Home Forums Modern 3 for a limited war – Now With Map!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Batting ideas around for the next campaign (which will hopefully finish for once!) my compadres became excited by all of the great posts here in regards to air battles and the nostalgia over Area 88 and decided on a merc air war using a modified version of Wings At War Thud Ridge.  More discussion has filled this out to have a ground component as well.  We decided on TR because it’s relatively simple, can have a game over in less than an hour, and it can easily be modified but new simple rules for the ground war will need to be developed.  The setting will be a fictional world (ala Sky Crawlers) that uses early 1960’s tech.

All 4 of us have a tournament game/list making aversion and decided that everyone will use the same base stats for their aircraft, so each side will have the same Fighter, Interceptor, Bomber, Wild Weasel, EW and Recon, but players will be able to set up their flights with different ordnance during the mission planning phase of each turn (some of which may affect performance).  Same goes for the ground troops; each side will have the same tanks, IFV/APCs, Arty and infantry available for purchase (with only the organization of each unit being different).

We had originally decided that everyone could pick their own plane miniatures to represent their planes (thus the previous question on 1/600 Skyrays and the like) but now the group seems to be worried about possible confusion with there being up to 8 types for each side on the table for a 2 player fight and have now moved to everyone using the same minis just with faction specific paint jobs.  Looks like we will be using British aircraft from the 50’s and 60’s, as many of them have radically different looks (and sort of sci-fi-ish) to those that us Yanks are used to seeing.  We have short listed Lightnings, Javelins, Sea Vixens, Scimitars, Canberras, Bucanners, Hunters, and the French Vatour IIa.

More info will be presented as we work through it!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Sounds like fun, keep us posted.

Cool, looking forward to seeing more of this.

Interesting about your decision on aircraft miniatures. I went in the opposite direction because I like IDing aircraft as a mini game, underestimate a plane and it’ll be a bad day.

If you like I could make an F4D stl file so you can print it out using any 3D printing service.

Participant

Interesting about your decision on aircraft miniatures.

Believe me, it was not an easy decision!  A couple of the guys are not “airheads” and felt having too many different looking aircraft on the table might get too stressful, especially since our first instinct was to start with a “base stat” aircraft for each type and each player could modify it with one or 2 things to customize how their forces fought.  That started to feel too much like list building, so we did away with it and since we are using the same aircraft stats why not just use the same aircraft?  Should make painting schemes a hoot!

Same for the ground stuff, as a couple of the guys are real “treadheads” but I couldn’t tell you at a glance if a tank was a T-64BV or a T-80XYZ.  So, we will have only heavy and medium tanks, with options for either heavy or medium guns.  Then also APC, IFV, and some sort of missile APC.  Probably use Challengers as the heavy tank, T-64s as the medium tank, Saladins for the IFVs, FV432 for the APCs (the O8 minis are larger in 3mm than their M113), M109s for arty (I have a bunch leftover from Vietnam gaming), and Rapiers for the ATGM vehicles (because the missiles really stand out in 3mm and all of the TOW vehicles are tiny).  The rules will be almost silly-simple.

One thing we haven’t worked on much is the economy for the campaign.  I did a full set up for a previous campaign many moons ago, so I might pare that one down to be much more simple, with most of the income coming from territory holding and combat results rather than resource based.

You could cut the types down to fighter, bomber and EW and have more payload options, recon pods, ARM, AtA wepons or AtG weapons or a a mix. TD has rules for loaded aircraft so the same fighter would perform differently with AtA or AtG. Are you planning to use operational range? That would add another dynamic to mission planning, trading bombs for fuel tanks.

You’re missing AA vehicles, like Shilka and M163, SAMs? Alternative for Tow vehicle is the German Weasel TOW, they’re tiny though but could be a distinguishing feature.

Participant

You’re missing AA vehicles, like Shilka and M163, SAMs

SAMs will be present on the air table (as they are separate battles from the ground combats and CAS will not be a thing this go ’round as it’s “unsporting”) and ground targets will have either tactical or strategic levels of AA per Thud Ridge depending upon if points are spent on each Task Force to upgrade their base air defense.  We decided that AA units would not be used in ground combat, instead opting to IFV which would be more effective vs Inf than armor.

You could cut the types down to fighter, bomber and EW and have more payload options

Yup, that’s our plan.  Here are the stats and loadouts we are using:

Interceptor: NL:6 L:4 MH:4 AB, D+1 for TT @ Height 1   Weapons: 1: RGx2 | 2: RGx1 Gun | 3: RGx3 (Loaded) | RGx2 Gun (loaded)

Fighter: NL:5 L:4 MH:4 AB, D+1 for TT @Height 4  Weapons: 1: HSx1 Gun | 2: HSx2 | 3: HSx1 RGx1 | 4: HSx2 Gun (Loaded) | 5: Gun (or HSx1) Bomb (Loaded)

Bomber: NL:4 L:3 MH:3 AB  Weapons: 1: Bombx2 | 2: Bombx1 Gun | 3: Bombx1 Rear Gun |

Recon: NL:6 L:4 MH:3 AB no Tight Turn  Weapons: 1: none | 2: Gun | 3: Bombx1 (NL:5, loaded) | 4: HSx1 (loaded)

Wild Weasel: NL:6 L:4 MH:4 AB (Any Arms is loaded)   Weapons: 1: ARMx2 | 2: ARMx1 Gun | 3: ARMx1 HSx1 | 4: ARMx1 Bombx1 | 5: ARMx4 (NL:5)

EW: NL:4 L:4 MH:3  Weapons: 1: none

Still working out the costs for the different loadouts, but EW aircraft will be expensive and will need to be protected.  Interceptors have to be careful in dogfights, though we have bandied about extending the range of RG Missiles by 5cm or 10cm to better help them do their job (as we won’t be saddled with the same ROE as in Vietnam)

Are you planning to use operational range? That would add another dynamic to mission planning, trading bombs for fuel tanks

Indeed, there will be some logistical planning there, with things like the Bingo# being higher if the range to combat is longer, etc.  Drop tanks can also be included, counting a loaded, and if already loaded then lowering the NL and L energy by -1.  Maybe.  Need to test it.

If you like I could make an F4D stl file so you can print it out using any 3D printing service.

I really wanted them.  Might hit you up later, thanks for the offer!

I meant fighter, interceptor and recon could be combined into one, RG would make the plane loaded while recon pod would take the place of most missiles. Recon pod could also be fitted to bombers and EW, just seems more flexible to me (and fewer miniatures).

Looking forward to seeing 50s jets fight each other I’ve been wanting to do something like this but couldn’t decide what aircraft to use.

Participant

I meant fighter, interceptor and recon could be combined into one, RG would make the plane loaded while recon pod would take the place of most missiles. Recon pod could also be fitted to bombers and EW, just seems more flexible to me (and fewer miniatures).

Ah, I got ya.  The decision for using different minis for the different types is 2 fold: less confusion with which plane of the same type is doing what role, and we wanted the different roles to “feel” different.

Looking forward to seeing 50s jets fight each other I’ve been wanting to do something like this but couldn’t decide what aircraft to use.

Sadly not a true matchup, as they are representing generic stats rather than historical ones.  Would be interesting to see something historical though, as so many designs never had the chance to fight it out! (*please do not take that as an endorsement of war!)

There is now talk of having 5 alt levels, thus allowing for both an Afterburner Climb of 2 levels (forward 5cm, up 2 levels, no shooting allowed, -2 energy, roll bingo) and allowing RG missiles to be fired at targets 1 alt above or below.  This would put levels 2-4 as “medium alt”, and level 5 as high alt.

I don’t know if I am sold yet on the RG’s being so advantaged…

Sounds good to me, as long as it’s true to period with low hit probability. Maybe not allow it to shoot below, those early missiles couldn’t distinguish target from ground.

Participant

Sounds good to me, as long as it’s true to period with low hit probability. Maybe not allow it to shoot below, those early missiles couldn’t distinguish target from ground

I suggested the exact same thing!  So, maybe from alt 5 to 4, but below alt 4 they can only fire on the same level or the one above.

If we have an afterburner climb, we will have to have a power dive too.  I foresee a lot of spins and crashes in our future!

Participant

Managed to gather the guys (via skype) for a chat session and to hammer out the rest of the rules, etc.  This thing has taken as odd swerve.  It appears our little war will be a bit more gentlemanly than we had originally intended, and some new rules and units have been added.  For air battles we have decided that each side can deploy SAR helos to recover ANY pilot shot down.  Pilots recovered go into the pool for the Corp that did the recovery job.  Pilots not recovered by games end go back to the unemployment line and must be purchased anew or may be kept by the player in whose territory they came down for 1/2 cost.  SAR helos can be shot at by SAM or aircraft up to the point where they pickup a pilot, after that they may only be shot at by AAA.

For ground games we’ve added CASEVAC vehicles.  Again, the point is to pickup “destroyed” units and keep them.  A tank, infantry section, etc that is destroyed will leave a marker which can be picked up by by the Evac truck.  Those not recovered go back to the unemployed pool.

As a corollary to these rules a side is also now permitted to send SAR or CASEVAC units out on their own missions in order to try to swoop the enemy.  Meaning: a SAR helo from team 1 can be sent to an area where teams 2 and 3 are likely to fight and the team 1 SAR helo can enter the battle and try to pickup downed pilots!  This sort of snachery shenanigans should add a bit of fun, and give any kids hanging about something to do.

The gents also put down their corporation names, colors, and soundbites.  We Have:

COBALT COMBAT SERVICES – light blue and white – “We make war, for you.”

DARING INTERNATIONAL – grey camo, red trim- “No danger is too great for our combat professionals”

SHADOW FORCE – Black- “If you’re buyin’, we’re bombin'”

We also sorted out the map, agreed on the economy, and made the hit model for the ground combat a little more complicated than it originally was, as well as adding “stress points” so merc units have a potential to break and flee to spend their pay another day.

Planes should be arriving soon, and additional ground forces still need to be procured.

Sounds like SAR is kidnapping, it’s coming along.

Participant

Sounds like SAR is kidnapping, it’s coming along.

It really sort of IS!  Hey, if you pluck ’em, you get to keep ’em!  For free, even!

I forsee some horsetrading with this too.  Like “I’ll give you back your ace experienced pilot if you give me back my 2 regular and 2 rookies pilots…”

Participant

All forces have arrived, so now we can get to painting!  There has also been a change of players, as the original Daring player dropped out and finding a replacement took a bit of time.  The new player is thinking of green camo for his units, so that should provide some variation on the table.  Hopefully we can get the game rolling very soon.  We are set to be making the initial force purchases and planing this week.

Can’t wait to see this.

Participant

Last night ran fast and furious, with each player purchasing their starting forces and then sending me (the GM) where they were placing troops and whatnot for the start of The War.  I cannot divulge what each ground unit is composed of until they are reconed by an enemy and revealed, but we can talk about the aircraft.

Cobalt purchased 6 Fighters, 4 interceptors, 6 bombers, 3x EW, 4 Wild Weasels, 4 Recon and 3x SAR.

Darling went ground heavy and in a surprise move bought a 2nd airfield!  Their aircraft purchase was 8 bombers, 2 recon, 6 fighters, 2 interceptors and 2 SAR.  No WW or EW for them to start.

Shadow went lightest on the ground but is very fighter heavy, purchasing 10 fighters, 6 interceptors, 4 bombers, 4 EW, 4 WW, 6 recon and 4 SAR.

The (very simplified for spectators) starting map looks thus:

simplified start map

Roads had to be purchased and are quite expensive and also double edged (as enemies can use them too!), so the longest route is only 6 hexes.  As you can see, there is going to be a heck of a scrum in the center, and a fair few fights on the fringes as each side scrambles for initial gains.  Ground movement for a unit is determined by composition, so an infantry heavy force w/o carriers will be slow, while a unit made up of fast units (like IFV and APC) will move much more quickly.

It’ll be interesting to see who ends up controlling the major resources, as Towns generate 2 RP each and Industrial generate 6 RP each, other land generating 1 RP per 4 hexes under control (not contested by enemy ZOC).  This is going to get brutal really fast.  Airstrikes occur before ground movement and I’m guessing there will be some large strikes going in right from the start.

Prepare for carnage!  (just as soon as we all get our forces painted…)

Are you planning to post batreps or a summary on the strategic map?
    I’m ok with either but after seeing the scope here I’m a little more interested in the war progress.

Do towns and industry have an effect the game or are they targets only?

Participant

Indeed sir, I do plan on putting up battreps and the like, and trying to keep the map updated.  As some of the players view this site there will be some secrecy that I will have to keep (being the GM with full knowledge) but I’ll do my best.

Towns and Industry are both targets and resources.  Towns generate 2 Resource Points per turn for the owner, while Industry sites generate 6 each.  Cobalt, for instance, is starting the game with 26 RP based on land area, towns and industry.  RP can be gained for destroying enemy platoons and aircraft as well as via actual land conquest.

In air combat missions, each platoon is a target, towns have 6 targets and Industry have 4 targets that can be bombed.  All are placed as blind markers, and there are also a number of dummy counters just to confuse things.  Recon aircraft can scout blinds and reveal if they are real targets or dummies.  Without recon you could be bombing countryside instead of a real target!

It was really interesting to see how each faction placed their units, especially as none had any knowledge of where their opponents were setting up.  There were more than a few hmmmms, though there also seemed to be some similar projected tactics about to take place, which makes me think there was some offline armchairing beforehand.

I’m a little worried about Daring, as they’ve placed both of their bases rather far forwards, a bit vulnerable IMO.

Participant

With the holidays over and everyone’s lives getting back to normal, painting on minis has begun.  Cobalt and Daring have completed their test minis and are mostly happy with what they are doing, But Shadow is having some issues after having decided that they wanted to add red to their black to create flashy patterns.  Hopefully some images will come in soon that I can post and we can get serious and get the war rolling!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.