Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century 3mm Magister Militum 18th Century painted for Maurice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

OK, many people around the gaming blogosphere have been asking for this, so…

Thanks to Mr. Tim Porter, who went above and beyond the call of wargaming camaraderie in hand-transporting Magister Militum’s new 3mm figures to Brazil, the first regiments in my Extreme Lace Wars project for Maurice are now done.

There’s a review and many more pictures to be seen at Lead Doesn’t Bleed, including some comparison shots with O8’s stuff, so you can see how they scale together. (Quite nicely, as it turns out.)

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

They look lovely, you really do have a talent for painting 3mm (a talent I most certainly do not have), nice one!

Northern Monkey
    Participant

These look great, though I must resist urge to start a new scale!

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Again, this is pretty much a “freebie” as far as scales go, NM.

I think Magister Militum’s figures are expensive. Even so, I bought two medium-sized armies for Maurice for 60 pounds. That’ll buy you three regiments of plastic 28mm.

Here it bought me 22 regiments of foot, 8 regiments of cavalry and 15 artillery pieces: 139 stands, all told. And it all fits in a cigar box.

Again, it’s not for everyone. But given the relative cheapness, completeness of the lines and fast painting, this is a “bonus scale”. Use it to build a nice little traveling set for your favorite 18th century rules.

Hell, for awhile I was thinking of doing TWO stands a unit for Maurice. This would make my regiments 40mm wide and the typical Maurice battleground (6 foot by 4 foot table) a 40 cm x 25 cm space.

What I am going to do is paint up a few of my extra infantry stands as flag stands. This will allow me to double my forces at will by cutting unit sizes by half. I’ll be able to put 48 regiments of foot, 16 regiments of horse and 15 artillery units on the table. I will then make an MDF carrying case that will fold out into a 60 x 40 cm playing space where I can play Maurice at 1 centimeter to the base width.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Great work Thaddeus!

Northern Monkey
    Participant

TB are you on commission

As much as its tempting (and I did pick up some of Odzial’s 3mm ACW) im too heavily invested in 6mm, and truth be told, I see too little difference in the cost and visual effect on the tabletop to make me invest in 3mm, however saying that, I am really really tempted by the 3mm Vietnam range simply for the amount of Helicopters I could field and playing it in 3mm would certainly save some cash, no idea on rules though as ive only ever played Vietnam with skirmish rules.

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Hey, NM, I TRIED to get on commission. MM wasn’t having any of it, however. Good thing, too, or I’d feel uncomfortable describing their cannons as sex toys with wheels.

But your Vietnam project is EXACTLY the sort of thing 3mm is good for. I would have never done Napoleonics or 18th century in another scale: too much effort, too much money. But they became eminently doable in 3mm.

There’s no reason for you to do 3mm for a period you already have in another scale (unless, as I said, you want to make a highly portable tabletop edition of your game). But it is also great for doing one-off projects in periods you’d otherwise not attempt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.