Home Forums General General 3 games you played, 3 games you want to play

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Inspired by something I saw on G+, I figure this is a good way to reflect on the year (in gaming).

What are three miniatures games you played this year (picked by any criteria you like: Most played, biggest surprise, most fun, whatever) ?

What are three miniatures games want to play in the new year ?

You can take “miniatures game” as you wish: A set of rules, a new period, whatever.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Mike
    Keymaster

Played: CROM! & KR 16

Want to play: more CROM!

Ruarigh
    Participant

Well, this won’t take much time. I have managed to play zero miniatures games this year, and I would be happy to play any games at all next year! 🙂

This year has been massively busy, and it has not helped that I have spent most of it living away from home, so my regular miniatures opponent and I have not managed to make our diaries coincide at all. My boardgames opponent has a more forgiving diary. Looking at BGG, I find that I have played Advanced Squad Leader 4 times, Arcadia Quest: Inferno 3 times, and Fire and Axe: A Viking Saga and Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King 1 time each.

Next year, assuming that I can find the time at all and don’t wind up living much further afield which is a distinct possibility, I would like to play:

1. 6mm Command Decision: Test of Battle (WW1 and/or WW2 Western Desert)
    2. 15mm Viking skirmish games using Blood Eagle or Battle Troll although I am happy to play fantasy skirmish games using my Vikings too (because I can never get enough of Vikings in my gaming)
    3. 15mm sci-fi using Gruntz, Imperial Commander, Laserburn or FutureWarCommander (because it has been one of my main gaming genres for thirty years, and because I actually have completed armies for it thanks to getting a lot of time to paint while I lived in Ireland last year)

There we go. That’s my wish list for next year. To be honest, I’ll take any gaming I can though.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    https://roderickdale.co.uk/

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Games Played:

Sword and Spear: Imperial Roman v Ancient Brits – wondering why the cavalry were so slow before reading the amended QRS which doubles mounted movement from the 2nd edition printed copy. Otherwise a very enjoyable set of rules!

Lion Rampant: Wars of the Roses – not very historical but a great game.

Dux Bellorum: Saxons v Romano Brits – see above.

Next Year?

l’Art de la Guerre – with some 15mm Dacians I’ve been painting up.

A PBEM 1914 Togoland campaign – but I plan on running it rather than playing in it.

Black Ops – possibly depending on whether I ever decide on figures or whether I even need to do it with figures.

Lots of other options depending if I can sort my time out to play more and find more room. Daughter planning on going to Uni this year – she won’t need such a big bedroom if she’s only here a few weeks a year will she? Time to get the 28mm Italian Wars stuff out!

Ruarigh
    Participant

Daughter planning on going to Uni this year – she won’t need such a big bedroom if she’s only here a few weeks a year will she? Time to get the 28mm Italian Wars stuff out!

Heh, the sofa should be good enough for a few weeks a year. I think it’s time you had your own games room. 

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    https://roderickdale.co.uk/

ian pillay
    Participant

This year not a lot of gaming or games played but managed,

One hours wargame

crossfire

next year,

HotT

Crossfire

”rampant” rules – lion, dragon and TMWWBK 😁

Tally-Ho!

Have played – Age of Eagles, Hexblitz and Song of Blades

Want to play Crom, Bill Lamming Medievial rules and Five Core

Mike Headden
    Participant

Played – BKC2, Chain of Command and (cheating slightly) Heroes of Normandie.

Want to play – Tribal/ Primeval, Of Mice And Mystics, BKC3

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

McKinstry
    Participant

Biggest surprise – SAGA. My friends persuaded me to set aside my dislike of 28mm figures and skirmish gaming and try SAGA and to my shock and horror, I enjoyed painting 28’s and enjoyed SAGA to the point I now have two armies.

Most played – General Quarters 3 – still loving it.

Most enjoyed – My gaming group consented to try Blucher in 6mm on 2″ bases in the past 3 months and it has been great. Campaign using Scharnhorst next year.

Next year – Rommel, Cannon Cross and Crescent,  and maybe Blood and Plunder. We have a SAGA Aetius & Arthur campaign kicking off in January and a Blucher in March so that will take precedence.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Retirement is everything I hoped it would be. Finally, I have time to read, build models *and* play games.

Memorable games this year:

• I broke through to a new level of performance in Check Your 6! (WWII airwar 1/300) and GMed a series of games for my friends. I’m so charged up that I’m now finishing off 50 more planes, including 4 squadrons of RAF Desert Air Force. I’m rushing to get decals and Dullcote on the last of them before a hard freeze hits.  I’m cleaning up another 50 Italian models to be their sparring partners, and will paint them over the winter.
    • A friend introduced me to Jagdpanzer micro-armor rules, he is GMing a series of games using his collection. I don’t think I’ll start into 1/300 armor…but I am inspired to dust off my 20mm WWII ground forces and look for a new set of rules.
    • Some friends revived an old favorite, classic brigade-level Fire & Fury ACW. We just completed the battle of Murfreesboro, the whole dang thing, three corps of Federals and two corps of Confederates. We played for four nights before the Rebs gave up and fell back to Tullahoma. I’m now blowing the dust off my 15mm ACW troops, reorganizing and doing maintenance and repairs. We’re going to give them more exercise in 2018.

Games under consideration for 2018:

• I want to bring my 1/144 WWII airplane collection back out and introduce the CY6! gang to Mustangs/Air Pirates. Nothing exceeds like excess, and when I love a subject like I do WWII airwar, I have to at least try out every rule set in every practical scale, hainna?
    • 15mm War of 1812. I bought a couple hundred painted figures to fill out my collection, Indians and Johnathans, and I’m remounting and touching them up over the winter. Now I have to get operational with a rule set. I plan to try three: Brave Fusiliers by our own B6GOBOS (he plays in 28mm, but it should work fine in 15mm). Land of the Free, an Osprey rule set that I haven’t seen played yet, but it looks slick, and Chippewa, a set at the company level. I’d better clear off my game table.
    • Find a new rule set to support my 20mm WWII ground forces. Since I’m painting tanks again…
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by zippyfusenet.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

MartinR
    Participant

As Im a member of a Wargames club, I get to play lots of games. Three standouts from last year?

1. Cold War in 54mm using Funny Little Wars. Nothing quite like half a dozen 1/48th T72s!

2. Some wonderful 15mm games of Simplicity in Practice.

3. I was rather pleased with my ‘3 Div on D Day’ mini campaign in 15m using Battlegroup.

For next year:

1. Inspired by all the Hex blitz stuff, I’ll aim to run a Megablitz game. Already designed a scenario.

2. More early WW1 with Op 14. I’ve sorted out a Marne scenario.

3. I’m working on a new set of Brigade level, hex based WW2 rules, so hopefully they will see the light of day.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

L’Art De La Guerre

Fire & Fire Brigade 2nd Edition

Patrol Angis

Gun Dog Miniature Painting Services
    https://m.facebook.com/gundogminiatures/
    Sniffing out unpainted armies!

Oh and the three I want to play as a comparison with each other are all Nordic Weasel Games Rules!

Gun Dog Miniature Painting Services
    https://m.facebook.com/gundogminiatures/
    Sniffing out unpainted armies!

Mike Headden
    Participant

Retirement is everything I hoped it would be. Finally, I have time to read, build models *and* play games.

<snip>

Really? I’ve less time for gaming not more, now I’m retired!

I am however seeing friends and family far more often, eating far more afternoon teas, seeing many more movies at the local multiplex (“Yay!” for the Cineworld Unlimited card), listening to more radio and reading a lot of (non-gaming) books/ websites/ ebooks and graphic novels.

“I’m busy doing nothing,
    Isn’t it just a crime!

I’d like to be unhappy but
    I never can find the time!” 😀

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

warwell
    Participant

Played in 2017

1. Four Against Darkness
    2. Spandau and Lewis – an excellent set of WWI air combat rules from Kaptain Kobold of the Stronghold Rebuilt. I describe them on my blog
    3. Machinas, by THW

Ironically, I’m planning a challenge for 2018 where I play 6 new (to me) games. Here are 3 I have in mind:

1. Dragon Rampant
    2. Galleys and Galleons
    3. Blade and Lockpick
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by warwell.
    zippyfusenet
    Participant

I’ve less time for gaming not more, now I’m retired!

Priorities, Mike, priorities. Fortunately I’ve alienated my family and never made any friends, so my days are all my own. Don’t despair, you can still get your life in order.

Just kidding. There’s plenty of time to be an involved Grampa, to see old friends and to make new ones too. Younger friends…they’re mostly younger friends these days, so I try not to gripe too much about the kids and the morals and the times.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Roger Calderbank
    Participant

The games I like to play haven’t changed much in the last few years. I’m also fortunate enough to play a reasonably large number in the year. The highlight was probably my birthday Basic Impetus tournament, but in terms of games played:

3 played:
    To the Strongest! – somehow using cards rather than dice increases the tension.
    Baroque – for me, the ‘Impetus’ system worked fine for the 30 Years War. Visits to Lutzen and Breitenfeld increased the interest.
    Lasalle – maybe Napoleonics ‘lite’, but the limited number of turns makes for time pressure.

3 to play:
    Square Bashing: but now for my new Russo-Japanese war troops.
    Maurice: always gives good games. I don’t get to play it enough.
    For King and Parliament: can TtS! convert to ECW and 30YW?

RogerC

Krieghund
    Participant

Hott, LaserBlade and FantasyBlade.

Next year, more of the same with added Crom.

durecellrabbit
    Participant

Games I played in 2017:

1. L’Art De La Guerre. As I mentioned before I’ve really been enjoying this game and it got me into ancients.

2. Warhammer 40k 8th Edition. After not having played 40k for a while I thought it would be nice to try the new edition. Our first run got bogged down by all the special rules each unit has but I think the game deserves a 2nd smaller go at some point.

3. Dropfleet Commander. This is on the list because it’s a bit unusual from what I normally play. The space combat and spaceships where fairly interesting but I’m not sure if I like the transportation objective focus. Guess that come with the name though.

Games I want to play in 2018.

1. L’Art De La Guerre as I’m enjoying the game I obviously want to play more of it.

2. By Fire and Sword. I’ve got a fairly large collection of Swedes and I’m working on Polish. I’d really like to get the models on the table soon.

3. Too the Strongest. I’ve hearing a lot of good things about these rules I would love to try them out sometime. I don’t have a grid mat though.

Shaun Travers
    Participant

2017, games played that stood out:

Machinas: Only started playing it this month. The game where the NPC car actions are completely driven by the  system, and quite simply with hardly any tables.- there is no need for any judgement calls by the player.  I am already applying these concepts to other rules I am inventing.

Ancient Battlelines Clash 2: Only a couple of games so far but I have re-written and streamlined my ancient rules and I think they are much easier to play now.

WW4x3: After 20 years of lots of failed attempts, I finally managed to write some rules for a company level game that plays on a 4×3 grid.  I played them 6 times and quite enjoyed it.

So, 2018?

1: I want to get back to replaying  one ancient battle with many different rulesets.  Over 2 years I did Calinicum with 10 different rules and for the last 6 years I did Heraclea with about 17.  I have slowed down a lot in the last few years doing this and have a new battle and a long list of rules I would like to try.

2. More Operation Jupiter scenarios.  I am up to scenario 16 of 30 in the enjoyable Britton Publishers scenario book on this WW2 operation.  My 20mm WW2 is not seeing enough action on larger tables and i miss playing at this scale.

3.  Realising I am a butterfly, I look forward to what may take my interest enough to play a few games – medieval warfare? Sci-fi skirmish? 6mm Napoleonics? spaceship gaming? WWI aerial warfare? And just got a shedload of Heroscape really cheap so need to play as is with the children, or invent some new rules! There is a lot piquing my interest that I have the miniatures for – just need rules and bumping to high interest levels.
    The biggest problem in 2018 will be time – is a lot will be taken up with renovating a house and then moving into it.  Planning and some early work has already eaten into the last quarter of this year.

A Lot of Gaul
    Participant

Played in 2017 –

Miniatures: Swordpoint
    Boardgame: Falling Sky

Under consideration for 2018 –

Miniatures: Swordpoint
    Boardgame: Falling Sky

"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.