Home Forums Modern 3mm Nam-o-rama

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

For many years now I’ve been working on a Micro-Nam game.  Maaany.  I was even working on something back before I even wrote FNG for THW.  It started as a set of rules where the ground stuff was all very abstract as it was to just be a background for zooming little helicopters around.  But I do care about the grunts on the ground, so detail and complexity was added, and I ran a few watered down playtest games at Historicon (a riverine mission) and MillenniumCon (attack on Charlies Point with PBR Street Gang having to make their way up river, and another that was an early USMC beach operation with LVT5Ps), and a lot of fun was had.  I even talked Oddzial Osmy into making A-1 skyraiders, O-1 Bird Dogs and brown water navy boats for me.  But then we tried to shoehorn it into the THW system so it could dovetail with FNG and it just didn’t have the right feel.  It wasn’t what I wanted to play because it had to be watered down to handle  up to a dozen players. So it was shelved for a long time.  I’ve recently taken the old figs out to get back to making the game I want to play, though it may be unwieldy to other.  So here begins the chronicle of my tiny little troops for Vietnam.

Vn1

{Please forgive the horrible phone camera photos}

Here we have one of my base infantry units.  I wanted to set it up to be scaleable.  this unit began as a USMC rifle company with each infantry stand representing a fireteam, 3 fireteams equal a squad, 3 squads plus the Platoon HQ equals a platoon.  3 platoons and you have a rifle company with Coy HQ stand.  The narrow 2 man MG stands here would be teams from the WepPlt that could be directly attached individual squads.  The little 3-man stands could be FOs, the PltSgt, or even the Corpsman.  To make it a US Army platoon just remove 1 stand from each squad.

This could also be scaled up to each stand represent a Battalion with each infantry stand being a platoon with 3 or 4 platoons to a Coy, each 3 man stand the PltHQ, and there being a CoyHQ for each as well as a BatHQ stand.  The teams would then represent either extra firepower to specific platoons or even squads that have become separated or detached from their respective parents.

Rear view of a unit.  These were originallys tarted when Oddzial Osmy only had their modern range, which is the prone troops.  Then they came out with some WW2 and I believe I used the Russians for more US troops (oh the irony) as well as NVA.  I also used the WW2 brits for the VC as the pot helmuts look like the conical hats.  The WW2 figs are much larger than the earlier modern figs, but it works.  O8 later came out with Nam figs but I opted to not use them as they look too cartoony to me.

Jack and I use the same marking method for our micro troops, with the squad number on the left and the platoon on the right (or plt on the left and Coy on the right).  US is blue with white, though I have Air and Armored Cav having blue with yellow markings. SVN are yellow with red, NVA are red with white, and VC are red with yellow.

More to come!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Nicely based! Still appropriately painted, and yet you can see them!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Just Jack
    Participant

Very cool, Darby.  I’ve got a similar setup in 6mm, so take your time with those rules, buddy 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks guys!  I do need to add just a little to the bases, these were all a rush job way back when…

Here are some example LVT5P.  I have a whole company’s worth…

On the far left you can see my hand-made PBR Street Gang.  Luckily O8 have come out with one of their own and it it lovely.  I’ll have to do a comparison.

The amtrak with the H on the cylinder is supposed to be a How-6 105mm support version, the battery having B, D, and H markings.  The one with the Star was the HQ, and the one with the boom is a greeblie to make it a Recovery track (which is different from the engineering tracks with the dozer blade and upper bar, which I lost or were swipped…).

Though thin skinned, they were a workhorse for the Jarheads for a couple of years until they were more comfortable with helos.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I really think the bases are super as the contrast nicely with the paint job. WWI on is always difficult at this scale because everything is trying to hide. You need to base contra to paint scheme without it looking too strange and what you have done here is a great example of that technicque.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks dude!  You can see that I spent a little bit more time/detail on that one base, with even the track trails shown as it was an PltHQ vehicle and one of the original 4 I did.  The others were a bit of a rush job to get them game ready but I really should revisit all of these troops and tanks to do better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.