Home Forums General Blogs 3D Printing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DMDM
    Participant

My latest blog entry has me joining the ranks of the 3D printing community…..

http://dtbsam.blogspot.com/2019/04/3d-fun.html

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

Very neat!

I still need to educate myself about 3D printing as a viable everyperson’s choice for producing miniatures, but as it happens I was just watching some YouTube videos about that specific variety of 3D printer the other day. Apparently some people make “UV chambers” out of boxes, tin foil and 405 nm LED lights to help the prints cure (if that’s needed).

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

I’m jealous. Do you see yourself mostly printing miniatures from now on? Did you have any thickness issue at all? Scaling things down sometimes makes things too thin.

Tired is enough.

jagannath
    Participant

Lovely job!

For a UV blast I just bought a nail curing thing off amazon (a “nailstar”) – cost £12 and works perfectly. I give them two blasts of 3 minutes (one on each ‘side’) once I’ve taken all supports off.

Thorsten FrankThorsten Frank
    Participant

Wow, very nice SHADO interceptors!

Hm, I´m currently getting a bit more into making my own stuff (WARNING: Lot´s of questions incoming! And most of them pewter, plaster and cardboard related) and naturally stumbled over some videos on YT too.
    The whole matter has some very nice pro´s (and some con´s). And, frankly, I´m very fond of the whole process since I´ve seen it from my neighbour (this guy´s has a small company for water purification devices)
    The most important and interesting thing is that the printers are getting increasingly cheaper and are now in a range that a normal person can afford.
    One of the definite pro´s is that you can “print” them for a very low price IF you´ve got the .stl files cheap or, better, for free.
    On the other hand they are very fragile. At least if it comes to more deatailed objects. And there´s not much “life” in many of the minis. And mass production is (currently) not viable.
    Still, I´m increasingly toying around with Heroforge and Desktophero3D. For one off models and if you are all thumbs (like me…) it can be an alternative.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

@Thorsten
    I went 3D several years ago and even though I was happy with the durability (it can be fragile but not much more plastic minis) and I got them printed enmass, I miss the inconsistency of hand sculpted minis. I still want more stuff printed but also feel its too easy. My biggest problem with 3D printing is finding a use for the printer after I’ve printed all I innitially wanted.

The hobby actually became designing minis, I spent weeks and months designing and testing rather than painting and playing games.

I think a lot of the issues like mass production and details is solved by printers like the one DM has, durability is a lot less of a problem once you go 10mm+ YMMV.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by ThomastonThomaston.

Tired is enough.

MattHMattH
    Participant

Amazing level of detail. I’m totally ignorant when it comes to 3d printing, but it’s obviously getting to the point where these things are becoming affordable and practical for the home user.

Have you tried printing any smaller scale ships?

Participant

@Thomaston
    That “design more than play” thing is something that I was into back when I started gaming (the strange infantry and conventional vehicle rules from the original Battletech/Citytech bothered me from the start). I think it´s part of the hobby in some ways – but, imho, it shouldn´t supersede the actual playing. And given the time I already have spent on Heroforge for example…..
    The mass production was meant as an replacement on an commercial level. I´m not quite sure if we are currently on the level of competing with die cast in an rotator or injection molding currently. But I´m pretty sure that will change in the (nearer) future.
    Since I´m watching the Maker scene for a few years now there may be enough things for me to print – but I´m far away from actual buying a printer right now.

Anyway, those are very nice minis you,ve made. What was the software you used to design them? Poser?

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

I use 3DS MAX.

It’s a strange thing, in hind sight, I wish I bought a printer like the Photon when I got started. I could have printed everything I wanted with that level of detail and experimented a lot more. It would have been worth it. Now, despite how much better the technology is, the much smaller volume of stuff I want to print doesn’t justify the time I need to put in.

Mass production probably will never happen with 3D printing. then again if 1 in 100 household have their own printer there wouldn’t be much need for mass production. For miniatures, it still probably prints faster than you could paint.

Tired is enough.

Participant

For miniatures, it still probably prints faster than you could paint.

Aren´t we all have lot´s of minis waiting to be painted? *smile*

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Say, what scale are those tasty Interceptors?

I’ve been seriously eyeballing the Photon.  I think it would work great for test and “vanity” prints for me, but I would still have to send out to a really high-end machine for production masters.

There seems to be conflicting info out there about how easy the supplied slice program is to use.  How has it been for you?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.