figures – ‘airfix’ scale. I have a number of ancients armies built using some of the more modern, very good ranges from people like Caesar and selected HAT offerings. I cherish them because they are big enough to see and paint, look good on the battlefield, and are by far the least expensive way to build a large force. There was no way I was ever going to do a proper Hail Caesar Egyptian and Hittite army in 28mm when I needed 30 chariots a side, not when I could buy three armies of something else with the money it would cost for one.

It’s always made me curious why no one, ever, has done SF figures in 1/72. Imagine the fun you could have with ‘Not Marines’ and ‘Alien Bugs’ and all the conversion possibilities for the huge number of AFV models on the market in that scale.

I am fully aware that 1/72 is the Ginger Stepchild of the Wargames world, everyone I suspect has idly looked at some of the ghastly figures available from some manufacturers, shuddered and walked away – but Manufacturers like Caesar or Emhar have shown what CAN be done in that material and scale if they are willing to take some care. I am just curious why no one has ever had a go?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Sane Max.
    Gaz045
    Participant

Admittedly not in plastic but there are some about……..

MJ Figures have ‘not-Dune’ and ‘not-Stargate’ baddies…..

http://mjfigures.co.uk/product-category/20mm/20mm-scifi/

http://rhmodels.yolasite.com/

RH Models have several opposing factions in 20mm too…at bottom of page and follow link to old website…..

Both Caesar and Airfix have produced astronauts….more ‘present’ than sci-fi tho’…….

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2245

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Gaz045.

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Angel Barracks

Is stuck in limbo between 15mm and 25mm, just as 10mm is stuck between 6mm and 15mm?

kid bananas
    Participant

It probably isn’t bigger because if you want smaller scale there are so many manufacturers of 15mm figs that you can do colonial marines vs aliens, and just about anything else you can imagine. All for a relatively low cost and easy storage.

The same is true in the opposite direction, although the miniatures will cost more and storage becomes more of an issue.

Also kitbashing and scratchbuilding doesn’t seem to be an issue at those sizes. Personally I don’t see much of a need for 20mm, and I’m guessing most companies don’t see that size as being very profitable.

Then again, who is to say that someone doesn’t invent a game that is wildly successful in this size and spur a growth of lines trying to cash in on it’s popularity like all the 40k wannabe companies or the 15mm manufacturers of late.

Sane Max
    Participant

Then again, who is to say that someone doesn’t invent a game that is wildly successful in this size and spur a growth of lines trying to cash in on it’s popularity like all the 40k wannabe companies or the 15mm manufacturers of late.

Yes…. a bit like the way Battlefront suddenly had huge numbers of people collecting WWII in 15mm that previously had no idea there WAS a 15mm… or a WWII… 🙂

Write a game called ‘Flames of 50k’ and sell it as ‘In the Dark Grimness of the Far Future there is only 20mm’ and you suddenly won’t be able to move for 1/72 scale SF.

If I was fabulously wealthy I would certainly think of it.

Pat

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Sane Max.
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

I suspect it is simply an historical accident.

Airfix laid a massive base for 1/72 plastic figure collectors/gamers in the UK. That was nearly all historical. They were priced at the toy market.

Other historical producers  and ranges found a ready market.

SF never had that base and the lead wargame  manufacturers who saw a market stuck to their own (non-scale) figures. Tooling a production line for a range of figures that traditionally has been low (ish) volume/high unit price is a big gamble. The switch to resin and plastic for existing manufacturers had an existing (captive?) audience.  A new scale venture wouldn’t have that.

Just a prohibitive market entry cost for the perceived return?

Edit: Sorry Pat posts crossed – Yes, it s the old joke isn’t it – how do you make a million in the wargame business – start with 2 million.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Guy Farrish.
    Sane Max
    Participant

Edit: Sorry Pat posts crossed – Yes, it s the old joke isn’t it – how do you make a million in the wargame business – start with 2 million.

It is an old joke…. But Some people do actually make some money… and kiddies DO like SF.

For comparison. Caesar stuck their toe in the water with a Fantasy Range. It was a bit badly conceived – Not-Skaven?…. let’s give them BOWS!. Goblins. 1 Archer…. but it shows there are some people thinking outside the box. The Dwarves are particularly nice.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Really lovely stuff there Pat.

Fair enough – I wish someone would make some, I would definitely be tempted.

I’m sure I should ask this on the Ancients board but as I’m here – who made the Assyrians?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Guy Farrish.
    Sane Max
    Participant

HAT. One of the more puzzling companies – I assume they outsource their sculpting, as some of their recent ranges are lovely, some horrid. Also some of their ranges are made in a new, soft and squishy plastic which oddly takes paint really well, some are still made in the old glossy plastic which doesn’t. The Assyrians are the only range of theirs I would buy.

All the Caesar Biblical stuff is bloody good

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Thanks – been hedging about whether to do these in 10mm or 15mm for ages – looks like its going to be 20mm!

Sane Max
    Participant

Only if you can find an opponent surely? Otherwise they will end up gathering dust, ‘cos no other bugger has a 1/72 army.

I ended up having to buy Egyptians… then Hittites to fight them- then Sea People – then Libyans as allies for the Sea People – then Assyrians as a break from painting things brown and off-white. 5 armies. It’s a burden….

FIVE 750 point Hail Caesar armies – my god, I must have spent well over £300.00 in all! I can see why no one uses 1/72.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Sane Max.
    Mike
    Keymaster

And as if by magicks:

20mm sci-fi

But not plastic.

kurt causer
    Participant

We new manufacturer of miniatures, and have just released our first 20mm SCI-FI miniatures. We currently have only 4 riflemen in production. Due to set backs on our website we have no ‘cart’ system, but if you go to CONTACT US and send your,

-name

-address

-Paypal address

-what you want

We will send an invoice for the products.

The riflemen come as a pack of 4 and cost £4.00

http://k-kraft.com/

To see them properly please look at my blog which can be found via a link on the website.

I have also Launched a Kickstarter to get some Grenadiers into production,

I have a second faction sculpted but still need to get masters produced, with your support we can bring 20mm to the battlefields of the future, 🙂

Angel Barracks

I like them, they kind of remind me of a cross between Imperial Guard and 90’s sci-fi film guys.
    Both of which are good in my book.

😀

kid bananas
    Participant

I got the same 40k Imperial Guard vibe as well. Didn’t someone just run a Kickstarter within the past few months that also had 20mm not-Imperial Guard like figs with different helmets, officers with chain swords, etc?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.