Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi 3mm epicer than epic

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Nope. It’s all 3mm. A couple of 6mm gobbos are sprinkled in among them as big unz.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

First scrub and rinse done after 12 hours in the Pinesol bath.

Participant

I can’t wait to see it finished Thaddeus, it’ll look totally awesome.

I’ve just laid out my 2.5 meters of green felt hopefully enough to cover 4 tiles I’m just going to have a look around and get some ideas to tone down the card table green,

Participant

As it was originally for a naval game, you can see it has a ship’s mast in one hand and a bit of decking in another.

I don’t know if:

1) I should leave this as it is;
    2) Trim the mast down a bit so it could also be, say, a roofbeam, or;
    3) Cut the mast out entirely or make it over into a tree.

Participant

It looks pretty neat to me as is, it doesn’t scream this is part of a ship, but perhy trim down a little and have as you say a roof beam or similar.

You decided on a colour yet ?

Participant

Probably red, but a brighter red than it was originally. Heading on over into orange and perhaps even yellow on the highlights.

As much as I’d love to stick an elf on her back, I’ve decided that, riderless, she can serve so many more purposes… and I think I will go with just trimming the mast down a bit, because I can’t wait to drop this in the middle of a Black Seas game!

Participant

Y ddraig goch it’s the only way to go, that’s Welsh for the red dragon.

I’m sure it will be spectacular when you finish it .

Participant

Now I need to do something about the colour of this felt lol reminds me of my very early years with plastic airfix 1/72 Nd scale figures lined up on my subuteo pitch and me firing match sticks out of a die cast 25pdr trying to knock them down lol

I can’t wait to drop this in the middle of a Black Seas game!

Is this going to be something like Temeraire?

Participant

I can’t wait to drop this in the middle of a Black Seas game!

Is this going to be something like Temeraire?

Not really. More like a joke on the history students I occasionally play with. If I could, I’d sculpt a Danyrys on its back.

Participant

You can use artists’ pastels on the felt, then hit it with a coat of dull varnish. The pastels might make it fluff up a bit, but a beard trimmer will take care of that.

Also, spritzting it with spray paint works.

Participant

Cheers Thaddeus, I had been toying up with finding a more natural looking shade of green and was thinking of sponging it on, I’ve also just purchased a miss green felt from Amazon it looks a lot better but that’s just in the picture from the site so fingers crossed.

My plan then is go to the local paint store with the new felt and try to get the best match to that as I can providing it hits the sweet spot colour wise.

I’m going to plan a few simple boards not many roads ant no river yet and get them ready and see how it hangs together.

Participant

that should have been moss green felt 

Participant

Here she is in all her cleaned and trimmed glory! Chopping off half of that mast really helped.

Following the Tolkien tradition of grand dragon names, I give you Acheropita the Miffed.

Acheropita over Glória (Zeca for scale):

Participant

<b>That’s one menacing looking beastie there Thaddeus, great job on cleaning her up </b>

Participant

<b>That’s one menacing looking beastie there Thaddeus. </b>

Nah. Zeca’s too old to do much more than lie in the sun. He didn’t even give Acheropita more than a sniff. 😀

Participant

A couple of answers to questions friends have asked:

Q) Why a female dragon?
    A) Well, it’s pretty obvious she doesn’t have a penis.

Q) Why “the miffed”?
    A) You wouldn’t want to see her when she’s angry. Right now, you just need a new roof.

Participant

Whoops! Double post.

Participant

LMAO never upset a female 😂

Participant

Participant

That’s the moss green felt from Amazon, first pretty rushed attempt at attaching it to the tile.

Any thoughts ?

Participant

I like it. Hit it with some artist pastels and rub the color in with cotton swabs!

Participant

You’re making me think! I’ve begun to imagine what I could do in the way of high-sculpture, low-area setups: 16” x 16” could allow a lot of gaming at 3mm scale.

Participant

<b>Thanks Thaddeus, we’re entering a 2week firebreak lockdown here, I’m hoping this weekend to get 4tiles covered so fingers crossed lol how’s acheroptia the miffed coming along ?</b>

Participant

Well I’m sure you’ll do a better job than I will with the terrain Mr Average, I found the idea on Pinterest, I’m hoping mine will be useful for my 6mm and 3mm, but if not then I think I’ll be able to do a separate set for the 3mm.

I believe this site is all about giving inspiration and new ideas I’ve been truly inspired by the work of your good self and Thaddeus and Thomaston, also extremely grateful for tips and ideas given by everyone here .

Participant

Acheropita’s coming along fine! She’ll probably be the last miniature I paint before we move house. Certainly the last significant mini. The base, wash, highlighting and details are done. All that is left to do now is highlight details and touch her up a bit. This week has been absolutely nuts, however,

Participant

Moving house arrrgh I feel for you, hope it all goes smoothly.

I need to get myself a good pair of detail scissors having a real mare trying to cut out the felt between the teeth of the tiles, the PVA white glue has done a good job no noticeable warping on the tile, have to say the colour is great in natural light, not so in artificial light but it will serve a purpose reasonably priced interlocking terrain

That felted board looks good. How thick is the felt? Can you link the amazon page for me?

I didn’t know you were going to make the hill part of the board, you might as well go for something like this. The terrain not the board.

Participant

<i>Hi Thomaston, re the hill I’m just experimenting at the moment so thought I’d try a built in hill.</i>

I’m hopless at trying anything technical I just typed in green felt on Amazon UK .

It’s the first one to come up, Moss Green craft felt 90cm wide and sold by the meter I’d say it’s 2mm thick it’s a good coverage the polystyrene hill is stiy white and it doesn’t show through

Participant

Participant

<b>Ok managed to get a tidy pair of scissors, so teeth cut out, road finally cut out, that was a bit hairy but done, road bed glued and play sand added hopefully it’ll work </b>

Participant

The nice thing about the felt is that even if you don’t cut it perfectly, you SHOULD be able to just comb the extra bits over or into the cracks.

Participant

A comb-over, as it were.

Participant

Lol it is very forgiving

Participant

Acheropita the Miffed goes to have a word with some elves….

This also shows my felt mat, which — like yours, Jon — is glued to a thick piece of PVA matting, desert on one side and green on the other. The whole thing slots into the back of my magnetized blackboard set up and can be hung on the wall, blackboard side out, solving the storage problem and providing my office with a nice message board.

I started with moss green felt, like you. I washed it in a ton of bleach to brighten it up. Then I rubbed in various artist’s pastels with alcohol-soaked cotton swabs. I used and old beard trimmer to cut off the worst of the resulting fuzz. Finally, I gave the whole thing a soaking in scotchguard and a coat of flat spray varnish, which keeps the pastel dust under control.

More shots of Carrie in better light:

Participant

Acheroptia the miffed is looking spectacular Thaddeus well impressed.

I was to hesitant to try washing the felt as every where I looked they advised against, I’m happy enough with the moss green felt, but will definitely try it with the card table dark green felt I have, can I ask did you wash it in a machine or by hand ? And did it retain its shape ? Also how much bleach lol.

I’m sure Acheroptia will make mince meat of the pointy eared ones

Participant

I washed it twice in a machine with two or three good glugs of bleach each time. The felt DID NOT retain its shape, but I had bought an extra big piece so I just ironed it down and cut it to size.

Participant

<b>Cheers Thaddeus I’ll definitely try that with the dark green felt </b>

Participant

Got a bit more painting in me before the move, it turns out. Trying to finish up a few orcs and trolls, plus one nasty rock giant (who’ll sooner or later become part of a dwarven army).

Participant

“Oh, Rocky!”

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.