Home Forums Modern 3mm Scale Team Yankee

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Average
    Participant

That’s the ORIGINAL Team Yankee, not the compromised second draft! While packing up for an impending move (several months off, but one wants to be prepared) I found the remnants of the old Frank Chadwick design, with the majority intact including the rules, but many counters missing. I thought I had tossed the whole thing after Hurricane Katrina but here it was! And since I’ve gotten into 3mm scale in the intervening years, it has me thinking!

The game is super simple, mainly a slugfest, but that kind of gives it promise for quick pickups at the club. A little model terrain, a little 3mm work and some base labels for game stats, a hex to inch conversion, and everything old is new again. Better than, in fact, since minis will be easier to hold facing with.

And although the points values aren’t given, there’s a whole section at the back on other nations’ forces to supplement the relatively thin US vs. Frontline Soviet forces. Why not?

Russell Phillips
    Participant

Are you talking about a Team Yankee board wargame? I didn’t know there was such a thing.

Military history author

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yes! Published by GDW in 1987. I’d Place its level of complexity somewhere just to the north of Ogre – facing is an issue, guided missiles are in play, different infantry types. Still pretty simple, nothing on the level of, say, the World at War series (before Mark H Walker et al added all the werewolf nonsense and the impossible scenarios that railroaded the Americans, and effectively broke the game). But I remember it being a fast and fun play, with a very heavy casualty rate.

Yeah, I have thought about doing something like this, too. Or simply an expanded version of Ogre.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Russell Phillips
    Participant

Yes! Published by GDW in 1987. I’d Place its level of complexity somewhere just to the north of Ogre – facing is an issue, guided missiles are in play, different infantry types.

Cool. I only knew of the Battlefront game

Sounds like a very interesting project.

Military history author

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah it feels like a very streamlined version of that. The Battlefront game, when I played it (admittedly only briefly) involved rolling long lineups of special effects and special powers, which I’m not huge on – I prefer games where you get in the mix quickly.

Russell Phillips
    Participant

I’ve not played the Battlefront game, but what I’ve seen of it didn’t appeal. The GDW one looks like it’s more to my taste.

Military history author

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah games that have special characters and superpowers (or what amounts to that) turn me way off. When you rely for victory on having some Super Kill-Guy on your side who can draw an I Automatically Win card, it kind of goes downhill fast. As far as I go is Epic and 40K but I don’t use any of the characters, just the plain troops.

Russell Phillips
    Participant

The modern Team Yankee seems to have plenty of fans, and if they enjoy it then more power to them. But I think I’m too old school for it to appeal to me 🙂

Military history author

JozisTinMan
    Participant

Go for it!  I think 3mm is the best way to get realistic looking ranges and unit spacing on a reasonably sized table.  And given he troop densities, a slugfest is probably appropriate.  Share pictures as you go!

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

The 2 games have almost diametrically opposite design intents.  The boardgames was indeed designed as a very basic way to get people to not only play cold-war-gone-hot games but to also think about the consequences of such actions should the politics break down.  Hence the high casualty rates, intended to be horrific on purpose to display the savagery of modern weapons.  The BF version is designed to be a tournament game with points buy system that can be min/maxed and loopholed, but still be “fair and balanced”.  I’ve never heard of war being such, but horses for courses…

I think doing it in 3mm is a great idea.  Should be smipler than something like FFT3 and give a bloodier result.

Hop to it dude, let us know how it goes!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

Absolutely no judgment involved, naturally! People who like that sort of thing find it to be the sort of thing they like, and I’m not meaning to talk it down. But yeah, my formative gaming years were the 1980s, and I have a somewhat more gritty view of warfare generally, so I’m more attracted to the former rather than the latter. I’m a casual and not a tournament player, and I like historical gaming without slogans or getting too “into it.” So it’s a good match for me.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I like the idea, can’t wait to see it in action

My one suggestion would be to take a page from Ogre and reduce the factors, to speed up and simplify the game.

So an M1 would be 4-5-5-4 while a T-72 would be 5-4-3-3. Less granular, but faster.

Mr. Average
    Participant

My first base labels.

I’m currently reclaiming miniatures from earlier failed projects for reuse.

Just Jack
    Participant

This is fascinating, but please forgive my ignorance regarding Ogre.  The base labels look fantastic, but what do they mean?

V/R,

Jack

Mr. Average
    Participant

The numbers are cribbed from Team Yankee. On the left side, too to bottom, they are Attack Strength, Range and Defense Strength. On the right is Movement. The shaded box represents Missiles (TOWs, Saggers, etc.). Shaded movement means (I think I remember rightly) that the unit can’t move and fire missiles at the same time.

Also, Thaddeus, I’m not sure I see how halving all the numbers helps? The CRT is ratio based so it’ll be the same regardless, and eliminate borderline cases because it has a 2:3 and 4:3 line, so it’ll skew results. I’m interested to know what benefits you’ve had from it in terms of game speed.

Just Jack
    Participant

Thank you, Sir, now I get it!

V/R,
    Jack

Just that there are fewer and smaller numbers to deal with. Sure, you lose a little granularity,  but if you play with younger gamers who are not used to CRTs, like I do, having no number higher than a six helps with the math.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I might consider halving attack and defense but I’d leave movement and range alone, since that would compromise the game scale. But really overall I’m going to be playing this solo I predict so I’m not too worried about speed – I’m pretty good with fractions, being steeped in the Imperial System.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m staging my own personal REFORGER this afternoon.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Opposing forces – both potential allies and potential enemies.  Hardline and Reformist factions in the collapsing post-Soviet state of Zaftra.  The Blue force (Republic of Zaftra) is appealing to NATO for assistance in defending its nascent democracy; the Red force (Democratic People’s Republic of Zaftra) is clinging to power in a death grip that isn’t even being loosened by the collapsing Soviet Union.

Mr. Average
    Participant

After a reminder from a friend that I left out an “R” in USAREUR, it occurred to me that, with a game set in Zaftra being a NATO operation, the A ericans et al would probably be deployed as part of ZFOR, not directly from USAREUR or SHAPE. So off come the labels, new ones made… I’m so hard to satisfy. But it also gave me the time to consider painting some M60s I found as part of a Turkish contingent contributing to ZFOR.

It also made me think: in a confused, multinational End-Of-Cold-War battle environment, an interesting idea (one I’ve been tossing around for a long time) is that the non-native powers involved might not be predictable. NATO and Russia (or the Soviet, if I go that route) might have priorities that change during the game.

At the moment I’m not sure how to manage that in a game like this, but my mind’s eye goes to those little decodes you could find in cereal boxes when you were a kid, where a slip of colored acetate would reveal a secret message. If there were a way to make two messages on a single card, such that you could capture and potentially decode your enemy’s next order, but not necessarily with certainty, it would make a very interesting meta-game.

For example, say NATO and the Reformists decode with blue, while the Hardliners and the Soviet decode with red. Get the card first by reaching an objective and you get to decode it, along with a level of confidence as to how accurately it reflects what the other side would read. Or, alternatively, you may only be able to reveal SOME words in his orders and would have to guess at the remainder. Then you pass the card to your opponent and he decodes it for his next objective: do you know his next orders or not?

I have zero idea if it would work, just a thought.

ian pillay
    Participant

Wow they are fantastic!

Tally-Ho!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Kind of you to say!  These are my efforts for the evening – United States ZFOR troops including infantry.  As you can see, camouflage works.  For better or worse.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m also informed by the same friend that the country should be called “Zavtra.” Which it now is. Fortunately, I don’t have to redo any base labels this time.

Thomaston
    Participant

That looks really good, maybe camo works too well.
    Why did you do labels differently for infantrya nd tanks?

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Mr. Average
    Participant

In perspective and under decent lighting the tanks and infantry show up all right. But the main protagonists, the Zavtrans, get bright colors for easy recognition. As for the infantry labels, I’m not quite sure why I do it that way. Visual appeal I guess – there’s no mistaking infantry for tanks and vice versa.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

This project is looking pretty good.

I don’t know if you ever played the ARMA series of video games, but one of them take place in a collapsing Soviet republic (ARMA II) and this sort of story line opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities for complex battles as well as special operations skirmishes.  I’m sure there’d be partisans and paramilitary units on both sides, as well as likely political and/or ethnic frictions among civilian neighbors that could get out of hand and provide tons of gaming opportunities.  (some quite horrific I’m sure)

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah the point system specified in the base Team Yankee game is limited to the base components, which is enough to play quite a bit, and also to pit the Zavtran factions against each other. Thereafter I imagine I’ll work the scenarios up on the fly, and with a NATO/Russian intervention as a framework, an asymmetric setup will probably be the order of the day anyhow. With up to four or more players, if I end up rolling it out at the club, my method for balance would be to build forces and then randomize who you get to play. Maybe your force, maybe someone else’s!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.