Home Forums General General 3D printers

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Not Connard SageNot Connard Sage
    Participant

Probably been done before, but has anybody got one?

How easy is it to use?

What filament(s) does it use to print? PLA, PET, ABS etc.

What are the results like? (I don’t want Zimmerit on everything)

How much do I have to pay to get something decent?

I’m finding Forward March Studios 2mm printables appealing…

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

McKinstry
    Participant

I’ve an Elegoo Mars 3D  resin printer. Generally it has been easy to use and contrary to some concerns, virtually odorless using the manufacturers recommended resin. I’ve had some challenges figuring out the software to scale down some models from Thingiverse and other places but overall while not ‘plug and play’, it has been workable. My oldest son has an FDM printer and from comparing notes it seems, particularly on small scale stuff, the resin printer provides a higher quality print but at the cost of a much smaller print bed, slower printing times and a far more involved clean up.

Mine was a gift from said son but I believe it was about $300 US. Elegoo is coming out with a new resin printer with a larger bed (Saturn?) that should be selling close to that price in the US. I hear good things price and quality wise about AnyCubic as well. I’ve no idea on FDM printers.

I’ve generally had the cost per model running between $.10 and $.20 in resin. How you amortize the capital cost and other expendables such as alcohol for clean up would raise that a bit. I’m generally printing ships at 1/2400 and under and figures/terrain at 6mm and under.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

An additional question, if Connard Sage doesn’t mind: How much space does a home-use 3D printer take, and can it be easily moved around (for storage) once it’s set up?

Participant

Don’t mind at all Rhoderic. The more the merrier 🙂

I’ve an Elegoo Mars 3D resin printer. Generally it has been easy to use and contrary to some concerns, virtually odorless using the manufacturers recommended resin. I’ve had some challenges figuring out the software to scale down some models from Thingiverse and other places but overall while not ‘plug and play’, it has been workable. My oldest son has an FDM printer and from comparing notes it seems, particularly on small scale stuff, the resin printer provides a higher quality print but at the cost of a much smaller print bed, slower printing times and a far more involved clean up. Mine was a gift from said son but I believe it was about $300 US. Elegoo is coming out with a new resin printer with a larger bed (Saturn?) that should be selling close to that price in the US. I hear good things price and quality wise about AnyCubic as well. I’ve no idea on FDM printers. I’ve generally had the cost per model running between $.10 and $.20 in resin. How you amortize the capital cost and other expendables such as alcohol for clean up would raise that a bit. I’m generally printing ships at 1/2400 and under and figures/terrain at 6mm and under.

Thanks. Would you say that cleanup is more of a hassle with a resin printer? What are the curing times like?

This gets good reviews. Any opinions?

https://www.windowscentral.com/nova3d-bene4-3d-printer-review-solid-printer-some-quality-touches

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

McKinstry
    Participant

Clean up is definitely more involved for SLA resin than with FDM although a clogged FDM nozzle can be a real pain. After the print you have to pour the unused resin through a paper filter back into the bottle and clean the print tray with alcohol so a bit of squeegeeing and wiping. All in all, 5-10 minutes of cleaning whereas with FDM you’re basically done when it finishes.

I use a UV light box with a cheap turntable to cure my prints. 15-30 minutes under a common 405nm light. Funny enough, my son printed the box on his FDM printer, the UV light and turntable cost me about $25 for both.

That Bene-4 SLA looks good. My only concern would be the software. I’ve been using the pretty common Chitubox slicer software and I’d probably double check how that reviews. I’d also see if the manufacturers resin has any comments floating about. The Elegoo resin is virtually odorless but I’ve no idea about Nova.

I also note that the upcoming Elegoo Saturn is reported to have a print bed almost twice the size. You may just want to look that up as well if the price point is close.

Roderick – My Elegoo Mars is about 18″x 18″ and maybe 30″ tall and weighs under 10 lbs. I keep it in my office and move it to the garage or a bathroom to actually print as a handy sink makes clean up a bit easier. The resin,  squeegee, micro fiber cloths etc. take up another say 18″ square box. I’d call it very portable.

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

Thanks!

Some of the commentary I’ve picked up on 3D printers over the years have given me the impression that initial set-up can be quite a major undertaking. Then this made me wonder if maybe there were calibration issues complicating the matter of shifting a printer after it’s been set up.

I have a Creality Ender-3.  I’ve printed 1/2400 scale ships and 1/72 scale figures with great success.  This is an FDM printer.  You can get a layer height of .08 and print small  objects quite well.  Lately I’ve been printing nano-scale starships.  Either type of printer is going to have a small learning curve.  Easy enough to learning but you will have to put in the time and not get discouraged if/when you fail with a few prints.  You can also print stuff like 2mm troop blocks for large scale battles.

I chose a FDM printer because, at the time, plant based (aka non-toxic/biodegradable) plastic was available.  I understand that there is now biodegradable resin now so this is no longer an argument though the cost is somewhat higher than PLA.  Neither type of printer will be lightning in a bottle.  Both types of printers will have their strengths and weaknesses.

Armored Cruisers

Death Knight and Lich

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

McKinstry
    Participant

Leveling the bed on my printer was required but it took less than 5 minutes, a sheet of paper and a set screw. My son did have a bit more gyrations in setting up his FDM but not hugely more complicated.

Rob Heath
    Participant

I have had a FDM printer for a few years and it has been a bit of a learning curve but have finally got everything as I want it , I find that the most fun is to design something yourself from scratch and then have it printed and in a physical form , lately I have been designing 19th century ironclad ships that are not available from other manufacturers so I would say 3d printing is almost a hobby in itself

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

I have an Epax 1X and love it!  As above, cleanup is needed, but I do not clean out my vat as it uses none FEP film.  I did make the mistake of putting my hands into a 91% alcohol solution in order to retrieve a small part and am paying for it now…  The Epax is great because you do not have to level the printing bed, but can calibrate the starting height.  Dead simple controls, and about the same size as the printer you’ve linked.

There are a lot of resins out there and some have a lot more odor than others.  So far the best results I have gotten have been from Anycubic and eSun resins, though I am about to use some new Elgoo.  The eSun is a bio-resin and didn’t smell at all but is also “clear” and hard to see how well an item printed until you base coat it.  Not ideal.

As said above, there are some new resin printers coming out with much larger beds, but also for an increased cost.  I”ve been eyeballing the Epax1 10X, but will see how a friend’s does before I commit.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Looking on Amazon (yeah, I know) a few of the printers named above are ‘currently unavailable’ with no restock info. This tells me that there are probably some newer models coming in the next few weeks. I’m going to hang on a bit I think.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I’ll spend the waiting time reading reviews of your printers 🙂

Participant

…and then I thought ‘sod it’ 🙂

McKinstry
    Participant

Go get em!!

Let us know how your first forays go.

Participant

…. but please do turn the vat right side up! 

Participant

…. but please do turn the vat right side up!

I

It’s not set up yet, and I’ve still got to RTFM 🙂

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

Please update us once you’ve printed something. I have my sight on the Epax 1X but couldn’t find one in the UK.

Tired is enough.

Participant

It’s a great printer T., I endorse it highly.  Beat the pants of a buddies Photon.

Participant

Well the manual is next to useless, the proprietary software is crap, and the learning curve is…steep.

After a couple of false starts I managed some 2mm houses. Still needs tweaking, but not too bad even if I say so myself 🙂

McKinstry
    Participant

What is the slicer software?

Looks like a good start.

ian pillayian pillay
    Participant

We’ve just ordered a Prusa 3d for work, nothing to do with miniatures sadly. We make Hydrogen electrolyser.
    However once it arrives it needs setting up and some proof parts printing so naturally they will be all miniature based 😊

3D tisk a 3D tiskárny od Josefa Průši

Tally-Ho!

Participant

What is the slicer software? Looks like a good start.

It came in the box. As I said, it’s not great and the manual explains nothing, so you’re pretty much on your own. Thank gods for the internet 🙂

I’ve installed ChituBox, but I have to find a plugin that will save the files as .cws, because it doesn’t support those.

Onwards and upwards!

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

How is it going so far? I’m temptd to get a 3D printer againa nd the Mars is about a third the price of the X1.

Tired is enough.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.