Home Forums General General 3D printing – Resin SLA v FGM

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  McKinstry 5 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

McKinstry
    Participant

My son has about convinced me to get a resin printer , specifically an Elegoo Mars which looks both vastly affordable and of a significantly superior quality of product compared to the more traditional FGM (melted plastic off a spool) method. Looking at Youtube it certainly seems better but I’m wondering if anyone on this Forum has any experience with such things?

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Some of my old 6mm sci fi masters were resin prints.

No way I would have used an FDM for them, the striations are just too severe.

I think my guys printer was about 20k or more.

Not perfectly smooth but very close.

This was about 3 years ago.

McKinstry
    Participant

The prices on resin printers have plummeted. The Elegoo Mars is under $300 USD and the Youtube evaluations look really good.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  McKinstry.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I haven’t used that particular printer, but I have an Epax 1X and love it.  Simple to use, consistently good results, and the print bed doesn’t have to be re-zeroed everytime (very stable).  It can also use non-FEP films.  Haven’t settled on a specific resin yet, but the ones I have tried from eSun and Anycubic have had no issues.

Best part: the Epax customer service is impeccable!  That makes a huge difference.  A lot of makers just want to put their stuff out there and not deal with any problems, technical or physical whereas Epax will even overnight you a part if it is defective.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Steve Johnson
    Participant

The thing to remember with SLA resins are that they are designed for prototyping, not long term use. The old resins used to be very hygroscopic and warp incredibly easily as a result. The new ones are much better, but still I would much prefer to use metal or injection moulded models, purely for their durability.

McKinstry
    Participant

I had a couple of figures made by some company at Historicon last year that would scan your face onto a 28mm figure using an SLA printer. A year in, they seem to be holding up pretty well with no warping.

I’m looking forward to giving this a shot, in particular as a way to possibly get smaller scale ships that otherwise won’t be commercially produced.

I use an Ender-3 Pro.  It works great for my 1/72 scale fantasy figures.  I’ve been making some great prints of figures I otherwise would not have.  Remember, resin gives off toxic fumes.   You can use PLA plastic on an FDM printer.  I do understand that they’ve recently released a non-toxic, biodegradable resin though.

Death Knight and Lich from an FDM printer painted by me.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

McKinstry
    Participant

Those are some good looking models. Where/how did you get the files?

Thorsten Frank
    Thorsten Frank
    Participant

@Who Asked This Joker:  Thank you for answering a question I wanted to ask.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Those are some good looking models. Where/how did you get the files?

Thank you for the kind words.  The files in question come from here.  They are actually in two sets.  https://gamedecor.com/dungeonworks.html  Total of $7 spent.  The death knight set was less of a bargain as it only came with 3 versions of death knights.  The skeletal mage came in a set with several other useful models.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

McKinstry
    Participant

Nice site. There are some really interesting terrain files there. Thanks.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 11 hours ago by  McKinstry.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.