Home Forums Modern 6mm Modern Egyptians

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Spurious
    Participant

Here’s a project I started… I think it must have been early last year. Got distracted by many things , as is the way of wargames, but hey, it’s 6mm so it’s not like I was really wasting fistfuls of cash in doing so (for a change). Manufacturer is Heroics and Ros. And it’s modern as in ultra-modern, not cold war for a radical change on the norm.

I’ve based it on what I could glean from a parade video of Egypt’s 23rd Mechanised division. I liked the idea of all this mixed east&west equipment going on, though sadly getting models for the local-made stuff isn’t yet a thing (that I know of). Also getting hold of the correct APC variant isn’t (wasn’t?) a thing either. Compromises are just the way things go for unusual armies after all, and at least I can even get representative units for a lot of it in 6mm.

I’m likely to be running this as 1:1 (with infantry more like 1:2) so it’s 3 companies of BTR-50 (technically the Czechoslovakian OT-62) mounted infantry each with their supporting platoon of M60A3s, an attached unit of M1A1 Abrams (with no depleted uranium mesh in the armour), air defence via Chaparrels and Shilkas, artillery in D-20 and D-30 howitzers  for artillery support and there’s a Cobra floating around somewhere for gunship fun times. For a cheeky trick in helping organise stuff, each company is marked with red, black or white. On the M60s it’s on the mantlet, on the infantry it’s on one guy’s backpack, and on the rear hull for the APCs. Platoons are also organised by how many blobs of vegetation they have on the base, being 1, 2 or 3, same for infantry and vehicles.

Anyway, I am still in the process of trying to nail down the details better, partly due to losing (misplaced at least, they’re out there somewhere) a bunch of my notes in the time between I started the project and now. There should also be some ATGM infantry on the way, I think with TOWs? And I probably should have removed the big ol’ lamps on the M60s, though I have seen other Egyptian units with them. I think I’d started painting by the time I realised that detail. Hard work this research stuff when you can’t just get a nice manual in English on it eh.

Sabresquadron
    Participant

Always good to see an Ultramodern army put together, and not one of the ‘usual suspects’ either. Nicely done. Have you got any opposition ready?

http://www.sabresquadron.com

kyoteblue
    Participant

Very cool !!!

Iain Fuller
    Participant

Really nice, the H&R M60 is a lovely model.

GHQ do the Egyptian AIFV and Scotia the Fahd APC if you are thinking of expanding this force.

Spurious
    Participant

Have you got any opposition ready?

I’m not actually sorting them for once, current opposition though is Israelis. Though Egypt and Israel are pretty much as far from war as they ever have been, to the point of significant military cooperation in some areas, we were going to use the excuse of either training exercises or everyone declares war on Israel (and vice versa, to avoid bias) because of reasons.

Really though my opponent just really likes the look of Merkava IVs and I wanted to use the most interesting local opposition with a chance of having a technologically comparable force.

GHQ do the Egyptian AIFV and Scotia the Fahd APC

That’s good to know, though I think the main thing I’d need to track down at this point is some appropriate trucks for all the towed equipment and the MRLs.

Just Jack
    Participant

Those look fantastic, I’ve always been a fan of your modern stuff (6mm and larger).

Do you have the direct link to this blog post?  I’m sure I’m being an idiot, but I can’t find this force on your blog (I found WIP pics, but not the completed pics).

V/R,
    Jack

Spurious
    Participant

Do you have the direct link to this blog post? I’m sure I’m being an idiot, but I can’t find this force on your blog (I found WIP pics, but not the completed pics).

I’ve not actually put  anything up on the blog yet, tend to do that on weekends. Figured since I’d just finished doing a whole bunch of basing and was directly pointing that at some individuals elsewhere I might as well do a complete post.

I’ll get a post up with some additional notes (I think I’ve found that GHQ do the truck I need, though not the MRL version), army list and maybe some more detail pics at some point in the near future. I want to collect what I’ve done for research together and post that up at some point. Though that means a lot of taking pics of youtube vids and news articles. Probably worth it to illustrate just how awkward trying to put together an unusual force can still be even in the age of the internet.

Just Jack
    Participant

“I’ve not actually put  anything up on the blog yet…”
    Excellent, I don’t feel quite as dumb then! 😉  I was looking everywhere.

“Probably worth it to illustrate just how awkward trying to put together an unusual force can still be even in the age of the internet.”
    You’re a much better gamer than I; I’m more of a ‘close enough for me’ type of guy 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Mike
    Keymaster

+1

Spurious
    Participant

Small update (still not put together a blog entry), but I’ve started to build terrain for the project because I realised we have nothing suitable and without a decent amount of cover my everything will be unfairly shredded. And I’ve got (barring problems) one week to do it. Eek.

After spending some time looking at maps and photos I’ve gone with the close approximation thingy and am throwing together some farms to stick on the table. Building materials is a bit of pink insulation foam, carved into shape with a knife, bit of appropriately textured plasticard for metal roofing and cardboard for walls, with a layer of acrylic texture paste stuck on to seal, reinforce and give a bit of texture.

The rest of the detail will be in the form of some ground texture, a bit of tufts and flock for crops (need to get some better images first, got the typical layout of fields from google earth at least). That will keep everything usable and look decent enough. If I have time I might throw together some roads, since that’s really easy.

Vehicles and giant spider for scale purposes only at this point.

Iain Fuller
    Participant

I’m really digging those buildings Spurious. 

William Jones
    Participant

Outstanding.  6mm is more and more impressive to me the more I look at that scale.

Spurious
    Participant

Well I got the buildings done. They’re not great but they’ll do. Really need to sort a boatload of trees for orchards, and maybe some roads. In a day or so. It’s possible. Difficult, but possible. And I am mildly annoyed I managed to make the bases clash, but then that’s the hazard of such a spaced-out in time project, the bases all started out with desert as the theme, then I got to the houses and picking something more interesting to fight over was the thing. Plus I could do with double the amount of buildings and the like. Ack, time constraints, better to have a bit of something complete than a lot of incomplete I’d say.

Just Jack
    Participant

Man, those look great, and now I know what to do with a bunch of 6mm buildings I have upstairs 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Spurious
    Participant

Well, I got a game with them, though I can’t give much of a battle report because my brain was leaking out of my ears for half of it due to the club’s heating system settings having two settings; ‘OFF’ and ‘Nice desert battle you’re having there, let me help with the simulation’. Didn’t manage to make the orchards because I couldn’t find stuff to mount things on, so improvised with other terrain bits.

Some good tactical lessons were learned though on both sides.

First was try not to think of the Airwolf theme every time you look at a helicopter, it gets really distracting.

Second is make sure that you don’t lose 2000 points of Apaches to 100 points of Shilkas because you can just hang back out of range.

Also 6 M1A1s is not a good trade for 1 Merkava 4.

Infantry really needs numbers, supporting fire, cover and preferably any other advantage you can get to successfully assault other infantry holding a town. However if your APCs are largely invulnerable to said town-holding-infantry’s RPGs, then you might be able to out-attrition them slowly.

M60A3s CAN kill Merkava 4s… if you somehow get a lucky flank shot at close range. Don’t even try from the front.

Artillery can and will both frustrate you and be your saviour.

And don’t forget half your AA units, you can’t rely on your opponent flying bother his very expensive helicopters into the very same convenient spot in range of your AA and not just hanging back using the full range of the missiles.

Mike
    Keymaster

Ha. A night to remember though!

Iain Fuller
    Participant

Nice looking game, what rules?

Spurious
    Participant

what rules?

A Fistful of TOWs v3

Ha. A night to remember though!

What bits of it I can remember, yes.

Iain Fuller
    Participant

I thought they might be – use them myself and really like them.

William Jones
    Participant

They look great!  Fortunately they are in little lead Valhalla, and can do better in the future.

Really lovely collection.  I am a tad envious, but this is OK because I have shades.    Definitely like the round bases too.  Good job.  Pondering something alternative history along these lines in the new year.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by William Jones.
    Spurious
    Participant

Trying out a different camera from the usual, took a few pics of the Egyptians as well as my other 6mm forces. So now you can see all my errors and laziness in better detail But yeah, they look way less yellow in reality and the camera catches it nicely.

Anyway, there’s a bunch more pics on my blog (link below), didn’t post it all here cos a lot of it is my Czechoslovakians and West Germans. Still need to get around to buying extra tanks though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.