Home Forums Modern 20mm Vietnam War

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nathaniel Weber 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Hey all, I have had an off-and-on 20mm Vietnam War project in the works for a long time, but this summer I dramatically increased my productivity on it, getting lots of it painted. Of course I keep adding to that collection, as is the wargamer’s wont.

Here are a few pictures of some of the collection so far. My ultimate objective is roughly this:

3 Platoons of PAVN

3 Platoons of NLF

2 Platoons of US troops (I will distinguish them organizationally between the Marines and Army, with the right numbers of weapons, but won’t go to the trouble of having different minis for each)

Various US support forces

Various communist support forces

American vehicles and artillery

This selection would allow me to play any kind of platoon-level game, of maybe 50 or so men a side (which my rules focus on), and would allow me to do big convention-style dice chucking games of a company a side.

Anyway, pictures! Minis are a mix of pretty much all the 20mm Vietnam minis currently on the market: Revell/Esci 1/72 plastics; Platoon 20 metals; Elhiem metals; Britannia metals; and RAFM metals. I need a few SHQ, still, and I think there are one or two other older ranges out there that are no longer in production.

More pictures to follow in the coming days as I take more pictures and get more painted.

Just Jack
    Participant

Those look awesome, Nate, can’t wait to see them in action.  Are you working up some new rules for these, maybe an offshoot of “A Sergeant’s War”?  I recognize some of the old ESCI Viet Cong/NVA in there, pretty cool.

V/R,
    Jack

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Hey Jack—yep, parts of my PAVN especially are the old plastics. Nice sculpts and, unlike most plastic sets, no useless/ridiculous poses.

Whereas I like my rules for WWII (and would like them for the French phase of the war), I don’t think they are fluid enough for 1960s Vietnam. I am putting together a super easy skirmish game (well, platoon vs platoon) called “In Country,” which takes the old draw a card/take an action model a la Battleground WWII and Arc of Fire. It has been received well by playtesters and I have really enjoyed it so far.

Just Jack
    Participant

Nate,

Cool! You know, several years ago I ran a Vietnam skirmish campaign I called ‘In Country,’ so I’m digging the title, and hoping you share with the world in due time.  Good luck, I’ll be keeping my eyes open for some batreps!

V/R,

Jack

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Looking good Nathaniel!  I have a ton of 20mm SHQ stuff, so if you need pix just let me know.

Think you’ll hit MilleniummCon this year?  Debating if I want to go and run a game of 2 of FNG, or maybe give Over Green Hell a test run (though I also have a Gundam game still in the works…).  I know they’d like to have me there as a vender, but then I don’t get to have any fun!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Jack: What rules did you use for Vietnam? For bigger games I recently ordered and downloaded Charlie Don’t Surf, and while I like aspects of it, the fact that a totally different mechanic is used for almost every situation in the game is a bit offputting.

Darby: Yep, I will be at Millennium! Gonna run a game with these guys actually 🙂 I think you should run your Gundam game!

A few more pictures:

Elhiem PAVN infantry, carrying a heavy pack

Britannia helicopter crews and NLF/sappers:

Just Jack
    Participant

Dude, that Elhiem NVA looks awesome!

My ‘In Country’ campaign was tiny, following a rifle squad.  I was play testing “Some Corner of a Foreign Field” for my buddy Matt, had lots of fun.

https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2014/06/in-country-game-19-12-jan-1968.html?m=1

(19 fights)

For Cuba Libre I played Squad-sized fights with 5 Men at Kursk:

https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/09/south-leon-dmz-prelude-iii.html?m=1

(go backwards from that fight, they were Prelude 1-3)

https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/09/south-leon-dmz-prelude-iii.html?m=1

(Eight fights)

then some company-sized fights with Squad Hammer.

https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/search/label/Squad%20Hammer?m=0

(Six fights)

V/R,

Jack

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Yep, I will be at Millennium! Gonna run a game with these guys actually

Aces, I’m in!

And ditto what Jack said about the Elheim NVA, that is a great paint jobs, looks like he’s been in the field for a while.  Contrast paints or a wash of some sort?

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Thanks for the rules suggestions, Jack.  I just downloaded Hammer of Democracy (having greatly enjoyed Squad Hammer, modifying it a bit for use with big 6mm scifi games) and tried out a game last night—great fun, will put pictures up soon. I think it will be my go-to game for big battles.

Darby: I actually tried my hand at making my own contrast paints! I followed this video on youtube and the results have been really fun (as an aside, I like that guy’s videos generally—he has a Bob Ross quality).

Here are all my painted communist forces so far.

Sappers, by Britannia and Platoon 20

Elhiem Viet Cong

And these shots are of some of my favorite sculpts and poses:

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

They look great, my friend.  You have enough there to run a pretty good sized war!

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

I played a game and wrote up an AAR—I used one of the Nordic Weasel sets of rules so I posted the AAR in that part of TWW.

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

I set up another Vietnam game to play the other night, and ended up not having time for a game. But I did have time to goof off with the camera for a while. Behold—1st platoon’s been caught in open rice paddies by a VC ambush. Can 2nd platoon hook around the flank in time to save them?

(As an aside: The above miniature is my favorite of all the 20mm Vietnam minis out there. By Platoon 20.)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.