Home Forums General General 3d printer, i got one

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Participant

https://www.thingiverse.com/

There may be other places, but that’s the one I know. (There’s not anywhere for figures specifically, as far as I know, just places where there are figures with everything else.)

Of course, with it being a free place, you’re looking at most people doing it for fun, rather than it being, like, their day job. That’s not to say some of the folk aren’t damn good at it, just that there might sometimes be less quality control on the functionality of the meshes, because they ARE doing it for fun.

(E.g. A mate of mine found a Starfinder goblin that would have been great for my current character, but we just couldn’t get our slices to read the mesh right whatever we did; I dutifully reported it, but the chap never responded. And y’know, he put that up for free, and frack knows how much work he put into in, so I’m not complaining about it, just saying.)

Participant

An excellent link, AC, thank you. There’s lots of interesting stuff there!

Participant

https://www.wargamevault.com/   https://www.drivethrurpg.com/    have some free stuff if you sort by price, pay what you want just use zero, but its a good place for some interesting paid models do a search for ‘stl’ that’s what the models are in , but https://www.thingiverse.com/   is where I got most of mine.

Participant

Ok I have had my second misshap, the tape you stick on the bed rips with the scraper quite a lot, so I have now started using an artists  pallet knife, but be carefull with it.

Participant

Ok The Model for the building can be reconfigured, so Im making multistory houses for a town, the model is free, it has a couple of addons like roof and middle floors , ruined parts etc… the model is really strong & no glue needed as it has guide pegs, the house’s can be put together as undamaged then you can put ruined floors and roofs on when hit by cannon etc… the houses has interiors so you can put miniatures in-play inside. you should download this model before they start charging. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE PERFECT WARGAME 3D PRINTABLE MODEL.

here is the model details if you want it

goto https://www.thingiverse.com/

then do a search for ‘Ulvheim’ you will find the model and all its addons

another good model site is https://cults3d.com

here is my prints so far, Im waiting to paint, so i get them all the same shades.

Participant

Ok My first street is just about printed.

Participant

these are all solid models, they can be taken apart floor by floor and reconfigured into different houses, I need to print a couple more roofs yet, but I can see a town here.

all these have been done with one model, ground floor, 1st floor, roof, and some ruined variants. WARNING THERE IS TWO VERSIONS OF THESE MODELS DONT MIX BECAUSE THEY DONT WORK TOGETHER.

also my printer prints 15cm x 15cm x 15cm cube, and the models fits into it,

I found the scraper used to remove the model after printing was to blunt, so I carfuly use a palet knife to lift a corner then I slip the scraper underneath

considering just about a week ago I had no idea how to use a 3d printer, to see my streets taking shape is great, printing is slow though, a single floor of a building can take 10 hours, but as you can see no rush required.

Participant

ok I have had another misshap, the tempresture is dropping so the plastic dosnt stick to the bottom while printing as good, a corner rises slightly. this is told to you in the instructions somewhere if your printing in the cold use a glue stick, so that’s what I had to do, the glue disappears after printing I don’t know where. but just a coat of glue works. bthe glue sticks are about £2 from amazon, use use the craft hobby ones, don’t use something like uhu, the glue is like just temporary. here is a pic of what my city looks like so far, the painting isn’t great I suffer from bad eyesight and shaky hands that’s my escuse anyway

Participant

Coming together nicely!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

thanks, I will eventualy have about 3 times as many buildings,

Participant

If a single floor of a building can take 10 hours to print, what is the cost of the electricity you are using during this period?  Have you calculated it?

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Product details
    XYZprinting Da Vinci Mini W+. Product colour: White. Wi-Fi standards: 802.11b,802.11g,Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n). Power consumption (typical): 60 W, AC input voltage: 100 – 240 V, AC adapter output voltage: 24 V. Windows operating systems supported: Windows 10,Windows 7,Windows 8,Windows 8.1, Mac operating systems supported: Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite,Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan,Mac OS X 10.12 Sierra,Mac OS X 10.13 High Sierra, Minimum RAM: 8 GB. Width: 390 mm, Depth: 335 mm, Height: 360 mm

so 60w is like a bulb, 1000w is about 25p hour, so that works out about one and a half pence an hour, 18p a half day. so a floor is about 18p in electric

Participant

I’m going to have to end the saga now,

Participant

So a lot cheaper than I feared.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.