Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi 6mm Mass Battles

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

I have a conundrum.

I intend to run a wargaming event at school but require rules that are easy to pick up and require very little book keeping. I have been reading up on sets and have decided it is between Horizon Wars, Dirtside 2, and Laserstorm.

I am shying away from Horizon Wars due to the book keeping involved, even though I absolutely love these rules.

Dirtside seems to have multiple types of dice which may be a challenge to teach in a day.

Laserstorm looks like best right now due to no book keeping and counters. It uses only D6s. How easy are they to get familiar with?

Are there other sets I am forgetting?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Strike Legion Tactical has a basic rule set that, in spite of the TONS of extras in the main rulebook, I found easy to grasp.  However, it may not be for everyone – what kind of age group will you be teaching?

Much as I love Dirtside, it may be a bit complex for beginners, for example.  The confidence and reaction rules are a tad abstract for beginners, and you would want to confine it to tank-on-tank battles for learning games.

Frankly, I wouldn’t shy away from Horizon Wars.  I’ve found it very accessible in spite of the record sheets, and have taught it to people in 15 minutes or less.  On the other hand, how big a battle are you thinking?  That could have an effect as well.

Thuseld
    Participant

They will range between 11 and 14. Some will be amazing, one or two may already play War hammer,  and others will struggle to understand even the basics of games like Snap.

Whirlwind
    Participant

I haven’t played them myself, but weren’t the Command Horizon rules designed for 6mm big Sci fi battles?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Mike
    Keymaster

Is it definitely big battles you want to start with if a fair few will struggle?

Erik Walton
    Participant

I think Laserstorm has promise, however I haven’t played it yet to give you good insight on that one.

I can say that I’ve done a large mech battle using Horizon Wars and that same age group of kids and it went really well. Each kid got a mech and a stat sheet to keep up their damage, and they caught on to the rules really quickly.

If you didn’t want to go with mechs I’m sure you could do the same thing with infantry and vehicles, but maybe give them a group to command and keep track of.

Oh that's my theme music, it's on now!

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’d agree that Horizon Wars would scale well for this. Give each player 5p of units or mecha and a small record card.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’ll mention another advantage of Horizon Wars: it feels competitive at all points. The saving throws feel like you are actively defending against an attack and have a real chance to resist your opponent, whereas other systems feel passive in that an attack happens to you and either succeeds or fails. With modifiers, that can generate situation where an attack “can’t” fail, which is a positive feedback that can encourage a stronger player to pound relentlessly on a weakened one, and make a defender feel overwhelmed and frustrated. For seasoned players that’s just gaming in general and no big deal, but for younger and less experienced players, HW may feel like it gives everyone more of a “fair chance.” It’s a subtle distinction but it’s an important one I think.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

With players that young I wouldn’t try anything too complex or that lasts too long, as their attentions will wander.  A set that has really basic rules, includes saving throws (as mentioned above) to keep both sides involved, a that does not have “reaction fire” as that may create firefight chains that’ll confuse the unindoctrinated.  You could even right a set yourself, with things like all shots hitting on a 4+ (on a d6), 5+ if in cover or target or shooter fast moving… lasers shoot farther than canon but do less damage… infantry save on 5+ and vehicles on 4+ or take damage… etc.  BUT, give each player a unit that is special in some way that could do something non-combat with, like a vehicle that can repair tanks, or an ambulance that heals infantry, or a backhoe to dig trenches, motorcycle to deliver messages, etc, as long as it does something useful.  (I suggest this because in other games I have noticed young ones sometimes don’t really care about the combat, but love to do things to help out.  In one zombie game we had a 11 year old playing a garbage truck, it’s whole job was to go around and pick up dead zombies as quickly as possible.  The more he picked up the more “points” he received, plus it helped clear the table to dead Zeds and allowed us to recycle them back into the game as live ones.  The crew couldn’t be attacked because they smelled like dead zombies… In another game we gave a 10 year old a war correspondent and his camera drone, his whole job was to use his cell phone to take pix of the battle and tell us a report at the end using the pix, BUT he had to move his guy around and try to take the pix from his figures spot.  Oddly enough, it kept this one known embelisher/cheater from trying anything hinky as well as giving us several good laughs during and after the game.  Kept them both occupied AND actually contributed to the games)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mr. Average
    Participant

Super simple game rules – how about Ogre Miniatures? Why didn’t I think of it before?

Northern Monkey
    Participant

GW’s Epic or the fan version of it at least, as

1. its free: http://www.net-armageddon.org/page/rules
    2. its relatively simple
    3. no bookkeeping (although some counters are required)
    4. D6 only
    5. its reasonably fast

if you haven’t played it before, activations are by formation with an IGOUGO sequence(although this can be broken if a player wishes to try to retain initiative), their are very few modifiers to rolls, and if you give each player a formation or two, no one will be waiting forever for their turn

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Thuseld
    Participant

Good points all. More specifics from me then:

I want no book keeping.

I want games to finish in as close to an hour as possible so we can maybe get into a mini campaign over the day.

One type of die, D6 seems easiest.

Non individually based infantry. If they can move a stand of soldiers instead of loads of single ones that is quicker. However, by mass battle I meant more than just a couple if squads if infantry with a tank. I want a few tanks per side and lots of infantry that can move in stands. Mass maybe the wrong word there.

So horizon wars is good for that in terms of size and basing, but there are record sheets. I might be able to just give dry wipe status cards. I will think about that.

Writing my own also seems like an idea.

Northern Monkey
    Participant

Good points all. More specifics from me then: I want no book keeping. I want games to finish in as close to an hour as possible so we can maybe get into a mini campaign over the day. One type of die, D6 seems easiest. Non individually based infantry. If they can move a stand of soldiers instead of loads of single ones that is quicker. However, by mass battle I meant more than just a couple if squads if infantry with a tank. I want a few tanks per side and lots of infantry that can move in stands. Mass maybe the wrong word there. So horizon wars is good for that in terms of size and basing, but there are record sheets. I might be able to just give dry wipe status cards. I will think about that. Writing my own also seems like an idea.

OK, still with Epic and a taking your points into consideration, as mentioned no book keeping required other than temporary counters to reflect suppression, units are removed when damaged, no recording of hits etc(other than Titan sized machines), if the forces are small enough you can play in a hour(once you are more familiar with the rules at least), D6 only. Infantry are based in a  group of (usually) 3-5 minis per base, troops are taken in formations, eg a space marine tactical formation consists of 6 infantry stands and sufficient vehicles to transport them, whilst an imperial guard infantry formation is typically 13 infantry stands, tanks can be taken as detachments of 3 or companies of 12+, so there is nothing to stop you playing smaller games of 6 inf stands + 3 tanks or larger with 40-50 stands/tanks, can you tell i’m a fan yet? To be fair to other systems I haven’t had any call to try them out properly as Epic does everything from platoon upwards reasonably well.

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.