Home Forums WWII 29, Let’s Go! Game 4 (German PoV)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Heyhey, here’s the wily German. 😀 I signed up on the forum ages ago when the site was new, but never got to posting much.

I’m currently playing the 29, Let’s Go! pint-sized campaign with Michael Osman, who posts the AARs from the US point of view. Last weekend we had our 4th game, and thus the 4th try of B Company to break through at La Cambe. Here’s my AAR of that, available in English and German language:

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2022/06/29-lets-go-game-4/%5B/url%5D

Hope you enjoy the article!

Participant

Ouch!  I think there was more movement in the battles of the Somme, than for the poor Americans so far in your campaign.  Great AAR.  I went back through and read all your previous games, as well as the AARs from your tabletop foe.

And speaking of, good on him for not giving up!

Participant

Ouch! I think there was more movement in the battles of the Somme, than for the poor Americans so far in your campaign. Great AAR. I went back through and read all your previous games, as well as the AARs from your tabletop foe. And speaking of, good on him for not giving up!

Cheers! Oh yes, Col.Bourne’s resilience is the most impressive thing there. I feel rather bad, and in the end of our last game I was kinda rooting for the US rifle team to make it down the road, but it just didn’t quite work out. I was just lucky too that I had this weird LMG team running around for whom I had no use all game after they’d ambushed the initial US scouts. They were cowering behind the building, and only by chance were where I needed them to stop the US rifle team on the last inches.

In fact, over on another forum it feels like people start to turn on me. They’re being sympathetic towards the US troops. 😀 I really have to look into other people’s AARs about playing that scenario. After each game I’m rather anxious that I’m playing it wrong or something, I look up some rules, but it checked out so far. The Germans just are in a very, very strong position there with these thick hedges, that building and lots of open space for the US troops to cover.

Participant

It’s almost embarrassing when your dice are hot, or your opponent just has horrible, horrible luck.  I’m Canadian, so of course I apologize profusely, but it’s still often awkwardly embarrassing.   Just before Covid hit, I finished a Longstreet ACW campaign with a good friend.  Bless him, he insisted on finishing the campaign despite winning only a single game (of nine I think?) and gaining only a handful of Epic/Victory points.  And still would play again – win or lose, it really doesn’t matter if you’re among lifelong friends.

That said, if I were the American, I’d be dropping a lot of smoke from offboard artillery.  No need for a ranging shot; fire for effect.  You can’t get so lucky as to end the turn again.  And if there wasn’t smoke, I think I’d consider bounding overwatch with a couple of squads as well, to counter your tactic of using double turns to rush forward, fire then fall back.

But I’m sure he’s tried that, and sometimes Lady Luck is just firmly on the other side of the table.

Participant

I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, I’ve been on the receiving end of the Longstreet situation you described there. 😀 I’m almost glad that the campaiogn was cut short by Covid. Each game I took a whopping beating.

Yup, that’s one of the first ideas that come to mind, right? Mortar barrage smoke in, send in the Shermans to race down he road. I think there’s still some tricky bits to that (luck notwithstanding).

Last night I read the tactical painter’s report on this scenario, and I found something they played differently to how we do it – in his game the Shermans’ main guns look over the hedges. That made quite a difference. I’m not sure how it works out in terms of LOS on his table, but I think that the Sherman tanks would have to be pretty close to look over those hedges. But it’s something that might be considered. So far we played as that somebody in an upper level of a building may look over the hedges (which makes sense).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.