Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi 40k Stuff

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

So I have been on a bit of a 40k streak for a while and thought I would start a thread for the work I have been doing. First up a scratchbuilt Leman Russ Eradicator. It is scratchbuilt from various bits of rubbish  (except for the weapons and the locker/box which are GW, and the fuel barrel which was liberated from a toy set). I have included pics of a GW Leman Russ Vanquisher for comparison.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Paul
    Participant

And buildings. The massive one is not yet complete (and yes, that is a 28mm figure standing next to it).

Mike
    Keymaster

The Emperor approves of your skills.

willz
    Participant

Excellent modelling Paul, may the “Emperors light” always shine on you.

Paul
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am going to paint the tank grey to match my Mordian Iron Guard. I only have 26 Mordian figures, so plan on turning them into a viable army by tooling them up with plenty of tanks and APCs (and scratchbuilding will allow me to do that without having to sell a kidney).

The tank was surprisingly quick to make: 4 nights of work, so I am hoping to make another one before we go away for our Christmas holiday.

willz
    Participant

Don’t sleep Paul, drink lots of coffee and make 4 more.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Those buildings are getting mighty impressive!

What is the Emperor’s Will?
    That we fight and die!

What is death?
    It is our duty!

What is our duty?
    To do the Emperor’s Will!

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Paul
    Participant

Another Leman Russ done. Next… a Baneblade (super heavy tank) or a Basilisk (self-propelled artillery), can’t decide which.

I should start painting at some stage but I am really enjoying building.

Paul
    Participant

I have begun work on a scratchbuilt Baneblade. This is going to be a commisariat tank (so that it will fit in with any of my Imperial Guard forces), so paint scheme will be black, red and gold. Still a lot of work to do before I reach the painting stage, but I am happy with the basic construction so far.

Mike
    Keymaster

They are very impressive dude.

Paul
    Participant

So I got back from Christmas holiday yesterday. Have a few days before I need to go back to work, so I spent a few hours late last night and in the early hours of this morning working on my Baneblade  I built and fitted the rear hull, the turret, and did a little bit of detailing (rivets 😭)

The plan for tonight is to start working on the tracks.

Mike
    Keymaster

Do you plan it out before hand, or just cut the shapes as you go?

Paul
    Participant

I am building from a template that is meant to be used to assemble the model from cardstock. I am using both cardstock and this weird vinyl stuff that I found. I just need to adapt the templates to account for the thickness of the vinyl. I am following the template for the basic shape and adding my own ideas for the details, as well as bits from other paper templates.

Paul
    Participant

Track done on one side:

Paul
    Participant

And did a bit of detailing here and there.

Paul
    Participant

Apologies for the multiple posts, it hangs when I try put 3 or more pics in a post.

An overview of the progress so far:

Paul
    Participant

Tracks done. I have now started on weapons and detailing the front of the tank. The end is in sight.

On the counter below the tank you can see my next project. I will be making 4 or 5 taxis (they are a paper template based on the Metrokab from Bladerunner). These will just be for scatter terrain because I always wonder where the civilian vehicles have all disappeared to when fighting it out on the tabletop.

Paul
    Participant

I have completed all the secondary weapons  (scratchbuilt lascannons on hex turrets and bolters from the bits box on the sponsons- difficult to see here because they are already sprayed black). Now it is just detailing and the main gun to be done. Thankfully I have been doing rivets as I went, though.

Paul
    Participant

I took a bit of a break from the Baneblade to start working on a taxi. I want to be able to put roads full of civilian vehicles for playing Necromunda.

Noel
    Participant

Wow.

Mike
    Keymaster

I am not sure if the colours on that taxi are deliberate or a happy accident but that yellow and red looks very cool.

Paul
    Participant

No Mike, that is pure coincidence. This will be painted yellow with a black and white chequer-board pattern along the sides. I was hoping to make 4 or 5 taxis, but they are a lot of work for such small pieces, so I’ll have to see if I feel up to doing so many.

Paul
    Participant

So after a bit of a break I have gone back to the Baneblade. I’ve built the main gun and did a lot of detailing on the rear and sides of the turret (and of course forgot to take a photograph of those details). I am pondering what to put on the large open area on the top of the turret. I am thinking maybe some pulpit type thing with a book on. Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

OldBen1
    Participant

That’s incredible!  I wish I had the skill for all that work.  Your vehicles are inspired.

Paul
    Participant

Thanks OldBen1, but it is really not as hard as it looks; all it takes is a good template, the right materials and tools, and a bit of patience.

I am hoping to finish off the Baneblade tonight or tomorrow, so might start slapping paint onto these models this week.

Paul
    Participant

As far as i can see, the detailing is now sufficient, so this morning I took this beast outside, put it on the wheelie bin (my spraying station) and hit it with the black. Off to a kids birthday party now, so will spray the underside later this afternoom and start painting tonight.

Paul
    Participant

So the painting has started.  Stayed up late on Saturday night painting. I HATE painting vehicles, so I’m going to leave this aside for a while and work on scratchbuilding an Aquila Lander. I don’t need one, but it will be fun to build. Expect progress pics of the Lander in the next few days.

Paul
    Participant

WIP: Aquila Lander.

Paul
    Participant

Further progress on an Aquila Lander.

Mike
    Keymaster

Crikey. Hardcore sir. Hardcore.

Paul
    Participant

So I haven’t been hanging around much, but I have been hobbying on. Thought I should post some pics of what I have been up to on the 40k front. First up, I finished painting my Baneblade and both Leman Russes.

Paul
    Participant

I have also finished building a recovery and resupply vehicle based on the Basilisk chassis…

… and I am nearly done building an ork halftrack.

Planning on going back to the Aquila Lander sometime.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Wow amazing work.

Mike
    Keymaster

It is, isn’t it.
    Bonkers.

Paul
    Participant

Thanks guys.

Mike, my wife also says I am mad.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.