Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 28mm Fantasy Figure Sources?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    irishserb
    Participant

I haven’t done any fantasy gaming since my daughter lost interest in it (first sports, then off-road vehicles replaced gaming).  So, I have two painted (more or less) armies of old (mostly late 1980s-early 1990s) GW dwarves and orcs, and an unpainted Tom Meier elf army, plus a hodge-podge of sci-fi critters and am considering bringing fantasy gaming back to the table-top.  In thinking about this, I’ve come up with a few questions.  I thought I’d pose the questions here first, rather than just starting with blind searches, so here goes:

My old GW orcs have some siege weapons/war machines, but no way to actually move/transport them.  Who might make figures that would work size/style-wise with old GW orcs and what might they be?  I figure some ogres, but am not sure what other sorts of beasts they might use.  Any suggestions?  I would expect to have to do some converting, and scratch-building of the war machines in travel mode, just looking for a starting point with the critters.

A second consideration would be to replace the orcs with a different orc army.  I really prefer the style of the old 25mm ral Partha orcs and goblins, but at 25mm, I don’t think I can make them work with most of my other figures and the terrain and buildings I have.  Are their any other good lines of orc and goblins, maybe that have a bit of that old Tom Meier/Ral Partha orc flavor?

Who might be a manufacturer of 28mm hobbit/halflings ?  Looking for some villagers, maybe with a few stout halflings who might have a thought of defending their home.

What are my options for late 28mm Romano-British or Authurian type figs?  They could be true historical or fantasy/myth oriented figs.

Same question for Anglo-Saxon and Danes, who makes them in 28mm?

In general, what are my options for 28-30mm fantasy figure manufacturers?  Some 32mm might work, but as you get into the 32-35mm miniatures, it just gets too big for some of the other stuff that I’ll be using (both figures and terrain).

My general thoughts about the setting are loosely Tolkien-like.  I’d prefer metal figs, particularly for human and smaller sized figs,  but resin or plastic exceptions can be made, particularly for bigger items.  And for what its worth, I don’t mind paying for quality figs, but can’t justify $15-30 a piece GW leader/commander/hero figures.

Thanks, I greatly appreciate any suggestions or thoughts that you might want to share.

irishserb

Mike
    Keymaster

I will have a proper think later, but for now you could trawl this?

Manufacturers Directory

Mike
    Keymaster
    Mike
    Keymaster

My old GW orc army had a few stone chuckers or something along those lines.

I always got the impresesion the crew moved it around with orcish grunt power.

If not then maybe some boars to pull it?

Etranger
    Participant

Try Gripping Beast/SAGA for Romano-British, Saxon & Arthurian stuff. There’s also a horde of plastic multipart sets available for the Frostgrave game, along with character packs. All of them will be cheaper than GW…

irishserb
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions and links.  I’ll start checking them out.

Regarding the war machines, I figured the same about most of the labor being the “orcish grunt power”.  I though it would look nifty to have a mix with some ogres and some sort of brutish four legged critters.  Boars would be perfect.  Maybe some of those plastic ones from the GW orc chariots from a few(? , maybe 10) years ago.  Was also considering that some could be human slaves, though not sure what figs would work.

Thanks again.

Mike Headden
    Participant

Warmonger Miniatures (https://www.warmongerminiatures.com) have a heap of old-style GW-esque Orcs, halflings, etc.

I believe it is traditional for Dark Lords, Necromancers and such to employ ogres, trolls and fell beasts to pull/ push siege engines. 🙂

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.