Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi 3mm Scale Blood Angels along Extremely Traditional Lines

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Average
    Participant

I was rummaging for an old copy of Dragon Magazine a while back and turned up a trove of old White Dwarf mags from the early 90s – I had thought they were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina but this was a real pleasure to find! They were all the issues concerned with Epic (1st and 2nd Edition).

The Blood Angels Studio Army for 2nd Edition always caught my imagination as a kid, and since I have 3mm figures from Vanguard on hand, I decided to start my own, along highly traditional, OSR, bright colored 90’s lines.

It’s a pretty thrilling rendition of Blood Angels Orange, so far.

Steven Francis
    Participant

Love proper blood angels colours, and the original style before they went all vampire. No issues with vampires, but my in power armour

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah they got super emo didn’t they? But, well…

My goal is to mirror the original Studio 6000 point force – a Battle Company, Assault Company, Tactical Company, Devastator Company, and support. It’ll have some modifications of course – I’m adding a Thunderhawk Gunship, jet bikes instead of motorcycles, more Dreadnoughts instead of the nigh-unusable Imperial Robits, and a bevy of Predator Tanks. Maybe some Superheavies if I can mash up reasonable rules for them. No idea what to do about the Titan yet, I’m afraid – I’m not paying $150 for a Warlord that’s way out of scale. Maybe a friend with a 3D printer will help, but that’s a big if for now – might content myself with some proxy Reavers instead.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I can’t wait to see these finished!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mr. Average
    Participant

I have several more companies coming in the mail as we speak. One of the things I really liked about 1st/2nd edition Space Marine was that it was strongly infantry-centric, and that the various forces felt very unique and had a distinct style of play attached to them. They also gave infantry a strong chance against the tanks so combined arms support was essential. No aspersions cast upon lining up your tanks and having a blast, but something really got genericized round about the 3rd edition. I know the feeling was it got too complex but that never really bothered me.

Incidentally, Thaddeus, I’m using your scale conversion: X/5cm*1”=3mm scale distance. That will keep the size of my board manageable, I hope. Although I recently got myself a nice 60” square tabletop that will be quite appropriate for battling upon.

Mike
    Keymaster

5′ with 3mm?
    Crikey. You can use Titans on summat that big.

Mr. Average
    Participant

That’s the idea! Battle is my primary goal, “More Epic Than Epic” is my motto.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Yep. I call it “apartment dweller scale”.

You can play a traditional 6×4 game on a coffee table and it looks brilliant! You can also play mega-fucking-huge games on normal 6×4 table.

Right now, I’m taking a break from 3mm for a bit, as I have just moved to a new apartment that actually has room for a 6×4 table in the office (collapsable, but still). So I allowed myself to go back to 28mm for ONE period/theme, just for the nostalgia of it. Oathmark and Saga have always tickled may fancy, so I have gone Dark Age Fantasy.

But as soon as we finish unpacking (July?) I plan to rebase my fantasy set up along Mat’s lines.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mr. Average
    Participant

The two scales are somewhat interactive. Play skirmishes in 28mm that provoke epic, society-altering battles at 3mm.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Speaking of Titans, I have managed through secondhand channels to acquire some original Imperator Titans, miraculously unassembled – originals! I’m beside myself. At their classic size, they scale out almost perfectly with 3mm scale. This is going to be a hoot!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Now when you say originals, do you mean these?:

OG titans

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

No, I mean these:

A friend of mine just moved and had some “lying around.” Heard I was doing a 3mm epic army and asked if I wanted them. Did I ever!

Mr. Average
    Participant

That’s just a photo I found for descriptive purposes – my models are all jumbled up in a plastic bag and need sorting out but I think there are several models’ worth in there – and I counted at least two of each piece, more of some.

But these guys duking it out is exactly the right amount of crazy for 3mm scale.

Mr. Average
    Participant

My backup plan is 6mm scale Stalkers from Vanguard, to play up the widely varied and ultimately ludicrous size of Titans in the 40k milieu.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ah, my bad.  I have some old Warlords laying around somewhere if you’d like 1 or 2?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

If you’re willing to part with them!

Mike
    Keymaster

I loved Adeptus Titanicus.

Mr. Average
    Participant

So did I. It’s where I learned what Superheavy Tanks are and I’ve always included them in my orders of battle ever since!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Too humid to prime today but I’m basing marines instead. Part of the Sixth Company here – tactical marines.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.