Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic 3mm Austrians for Black Powder

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Here are some pictures of my first Austrian brigade for Black Powder. More can be found on my blog at: http://leadnobleed.blogspot.com.br/2014/09/first-austrian-brigade-for-black-powder.html

Austrian battalions

Austrian Brigade

These are 3mm (or 1/600) Napoleonic figures from Oddizial Osmy, via the good folks at Pico Armor. And behind that, there’s a great story, which will tell you everything you need to know about Pico Armor’s customer service.

Last year, I went up to a conference in Rochester New York. Being that I am normally based out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, I took the opportunity to place my first Napoleonics order with John and the guys from Pico.

It arrived while I was at the conference but, unfortunately, all the Napoleonic infantry was swapped out for ACW infantry!

Well, needless to say, there was much wailing and nashing of teeth on my part, because at this point, I was a couple of days away from heading back home.

When I informed the folks at Pico Armor, however, they immediately dispatched the correct order via overnight Federal Express to my hotel room in Rochester. They even told me to not sweat the ACW stuff (although I did manage to get it back to them). Now THAT is service!

I have been buying stuff from Pico Armor ever since the O8 3mm figs came out and, for my money, there’s not a better mail order company in the market!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

Close-ups!

Now you can see the shakos! The yellow pom-poms are exagerated, but that’s normal at this scale: everything has to be that much brighter and over-the-top to be seen at arm’s length. It is definitely painting for effect in 3mm!

Participant

The same is true in 6mm. When I get a new customer who asks for painting advice I always say: don’t think of it as painting 80 figures. Think of the 80 figures as a single “figure.” If it were a tank or a monster you wouldn’t necessarily paint every scale individually or every tread link.

These look great – I am more and more enamored of smaller scale figures as units look like units, instead of “the bridge club will advance to the heights!”

Participant

Coming from Mark Severin, that is high praise, indeed! Thank you, sir! 😀

Participant

They look really great Thaddeus and show how effective massed small scale figures can be.

Participant

Wow, they are small and very very nice.  Do they do WSS, SYW?

Participant

No tricornes as of yet, William, but Marcin promises that they are “coming soon”. I’m looking forward to them, myself.

Another advantage to 3mm is that you can pretty much play all periods cheaply and easily. We now have Napoleonics, ACW, the World Wars, Modern and Ultra-modern, Sci-fi and now even Romans and (soon) Celts!

Musket and Pike and the early black powder period are the only major hold outs, so far.

3mm armies are rather like Pokemon: gotta catch ’em all!

Participant

Brilliant stuff! Well done and thanks for sharing.

Editor, Battlegames
    http://battlegames.co.uk
    Battlegames on Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/battlegames
    Author, The Wargaming Compendium
    http://amzn.to/leWoNO

Participant

I can second the praise for Picoarmor, they’re always fast and very helpful. Which reminds me, I really should order some more modern British stuff sometime.

pretty interesting

Painter from 6mm all the way up! contact me if you want some work done!

Also working on learning sculpting and plan to open my own lines late this year/early next

Participant

Very interesting and some smart looking Kaiserliks! I may have to rethink my ‘Blucher’ modelling plans…

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Participant

They are very attractive, Thaddeus, and do much to convey a more convincing depiction of ‘real’ unit dimensions than many other formats. 

Bryce Allen

Participant

Dude! Mark Severin, Bryce Allen and Henry Hyde like my figs? I’m stoked! 😀

Thanks for the kind commentary, folks.

I’m now working on a Hungarian regiment, which is fun because the blue pants really make them pop! Next up after them is one more German foot regiment and then I get to work on the light brigade.

That will be a real pain because it’ll 12 squadrons of light cavalry, along with two Grenzer battalions and a Jaeger battalion. I’m using ACW Confederate skirmishers for the Jaeger and I hope they turn out acceptable. If Marcin ever makes some Austrian landwher figs, I’ll swap those in.

I figure the Chevauxlegers will be green. I know that’s not precisely historical, but at this scale, I need to be able to distinguish the units at a glance. Given that the Chevauxlegers and the Cuirassiers use the same castings and the heavy cavalry will be white… well, green it is. The Cuirassiers will have dark horses and Chevaulegers browns and bays, just to further the identification.

My justification for all this is that my games take place in a neighboring dimension. They’re not quite different enough to be “Imaginations”, but it does explain why a Chevauxleger regiment has green uniforms in 1813, for example, or why all the French Fusiliers have blue pom-poms. It’s the easiest way to discourage the button counters, I’ve found (well, that and playing in 3mm in the first place).

When the light brigade is finally done, I’ll have enough for a small but decent game, which I hope to play sometime at the beginning of 2015, just to acclimate myself to the Black Powder rules.

Then I’ll get to work on the Guard brigades for both armies.

Look forward to seeing em! Was browsing their site and interesting all the 3mm they have, yom kippur, ww1, ww2, modern/coldwar, scifi, etc

Also working on learning sculpting and plan to open my own lines late this year/early next

Participant

@Catalyst: If we’re looking for a painter, how do we contact you?

Extra crispy you can use the contact form on my site, message me on  here or email me at [email protected]

Participant

My 6mm Austrian Cheveauxlegers all wear green as well. As you say, it helps to distinguish them on the table from all the cavalry wearing white.

Also, I painted up a couple of regiments before doing a lot of research and didn’t know which regiments wore white and which wore green!

Participant

Those are really nicely done. I keep resisting the 3mm Naps as I don’t think my eyes will take it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.