Home Forums Terrain and Scenery 3mm terrain bases

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I have a stack of 2mm and 3mm buildings now that need basing.

I want to make them into little hamlets and such, but I am struggling to decide how big to make the terrain bases and whether to do a lot of small pieces or a few larger ones.

Any teeny-tiny-scale gamers who can pitch in with how they did theirs?

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Mr. Average
    Participant

I generally make roads 3/4″ or 1″ wide, which although not really “to scale,” makes them navigable by units on a 5/8″ wide base.  Beyond that, I prefer to make my bases little town and village built-up-areas.  A main road, with buildings clustered near it, and wide back yards delineated by a line of glue and some coarse turf as hedges.  A 4″ hex makes a very convincing village.  I’m by no means super skilled in this area, though – I’d look at Mike’s work and just scale it down somewhat.

Mike
    Keymaster

Clearly there is no right or wrong way but before deciding on base dimensions there is a whole other quandary that would require my sorting first, were I to do it…

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

What would that be mate?

Nordic Weasel Games

Here’s one way I have done it: ground cloths painted as a city, with small building bases, 40mm x 40mm max. They can be removed at will to accomodate unit bases.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mike
    Keymaster

What would that be mate?

Base thickness.
    With say 28mm figures a 2mm MDF base does not make an unbased building look too short.
    However I find that a 6mm figure when on a 2mm thick base rises the figure off the gaming surface enough (2 feet in ‘real’ terms) that a normal building looks short, as the now 8mm tall figure is bigger than any doorway.
    I can only assume that a 2mm figure on a 2mm base would make a 2mm building now appear massively undersized.

So, do you base your buildings to raise them up to the same starting level as the feet of your troops?
    If so, do you then put these based buildings onto the bigger scenic town bases so that when a base of troops is put on the bigger scenic base it is still on the same level as the based buildings…

Also…
    When making ANSHAN I wanted it to blend with the tabletop which meant having a thin a big scenic base as possible.
    So I used steel sheets, they are thin, so they are almost flush with the tabletop, they also dont warp and have a bit of heft so they don’t slide around much.

Very thin plasticard or even artists canvas works, too.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Good stuff to think about.

Thank you for the advice gang 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

MartinR
    Participant

I have done a few 2mm buildings as village complexes, but generally I do them fairly small (30×30 or similar) and they get deployed on some sort of ‘built up area’ base so I can move the individual buildings around to accommodate units.

The buildings themselves go on the same artists mount board as the figures, flocked as appropriate and edged in black.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Usagitsuki
    Participant

I’ve not done any yet for 6mm WW2, but the plan is to do multiples of 75mm squares. These are for Rommel however, so the area of any town will be clearly delineated by the grid. What it means is that a square in Rommel can be filled with buildings, but if the town is occupied, some bases can be removed so the figures can go in the square.

For 6mm Samurai, I’ve done 10cm square bases to fit a 10cm grid for games. These will be essentially impassable terrain so there’s no need to have smaller bases. This has meant that more detail can be put into the bases.

So, the short answer is that it depends on your rules and the type of game(s) you’re doing. Larger bases will likely be more aesthetically pleasing, smaller bases will have greater utility. A mix of both might be the best approach.

cmnash
    Participant

Hi Ivan, If you go to this post:

https://warsofturkmenistania.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/settlements.html

you’ll see my 2mm buildings, next to some 3mm infantry. The buildings are Brigade Models and are on a 2mm mdf circle; they’re a WIP and the green bits are simply scouring pad fragments

Colin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.