Home Forums Ancients 3mm Imperial Roman Legion

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

…at 8 men per figure.

Here we see the ten cohorts, the cavalry turma, the scorpios, and the commanders.

I think I need to brighten up some of the shields.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wow!!!

13 units for Hail Ceasar at than 25 dollars on an 8inch by 8 inch terrain module.

McKinstry
    Participant

Looks fantastic. Who is the manufacturer?

The tree of Life is self pruning.

These are all Oddizial Osmy (O8), bought via Pico Armor in the U.S.

1/600 and 3mm Scale Miniature Wargaming

Close up of the elite first cohort and cavalry turma

Legio XXI Canina Verpa.

McKinstry
    Participant

Who will the opponent be?

The gauls I posted earlier, plus a German army I am working. Finally, there will be another set of Romans for civil wars.

When I am done, I should have around twenty cohorts of legionairies, 15 of medium/heavy auxilia, 2-3 cohorts of skirmishers, 2 sagitarri cohorts, and about 6 ala of cavalry (each made up of 2-4 subunits). I might need more cavalry.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Brilliant!  Looks really impressive, and the whole shebang, including 3 different opponents can be had for less than $100, yes?  I love what a bang you get out of PicoArmor.  My whole Vietnam setup, including aircraft, boats, tanks, infantry, artillery, etc was also at that price while 1/12th of the same stuff in 15mm has costed 3x that amount.

Loving this.  That Legion looks dang impressive on the field.  Now you just need some siege equip and artillery.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

On a side note, recently learned there is now a Call of Cthulhu game set in Roman England.  Might be a good excuse to make up some 3mm monsters!

Thomaston
    Participant

Those look really nice. I think the shields looks fine. Making them brighter might take away from teh shiny helmets.
    I’m wondering if you wouldn’t be tempted to do the cohorts at 1:1? You could then go back to 8:1 for the civil war game and have 80 cohorts 😀

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Really impressive! 3mm is an excellent scale for gaming.

One to one is just too much of a good thing, Thomaston.

These units have a nice heft. A frontage of 4cm for Hail Ceasar, they can be broken down into half-sized units so I can play DBA on a one foot by one foot space. My goal with that is to get a traveling DBA kit that can fit in a lunch box, inspired by your designs.

McKinstry
    Participant

They look like actual units not just a base with a few figures. I may have to wander over to Oddizial/Pico and try an army to paint. You cannot beat the price.

Yep. As I always say, 3mm is pretty much a “freebie” scale, with two armies costing less than fifty bucks, painting time minimum, and play space available on your coffee table.

Hell, if you do four castings of eight soldiers each for auxilia and legionaries, on half-sized DBA bases, a Roman DBA army will cost you less than twenty dollars to field — in other words, approximately the price of one Games Wankshop figure.

Another way to look at it is that your standard four casting DBA base will cost you around 2.50 USD in 15mm and about a buck in 3mm. So if you and a friend buy together, you can easily get a DBA army for under fifteen dollars.

McKinstry
    Participant

Any chance you’ll ever do a game at one of the HMGS cons? I’d love to see those armies in the flesh. I’ll even buy the beer!

I’d love to, but the chances are slim to none unless I manage to land a new job in the U.S.

The Roman Army so far, complete with auxilia, cavalry, artillery and archers.

Note that for Hail Caesar, this set up is the equivalent of a 10 foot by six foot board. It fits on my veranda breakfast table. How to play massive games while living in a downtown apartment. 🙂

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Now THAT looks like a proper Legion!   Now you just need some war machines like scorpions, balista, etc.

I can’t imagine how much that setup would cost in any other scale.

Thomaston
    Participant

You got me buying 3mm samurais.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Oooh! Another project I need to do.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Would love to see that from both of you!  Heck, I might join in if I can find a set of rules I like!

German hordes forming up to take on the Romans…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.