Home Forums Terrain and Scenery 28mm Grocery Store

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Participant

In a fit of madness I have begun work on a 28mm grocery store with a fully detailed interior for zombie games. ย Below some WIP pics.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

Participant

Keymaster

In a fit of madness

Genius you mean!

Participant

Apologies for the multiple posts, but struggled to put more than one pic per post from my smartphone.

Everything is scratchbuilt although I will get some shopping trolleys 3d printed.

The fruits, vegetables and baked stuff were sculpted by my wife from polymer clay.

The building will get a removable roof, and there will be cable trays, aircon ducts, etc. overhead (also removeable) for desperate shoppers to clamber onto to escape the ravenous horse.

Participant

Yeah Mike, my wife doesn’t agree. This bloody thing is a meter long. Probably won’t be dragging it down to the club too often. This will be best for home games.

Participant

escape the ravenous horse.

Autocorrect?ย  It’s an interesting image. ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

That is so cool! Zombie Horses !!

Participant

Haha. Zombie horses would be cool, but no, it should have been “ravenous hordes”.

Participant

I should also have said it looks brilliant so far, so much detail already. If it carries on as good it’s going to be a work of art by the time you complete it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

That’s brilliant.

I used to work in a grocery store.ย  Almost turned into a zombie.

Remember grocery stores usually have to have cold (dairy produce meat frozen) around the perimeter because it’s easier to run the refrigerant lines behind them.

The cash registers are brilliant.

Participant

Thanks guys. The detail is very tedious: I have spent the past three nights stocking up the grocery shelf above. It’s a bit rough up close, but from 3 feet away looks ok.

James: you are 100% correct, but I am probably going to allow for piping with chrome riser boxes to allow survivors another way to climb up to the services above to escape from that “ravenous horse” ๐Ÿ˜‰

I actually fit out 1:1 scale grocery stores for a living (ordering equipment, managing installations, co-ordinating between installation guys and builders, etc), so this is actually the smallest grocery store I have ever built ๐Ÿ˜

Participant

So, tonight’s work. I took a break from the grocery shelves and stocked up the vegetable fridge. I’ll finish this off tomorrow night and then go back to groceries.

Participant

Wow!!

Participant

So cool that the veg are cello wrapped!

And stocking grocery shelves is tedious. But you shelf facing is great!

๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

Progress has slowed now that the weekend is over. I changed plans a little bit and decided to give 3 vaya to vegetables and 1 to fruit, and to completely finishing stocking this fridge before moving on. Once complete I think I will build all the firefighting equipment because I am very bored of stocking shelves.

Keymaster

Super cool dude. Super cool.

Participant

Absolutely outstanding!

Participant

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am posting progress here to try and keep myself motivated through the super-boring part of this build (stocking the shelves).

Won’t be doing anything tonight because Wednesday night is club night (Force on Force tonight), but expect an update before the end of the week (hopefully with something more exciting than carrots and lettuce ๐Ÿ˜).

Participant

Wow, where ever you play on that thing it is going to be a show stopper.

This is the kind of build that shows the dogged persistence of homo gameonicusย 

Participant

That is absolutely tops! So much detail. A great venue for a jolly good zombie scrap.

Participant

Thanks guys. A bit of an update. I stocked up the newspaper stand.

And put in the front door (it slides into a cavity and so can open and close):

I started work on the gates to the receiving yard ( which will be hinged).

I started work on the butchery and deli counter.

I made a few doors.

And I also started working on for hose reels but forgot to take a pic.

Thanks for looking.

Participant

Such great work!

Participant

That looks great, but…..

Wouldn’t it be more realistic with almost empty shelves from panic buying and looting?ย 

Participant

Thanks kyoteblue.

Yeah Victoria, I did consider that but opted to have the store fully stocked so that I can use this thing for modern hostage-rescue scenarios, small unit actions in built up areas, alien invasion stuff, siege type scenarios (like The Mist), etc.

No work on this beast tonight. I spent a pleasant evening going through my zombie collection. They were all painted 10 years ago, and need a touch up.

Participant

Yeah Victoria, I did consider that but opted to have the store fully stocked so that I can use this thing for modern hostage-rescue scenarios, small unit actions in built up areas, alien invasion stuff, siege type scenarios (like The Mist), etc.

Makes perfect sense. ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

Please post an AAR with pictures when you do use this in a game… I like the Mist idea!!!

Participant

Will do kyoteblue: still a long way to go though.

Participant

Oh and Shawn of the Dead!

Participant

Oh and Shawn of the Dead!

Nah, you need a Bar for that, that could be his next project. ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

Well, there is that.

Participant

So work continues. I have been working on the following the past few days:

– Stocking grocery shelves
    – Making and fitting the yard gates (they are hinged and have magnetic strips to hold them closed when needed).
    – Built the steps and guard rail for the emergency exit to the yard.
    – Built some interior door frames.
    – Built the loading dock and ramp in the yard (although I need to back-fill below the ramp so that the foam core won’t break. I will probably use glazers putty because it is nice and cheap).
    – Plastered some of the exterior walls with crack filler to give some texture.
    – Glued sand paper to the ground in the yard to simulate asphalt.
    – Worked a bit more on the fire hoses.

The plan for tonight is to build the sprinkler valve chamber (basically the master valve where you would turn off water supply to the sprinkler and fire hose system).

And tomorrow, if the sun is shining, I want to plaster the walls of the yard so that I can start painting (the yard only, still a lot to do inside the store).
    I will still need to do a bit more work in the yard when the project is closer to completion: I am putting the refrigeration plant, backup generator and aircon plant on the roof, so will need to put a ladder in the yard for access. Oh, and I will also put razor wire/barb wire on the perimeter wall of the yard.

Wow, there is still a lot to do on this ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Participant

Such great work, thanks for the update.

Participant

Looking great, I hadn’t really appreciated the size of it before.ย  This is going to be amazing when you complete it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

Thanks for the kind words guys.
    Yeah, Victoria, this thing is huge. Normally my wargames buildings are smaller than they would be in real life, but to me, zombie-slaying is an indoor sport, so the buildings need to be in scale with real life. Of course, the problem is storing the thing. During the week I keep it in the garage and so can only work on the furnishings. On weekends it comes out of the garage for me to work on the structure.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.