Home Forums General General 3-D Printing Question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is probably a pretty dumb question, but it stems from my complete lack of knowledge regarding 3-D printing. So, with that said, here it is: is it possible to scale up a 28mm figure to 54mm in a printer? If it is, would the figure be printable in soft plastic of the Airfix/Marx variety? The only printed items I’ve seen are in a hard-ish plastic which seems to have little waves in it. Have any of you tried this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. And I rush to add there is no intent to pirate figures here – I’d only like single hero/champion types for my own use, that I can’t find in the bigger scale.

Scaling up should be fine, you just have to input the % ratio to match the size. The wave lines are print layers unless you use the spiffy light shiny method of 3D printing, models will always have line, but it wouldn’t scale with the model.

Don’t know about the material, there are probably softer plastic out there but where ever you get your model printed you’ll have to know which material they offer meet your requirements. Harder plastic are usually better for fine detail.

Participant

Thank you, Thomaston, that’s actually very helpful. I might well look into this!

Participant

Graham Cummings at Crann Tara Miniatures is a man who’s knows about 3D printing.

As you can see figures can be printed in different scales.

https://scotiaalbion.blogspot.com/2019/05/some-more-prints.html

Willz.

Participant

Oh my, those turned out very well. Looks promising…

Thank you!

Participant

As said above, scaling a file is easy as long as the printer has a bed size capable of handling the height of the mini.  This can also relate to those print lines, as there are many different types of printers, and a good way to get an excellent print is to often have it set up to print at and angle to the build plate, rather than as if it were standing.  Higher quality printers (whose prints are more expensive than the Shapeways specials) will leave you with almost no cleanup necessary.  Less expensive methods and materials will usually leave you with a rough texture and distinctive layering.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Thanks, DSG! That tip is most helpful. I’ll need to check in with my local printers and see what options are available. This whole idea has a lot of potential for a Big Scale gamer like myself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.