Home Forums General Tabletop RPG’s 5th ed and original modules.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Striker
    Participant

This Friday we jump back in time to the B1/B2 module series of Keep on the Borderlands and Caves of Chaos.  There is a new version from Goodman Games with lots of history and the original modules, but also a version set up for 5th ed.  Has anyone run some of the original modules using the 5e rules?  I know the monsters stats will change but I’m thinking that the base of the module (layout, maps, traps, etc) should all work, or am I wrong?  Some of those original modules feel more “adventury” than the new offerings from WotC.  Thoughts?

James Rivera
    Participant

Absolutely!  I’ve run 2nd & 3rd edition adventures as well as some pathfinder adventures and they’ve all worked great.  Just replace the old stats with new ones when available and when not, just find a close approximation/challenge rating and then use their 5E stats while keeping the original descriptions.  Also, with 1st edition in particular, you might need to reduce the number of enemies here and there, but that also depends on your party’s combat ability, so you might have to find the right balance for your group.  Over-all I’ve found the 3rd edition and Pathfinder CRs the most helpful for converting to 5E and would recommend them the try first.  And as you can probably tell, I’m in complete agreement that the current official 5E adventures are lacking, but we have utterly enjoyed 5E itself.  Definitely give some older adventures a try and then let us know how it went.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by James Rivera.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by James Rivera.
    Striker
    Participant

Thanks for the info.  They’re still slugging their way through the reworked B1/B2 from Goodman Games and I’ve been picking up some old modules from ebay.  The players are all very experienced so having a bunch of enemies isn’t so bad for them, it keeps it interesting.

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

I’ve pseudo played the GG versions.  We played online PbP and the GM placed a larger story around the adventure, but the cave delves and whatnot seemed pretty smooth for 5e.

I’ve been in a Pathfinder group for quite a while (we only play 6-8 times a year) and it seems to me that most of the D*D and Pathfinder modules are sort of railroady.  Even Kingmaker.  They just don’t feel as free wheeling as some of the older stuff.  That said, a LOT of the older stuff was deliberately “on a track”, but there was also a lot of sandbox modules out there.  …and to be further honest, I am not a fan of either 5e or Pathfinder, as I feel both are quite restrictive and encourage “rules lawyering” from players.  This can be especially bad when a written adventure has special rules or exceptions that deviate from the rulebook norm.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Striker
    Participant

I agree with the railroadiness of modules, we played Strahd and Barrier Peaks and both felt like connect-the-dots-games.  I’m tying the modules I’ve picked up into my own campaign but I like to run a pretty open world, but I think the party is used to the directed nature of printed materials.  We’re set in Greyhawk after the wars so I’ll have them popping all over and hopefully breaking up any monotony that comes along.  I like 5E, not as much as 2E, and it feels more free-form regarding modifiers and coming up with target numbers on the fly.  Half the group, myself included, started with the old box sets and the rest are very good at remembering rules (which helps me) so we could have pretty classic arguments but I think the group, again including me, have matured to the point where we’re “going with the story” and not worried about modifiers and such to a point where we slow down discussing every rule.  I’ve been running convention minis games and that’s helped me with running the games and avoiding a lot of book checking.  They’re about 1/2 through the caves and after Quesqueton they’ll be hitting badlands and running into some homemade encounters.  These won’t be “by the book” so some magic effects are going to be happening “you don’t know how”.   We did have some good laughs about system shock/resurrection and the combat mods we used to have in olden times.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.