Home Forums Ancients 3mm Ancients Project

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Thaddeus BlanchetteThaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I wanted to finish this by Carnaval, but no dice. So here it is, half done.

The terrain modules are 20 x 20cm mdf boards with “towel texture” PVA foam backing. They are covered with several coats of iron paint and, in some cases, sawdust and sand for texture. They are then painted light green and minimally flocked. I am still not pleased with the flocking as it looks too abrupt. I may dry brush it light green to blend it in a bit more.

Hill levels get a progressively darker brown wash and more flocking. Lots of little “rough” areas with a light dry grey brush will also get more flocking and can be ignored or built up into woods or rough going with stick on terrain.

Here you can see an application of that technique, transforming one of these patches into a rough area.

To the lower right, you can see Celtic walled field stick on. Sorry the picture quality is crap.

And here is the Celtic main battle line. These need to be varnished and flocked, but it is too humid for that now! Each group is a unit for Hail Caesar.

We have fanatics in front, warriors in the back, and noble companions bringing up the rear!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Thomaston
    Participant

I really like the rough tiles. Can I get more images of them? I use the same size tiles and I really want to replicate that look. And the hill tiles as well, only spotted them before clicking submit.

3mm really gives a nice mass horde look. The non uniform clothing makes them stand out.

Tired is enough.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I’m amazed that they are 3mm as they ‘look’ bigger.

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

The massed Gauls look excellent. I like the plain green bases. I have 2mm 3-d printed Franco Prussian stuff I am intending on leaving plain wooden MDF bases, painted light green.

A step-by-step tutorial of your terrain tiles would be most cool 🙂

Participant

Thanks, guys! The plain green bases will get some light green flocking, here and there, as will the unflocked tiles. Not sure if this will work, but… the cavalry and chariots are already done, if you want to see the effect.

Participant

Best of all: this table is 110cm x 60 cm, which makes it the equivalent of a 18 x 10 foot table for Hail Caesar. Normal unit frontages are 40cm, where HC’s are 200cm, so roughly one fifth the size.

I figure I will be able to get some 30 units per side on this battlefield and still have plenty of space for maneuver. I can do a DBA battle, with 20mm frontage units, in a 1 foot by 1 foot space. Once I get this set up done to my liking, I will be building a travel DBA kit which will fit in a lunch box.

So this is the big advantage of 3mm, along with the fact that two armies, plus all the terrain, cost me less than 150 dollars, total.

McKinstry
    Participant

The whole project looks fantastic. I really think your 3mm makes for the ideal big ancients battles visual.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Mr. Average
    Participant

That is a pretty swick setup right there.

Participant

I’ll get more pictures up as soon as light conditions permit.

Mat, remember when I said I was going to back these with felt? The towel texture PVA stuff is even better! It creates enough of a grip on the table that you don’t even have to use an under sheet. If I push at a column of these boards with my finger, it really takes some doing to shift them.

I didn’t even know his stuff existed until I found it on sale last week. It can also be used as cut rate flocked mats: buy it in green, stain dark green, dry brush light green and yellow and you’re ready to go for 15mm or 28mm games.

You can see a bit of it at the edges of my tiles.

Participant

Here’s a view of all the units I have painted so far, Romans and Celts:

Closer view of the Roman auxilia on the flanks:

Legionaries:

Mr. Average
    Participant

Poor celts. A people should know when they’re conquered.

Participant

When this batch is done, the Romans will have eight legion cohorts and eight auxiliary cohorts, as well as one archer cohort. They will also have two cohorts of medium cavalry, two cohorts of medium-light cavalry, and a cohort of Numidians. Plus assorted slingers and archer skirmishers.

The Celts will have 8 mobs of heavy infantry, 4 mobs of fanatics, a mob of noble infantry, several groups of slingers, archers, and javelineers, 3 groups of noble cavalry, 6 groups of chariots, and 4 groups of light cavalry.

The Germans and more Romans are coming this week.

Participant

A better picture of the hills, as requested.

Participant

I promise to have better pics once it gets less rainy here.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.