Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi 3mm Scale Legions Imperialis

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Rust

Participant

Agreed it’s a hard call.

Rust is more alien but it’s going to be hard on the eyes over a large area.

The ash waste is easier to look at but reminds me more of a standard desert…

I would go for the rust TBH – it also matches the figure bases from the earlier posts better.

Participant

See? It’s not so easy! My inclination is to do ash but use rust for the rocky outcroppings on some of the tiles. A red shale planetary crust with a pulverized nuclear ash blowing over it. You’re right that it does look a little like standard desert so I like the idea of the rusty plains but it’s a dark value which may not be the best for a minis set. I’m pondering even still – the consensus from my various FB memberships is Ash so far.

Participant

I like the idea of a very red base, with dark-to-medium grey ash on top, sifting down and filling in the cracks.  Your light colored Marines would really pop.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

A further experiment, adding a liberal red-brown wash. Wash on the right, original on the left.

Participant

OK seeing them together I can understand why the ash and red ‘hills’ would work.

I’m not sure the wash adds anything without a dry brush over the top to lighten it back up again – I would skip it myself.

The hexes look great though – I think no matter which you go with the result will be super (bit green TBH with my Ogre cardboard boards).

Participant

I think you’re right that the wash has to either go on below the highlights or just leave off. There are some tiles with rocky outcroppings and those are going to be red shale, but the main base I think I’ll go with the ochre desert as the main color.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.