Home Forums Terrain and Scenery 6mm Italian Wars Village

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Rummaging in the attic recently I came across some Heroics and Ros 6mm late 15<sup>th</sup>/early 16<sup>th</sup> Century Italian Wars Gendarmes. I vaguely remembered a plan some (30?) years ago to fight the Italian Wars in 6mm. Why exactly it stalled at buying and undercoating 70 6mm gendarmes remains a mystery. I did go on to attempt the period in 15mm with Jacobite Miniatures figures but that too stalled and eventually I settled on a long term 25/28mm attempt which was realised and I still have the armies. Remarriage and late arriving children have curtailed the space and time available for such large scale events however so finding the 6mm figures sparked a cunning plan. Some purchases from H&R (more to come!) sort of proved the concept but I have been dithering about rules. My 28s are configured for Impetus but for a variety of reasons I decided against following that route for the 6mm. So while I tinker with my own rule ideas and keep painting. I thought about keeping my enthusiasm going with a bit of terrain building.

I wanted an Italian village so I dug out the Slaters Plastikard, mdf and glue and bodged this together.Italian Village16

Occupying villages doesn’t seem to have been a popular tactic, so I allowed space for minimal occupation (principally by arquebus or crossbow type bases rather than pike or horse) but concentrated on trying to give a feel for the period and location. It’s an impressionist rather than a realist representation.

Italian Village pieces

The carcase of the buildings is a regular stone course embossed card and the roofs are palin plastic sheet with Milliput rolled on and then roughly sculpted with a curved ended shaper. The village base if 2mm mdf covered with a irregular stone course plastikard and the base shapes of the building cut out.

Italian village half way

The whole was undercoated black and then progressively lighter highlights of dark sand through bone applied on the building.

Italian village paving finishing

The paving stones were flooded with a dark brown and again highlighted and then grubby washed to tone them down. pva glue was applied in places and flock scatter applied for weeds in the bases of buildings. There is a fountain too made from a 5p piece, a drawing pin and some Milliput to finish it off. (odd the water looks a lot bluer here than it does in life – definitely grey in reality).Italian village finish

A few more pics here:
    Italian wars village

Mike
    Keymaster

That’s pretty nifty, I may well have missed it, but, are the buildings glued down?

Victoria Dickson
    Participant
    Steve Johnson
    Participant

Very nice Guy and I’m in the process of something similar, using Leven Miniatures buildings for my 10mm armies. Hope to have something to get going with for a planned game this weekend, if all goes to plan…

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Thanks all.

Yes Mike, I glued the building down eventually. I was in two minds to start with but decided they’d only fall over all the time in a game otherwise. I can always knock up some more – they are dead simple (the way I do them anyway!). The fountain is currently loose.

I like the Leven buildings – I thought they were 6mm? Or are you using a scale/size down from the figures? Good idea if so – seems to work quite well normally.

Look forward to seeing some pics Steve.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Yep, they are 6mm buildings Guy, but work well with 10mm. I have 10mm buildings but they always look like single buildings, rather than a large village, or small town. With 6mm you get that village/town effect but on broadly the same footprint as a based 10mm building. I’ve been doing some dry runs tonight which i’m happy with and will keep you posted on progress.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.