Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi 3mm Scale Legions Imperialis

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Rather than hijack Ian’s thread, here’s a new one: I’m preparing minis for a 3mm scale Legions Imperialis and/or NetEA game kit. Unfortunately this weekend was a series of intense crises as I was in a car accident and then my drain pipes overflowed, and I had to prep for a hellish week to come, of meetings, travel, and a work deadline. However, against so much unfairness of things, I did paint a little bit.

The last one is to show my current experimentation with basing – magnetized bottom, thin wood top, and the whole thing sandwiches together very nicely.

Participant

Deathguard IIRC – my fave ‘SM’ in 40K

Will the game board be metal backed or are the magnets for storage only?

Cool
    I can’t imagine how you paint the tank with grimes like that. I don’t think you used wash. I’d love to see a painting tutorial.

What are the dimensions of the magnet? For me the two layers of base was too thick so I did the layer with the hole and then stuck a piece of paper on top. It’s as thin as I could get and with the texture on top looks ok too.

Keymaster

Nice, I am guessing you are OK?

Participant

Nice, I am guessing you are OK?

Physically yes, the damage is mainly to the body, the car still drives and I wasn’t hurt. Of course, my house smells like garbage though from the plumbing mess, so it needs a lot of airing out. It’ll take a few days to see if there was more major damage beyond the stink but I think I caught it prior to utter disaster.

Participant

Deathguard IIRC – my fave ‘SM’ in 40K Will the game board be metal backed or are the magnets for storage only?

That’s a great idea – next level stuff! Right now I’m doing squares of plywood with modular terrain on it – cliffs, rough terrain, etc. I want to use it double as Fantasy terrain for war in the Great Red Desert now that the Microworld Imperial forces are out in 3mm scale, and the Undead are pending.

Participant

A mate of mine “flocked” his hills with fine iron filings. Our magnetically based figures no longer tended to slide downhill.

Something to consider for the ultimate portable game?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

🤯

Participant

Mr Average that’s amazing brush work. 3mm legion is a great idea! I guess it’s a 1/3rd size of the new marines. Which means the “ground” scale is even more realistic if you can be realistic with a sci-fi game.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Mr Average that’s amazing brush work. 3mm legion is a great idea! I guess it’s a 1/3rd size of the new marines. Which means the “ground” scale is even more realistic if you can be realistic with a sci-fi game.

Distances in the new game seem to be in inches, so if I scale down to 1” =1cm, I can fit a very respectable game on my coffee table. Now granted, I already have a game table that’s 4’ x 6’, but I like options!

My cat likes the Land Raider, by the way. This morning I found her pushing it around the table in little circles with her paw, very carefully keeping it away from the edges. Always watching, always learning… by the time the rules get here she’ll be a worthy opponent. She’s also fascinated by the turrets on my 15mm scale Predators – she likes the fact that they turn with the push of a paw.

A cat who likes minis games – this is not what I imagined when I adopted her.

Participant

A cat who likes minis games – this is not what I imagined when I adopted her.

Much better than a cat who likes how minis taste, like I have!

As above, fantastic brush work.  And very glad you are ok.  Hopefully you won’t have the “3rd day after “soreness.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Always with gamers it seems there is The Cat.

Participant

I was looking at doing the same… I probably have more than enough 6mm marines but have looked at the 3mm stuff for years thinking of playing second edition… I already have a few titans but still on the fence about another scale…

Yours look amazing and definalty help tempt me…

Participant

I love and play 6mm scale a lot, but 3mm scale is also a great “auxiliary scale” because it’s so economical. You can get very respectable armies for not very much money and it lets you doodle around with different forces without getting in over your head. I strongly recommend you at least try it – it’s the closest I’ve found in feeling to really running true size battles on the tabletop 1:1, since it also makes ranges scale far more realistically. There’s a lot to like about it.

Participant

it’s the closest I’ve found in feeling to really running true size battles on the tabletop 1:1, since it also makes ranges scale far more realistically.

That’s why I play large size Vietnam games in 3mm.  It gives you the whole battlefield, plus extra.  In Vietnam specific it wasn’t unusual for a helicopter supporting an operation to be shotdown outside the immediate engagement area thus causing the battle to change as assets had to be shifted to secure the crash site, rescue survivors, etc.  3mm also allows reinforcements to be moved around on table so they actually move to the battle or can be ambushed enroute, also changing the whole dynamic over what can be shown as a small slice of the action at, say, 28mm where you can really only handle a platoon or so.

Participant

That’s exactly it. In sci fi terms you can combine air, space, surface artillery assets, etc all in a reasonable area. And for Fantasy your forces actually make units of genuine size – like a 1” square base with five strips of Microworld troops on it will make a company of fifty to a hundred men!

Participant

I use a magnetic board for my fantasy 3mm and it works really well!

I have been meaning to ask you, Mat: what Fantasy rules are you using these days?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

I switch between Fantastic Battles and Warmaster. I found that two strips of Microworld troops fit beautifully on a 10mm x 20mm base which makes Warmaster the ideal choice, and I prefer it’s visuals and it’s nostalgia, plus the complexity of the gameplay. But Fantastic Battles plays a little more smoothly, and has way more options, which lets me use all the Microworld Games toys that aren’t necessarily covered well with analogues in Warmaster.

Participant

To wit:

Participant

I happened to see images in passing of a game I used to love back in the 90s – turn based strategy called Fallen Haven. Mainly I liked it because it felt very much like a tabletop game and I loved the map graphics. They seem primitive now but they’re really pleasing to me:

So rummaging through my bits drawer (my budget is tapped out) I found a heap of old chenille pipe cleaners and remembered that GHQ used to have a system for making trees out of them – and the scale seems to anticipate 3mm scale miniatures. So I gave it a shot and it’s way easier than it would seem at first glance. Pretty convincing too!

That’s about five minutes’ work actually – I feel like o could production-line these pretty easily. The deciduous trees look best, but that’s just because I’m not practiced enough with the palms. I’m going to keep practicing for a future bit of jungle terrain. But for now, my thought, in my infinitely fussy way, is to make little 1” square forest tiles and lay out my terrain on a 1 x 1 grid, like the classic isometric games. I’m even sure I have some autumn colored flock somewhere so I could do seasonally-appropriate sets. And tiling it will let me remove one tile at a time to accommodate forces inside forests. Possibly too fussy but something about it appeals to me and the price is right since I already have the parts in the form of leftovers in the box.

Just another project to keep me from going insane as my life slides from crisis to crisis.

Participant

The trees are great.

Hope life soon turns around for you.

Participant

Thanks, Andrew. I shouldn’t really be putting personal stuff above, it doesn’t really matter. Things are tough all over.

I’ll say this though, my dream of an isometric battlefield is closer to reality: four trees on a 1” magnetized base make a really sweet bit of Dense Forest, and are very economical on materials. I can make some nice heavily forested boards this way.

Participant

Beautiful project! You’re right everyone has troubles, but that won’t keep us from wishing you well.

I second Deleted User’s request for a painting tutorial. I was excited to try 3mm epic a couple years back and got frustrated after several attempts that ended in unsatisfactory paint jobs, leading to the project fizzling.

Participant

For me it’s all in the basing. Base your infantry first, then build up the base around them with white glue and sand, and prime the whole thing. That conceals the little platforms they stand on and makes each squad easier to handle. If you also have a magnet in the base you can put the little stand of troopers on the end of a roofing nail, which makes them easier to handle. Beyond that it’s like painting any other miniature, just smaller. I do recommend that you NOT dry brush at this scale, though. It all ends up looking like they ran through a dust storm. But base coat with thinned shadow color, pick out the panels and such with a middle tone, then highlight with a bright edge color, trying to keep a consistent side towards your imagined light source. Paint the base an appropriately contrasting color, and edge in black – paint, or I’ve recently discovered a black indelible marker works well too, for wood bases.

Participant

By the way, I appropriated some samples of sheet stainless steel from our office – we ordered a sample that was A430 instead of A304 by mistake. Magnetic was bad for the site but good for my project so now I have a nice little steel panel I’m going to paint and lacquer as my base for my isometric battle board.

Participant

Thanks, Andrew. I shouldn’t really be putting personal stuff above, it doesn’t really matter. Things are tough all over.

Hey bud, don’t ever worry about what other will think about your personal issues, we are a great community and we do care.  Don’t ever be afraid to talk about your issues or even reaching out if you need anything.  We gamers can be a prideful lot, but we are also resourceful and helpful bunch!

I appropriated some samples of sheet stainless steel from our office

Now that’s a windfall!

Those trees came out great, doing light forest should be as easy as only putting like 2 trees of a slightly lighter color or some such.  This can be very versatile, but wow are you ever going to be making a ton of these if you have a couple of large forests!

Participant

Bingo in the two trees being light forest. My goal for the initial kit is 25 dense forest and 25 light forest. The boards are 12” square – laser cut don’t you know so nice and accurate. I’m actually thinking of doing a partially-terraformed mars as a base mainly because I love the look of red soil, but also because it would be a nice backdrop for VSF air battles as well as more gothic, Schism Of Mars style games. I hope anyway. For hills I’m casting some Hirst Arts dungeon floors.

Participant

For hills I’m casting some Hirst Arts dungeon floors.

Ooo, what’s that going to look like?  I’m guessing step-type hills and not rounded.

Participant

Steppy stone hills. Flat tops for easy placement of bases and other terrain. It’s a very “BattleTech” style, but in my mind so far it has all looked the way it turns out to be in real life so I’m going with it.  To be honest the only reason I’m going with squares instead of hexes is aesthetic – I like square edges on my game boards.

I’m not sure about water, roads, etc. yet but I think more tiles, albeit probably thin ones in strips so I can not have to Build infrastructure one square at a time. But maybe I won’t mind that as much as I think, frankly. I’m going to try some things.

Participant

Rummaging through my old samples bin on my lunch break I’ve found some 6” square sheet metal parts, too. That might be interesting because it would fit better in a travel box, (I’m using an old 40cal ammo box for this project) or maybe make good staging for troops before/after battle.

Participant

So I found out someone did a “campaign tile” set that they, incidentally, seem to have scaled really well for 3mm, so a very willing and long-suffering friend printed them off for me. Note the feature piece, a multi-part crashed Imperial frigate. This will be the core of my travel size game kit. I’m just mulling over what color to make the terrain, either a yellow ochre or a Mars-y red-orange.  I’m leaning towards the latter as being more dramatic.

We tested out larger tiles but because the surface features aren’t all to a constant scale, leaving them as-is was best. The main features work very well with Vanguard 3mm scale figures.

Alas the creator of these tiles did not do edges so I have to live with ragged hex edges but that’s tolerable. He did add little seats for magnets though which is super handy – they’re pretty precise so the magnets help a lot and the gaps are pretty tight (so far anyway) – the gaps on Terrainmaker tiles were the bane of my existence. I particularly like the slope tiles, they give you a nice rolling battlefield.

Participant

Thanks, Andrew. I shouldn’t really be putting personal stuff above, it doesn’t really matter. Things are tough all over. I’ll say this though, my dream of an isometric battlefield is closer to reality: four trees on a 1” magnetized base make a really sweet bit of Dense Forest, and are very economical on materials. I can make some nice heavily forested boards this way.

I think the trees look really nice.
    Anyway I hope things pick up for you.

A friend of mine used the phrase, “I neatly ricochet from crisis to crisis” which I rather liked, it made it sound as if he was at least partially in control

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

The trees turn out to be perfect for my 3mm scale BattleTech set actually! I have a bunch on scatter terrain bases now. They are very handy for that.

Thanks for the good wishes by the way, the present crisis is that the week before last I clocked about 7000 air miles and 1000 driving miles, and got COVID for my trouble. Thankfully the strain is now weak so I’m getting over it pretty well.

Participant

Good to hear you are on the mend  🙂

Participant

Thanks.  Work too much and sooner or later the universe catches up to you.

As for the color of this post-apocalyptic warzone, I am testing out a red-brown, red, and ochre kind of mix.  I hope it comes out sort of orangey – I like the desert world from the old Starcraft games as a model.

Participant

Look forward to seeing the result 🙂

Participant

…I am testing out a red-brown, red, and ochre kind of mix. I hope it comes out sort of orangey…

Once you have a colour you like it may be worth going to a home decorator and see if they can reproduce this in home paint if you have one locally. This may let you have the board colour a lot cheaper than little pots / tubes of paint. The cheap kids ‘artist’ acrylic tubes I have differ in colour – the change in the blue was very noticeable.

Participant

Yeah I’m using craft acrylic, as I can’t afford to spend on model grade paints for this much terrain.

Participant

My tile color test, and honestly I’m torn: Rust Desert or Ash Wastes? I thought somehow it would be easier when I tested them but I like them both!

Participant

Go for the pale one but have patches of the red one spreading or seeping out from cracks in the ground?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.