Home Forums Horse and Musket American Civil War 54mm soft plastic ACW figures

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TwoGunBob
    Participant

A project that started awhile but got shelved to get Dragon Rampant ready for conventions in the area. Found some Armies in Plastic Zouaves on clearance at a local shop and went ahead and picked them up, primed them, forgot about them, remembered them, paited them, dipped them, and viola. Planning out a game of All the King’s Men ACW using the Marx recasts AiP and others. This was my first foray into using the ‘dip’ so they came out more toy soldier-like than I planned but I do kind of like the look after all.

And the work continues with some base coating that has progressed a little but since the pic was taken.

Having fun with them and even if 54mm is a bit off generally I’ve enjoyed quite a few games of All the King’s Men to a point that I was ready to start my own collection.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by TwoGunBob.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by TwoGunBob.

Hmmm… I’ll be watching. I’ve been thinking about TMWWBK with 54s using Brits and Zulus. Started painting them but haven’t progressed as far as you have.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

TwoGunBob
    Participant

I’ll keep updating then, AoS.  The 54’s are different, I mean the painting is just different. Those barely base coated big men have met the brown gravy last night. The ‘dip’ is a new technique for me but I kind of like the toy solider look it gives the 54mm. Have to hit them with some matte spray and highlights but they are nearing completion.

Base them up, hit them with the matte spray, some highlights and then I add the flag to the ensign. Only like 50 more groups to go!

vtsaogames
    Participant

On my 1/72 plastics, I found the dip (Minwax stain and varnish) keeps the paint from flaking off. I’ve lost the tail of a horse, but no paint.

This too shall pass

TwoGunBob
    Participant

Alright, five days of steady rain has stalled sealing the current batch of 28 figures and prevented the priming of any more for the time being. Patiently awaiting the matte spray and highlighting but the ACW project is still moving ahead with a full head of steam.

I do like the Minwax on these figures for the protection it provides as vtsaogames mentioned. After a matte seal and highlighting the figures do come together nicely but of course I didn’t take any pictures of the unit I finished to completion. Just going to keep rolling working on caissons and cannons until the weather clears.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Your figures are looking great. Which Minwax shade do you use? And forgive my inexperience, but do you literally dunk them in a tin of the stuff (holding them by their base, I’d assume), and that’s that?

TwoGunBob
    Participant

I use Minwax Polyshades stain and polyurethane, Antique Walnut. A friend suggested it for the 54’s although we call it the dip I use a 1″ flat brush to apply it and clean it with odorless thinner (Bob Ross). Dipping is a little too messy and is just the reverse as I dip the figure and then use the 1″ brush to take the excess back into the can.

After you hit the figures with a matte seal and highlight them one last time they’re good to go. The Minwax seals them up and prevents the flaking. Just wouldn’t suggesting bending the rifles 180 degrees. Seriously, it’s basecoat neatly, dip, matte spray, highlight and final clean up.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

That’s very helpful, Bob, thank you! Might have to try that one of these days…

vtsaogames
    Participant

Use a cheap brush. Minwax eats brushes.

This too shall pass

TwoGunBob
    Participant

Okay, took the finished unit out for pics just cause. 1st Michigan Infantry for All the King’s Men. Stopped raining for the drive to work but supposed to start pouring by the time I get off so work is still cannons for the foreseeable future.

TwoGunBob
    Participant

Okay, I switched over to start work on some of the BMC figures you find at Hobby Lobby. We’ll see if the finished results change my mind but these figures are very flat and a little more cartoonish in sculpting style.

More units to paint, artillery crew and Brendan’s sharpshooters around the corner to be started.

TwoGunBob
    Participant

More works in progress, although maybe I’ll remember to take pictures when I actually finish for a change.

Caissons, horse artillery carriage, sharpshooters… Just keep plodding along on the project and having fun with it. Once it dries out I can hit them with the matte spray and start the highlights up.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by TwoGunBob.

Wow! You’re moving along quickly with this project. I agree, the BMC figures aren’t much to look at. But they are dirt cheap.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

TwoGunBob
    Participant

Finished the first element for Berdan’s Sharpshooters over the weekend. Working on finishing those BMC figures and getting leery of mixing them in with the Accurate and Marx figures. Figure there will be so many figures on the table, who will notice right?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.