Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy 6mm Scale Fantasy Regiments

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We had some talk here about Fantasy Regiments, or at least One Page Rules, which although partly behind a Patreon paywall, still are pretty appealing. So being the nutcase that I am I’m giving it a shot at 6mm scale with conversions from inches to centimeters (as a builder I dislike the metric system, but what can you do?) Frankly, the new Microworld 3mm line is so visually pleasing for Warmaster, and so totally in the scale of that game’s intent, that I want to do something different with my 6mm fantasy armies now. I read and reread my old WFB Rules, compared with other systems, and with One Page Rules, and the amount of grit seems very appealing.

So I got some bases cut by Litko, and am giving it a shot. The bases seem ever so slightly big but they’re 10mm to a side which makes them modular with a load of other systems, likewise the cavalry base is 10x20mm. So I feel like I can live with it. And when they’re all set up with basing material and such I have a feeling they’ll look much better.

These are Undead from my “Fallen Empire” forces. Each base has a little 1/8” drill hole in it where I’m seating a 1/16” thick ND magnet. This lets them attach to a unit base made of steel. It also means they can attach nicely to the head of a roofing nail for painting without glue, since the pull force of a magnet that size is about a half pound, so quite strong.

Its a busy summer coming up, which I guess is lucky for me under the circs, but it’s nice to have a project like this on hand which didn’t require a ton of mobilizing to start – just minis I had on hand and $12 in laser cut bases and a slight change in perspective. We’ll see!

Participant

We had some talk here about Fantasy Regiments, or at least One Page Rules, which although partly behind a Patreon paywall, still are pretty appealing.

– I’ve just cancelled my Patreon subscription, mainly because the full rule books didn’t add a huge amount and the rules for multi basing / small scale amount to 3/4 of a page and  were nothing that you could have worked out yourself. In addition to this the full rules are now / will be available to purchase and download from Wargames vault. Having said this I really do like the rules, although they aren’t one page anymore. They give good games with the right amount of crunch.

As to your project- that’s ace! Mass battles with single figure removal. Not thought of that for 6mm! I’ve seen the 9th Age in 10mm which does look appealing, following a similar concept. Looking forward to seeing this project unfold.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Yes, I saw that – I’m glad to know I’m not missing much with the “full” OPR rulebook.  Right now I think I have a pretty square setup for AoF: Regiments.  I was noodling with Warhammer Fantasy Battles – third edition, of course – and have a bit of a functional dilemma on hand now:

Here, we see some Skeleton Warriors, happily based up in their ranks for combat, with a galvanized steel sheet underneath  The cavalry has an adhesive rubber magnet underneath, the infantry each have a little neodymium pellet in the center of the base.  All is well, and my Ray Harryhausen skeletons are on the march.  The sheet magnet is a bit weak, but it stays together.  The ND magnets, though, have a nice strong grip, and hold their base really cleanly.

However, when off the bases for special formations like wedges, single file, etc., the following happens:

It had literally not occurred to me that the magnets in the infantry bases would, in the absence of a ferrous conductor, repel each other, but the above is about as close as they can get to each other before they push apart.  It’s quite fascinating, really!  Physics in action!

For AoF:R, this is a nonissue, since units hold formation pretty consistently.  For WHFB:3e, however, it presents a genuine challenge: How do you set up a unit in a special formation if they MUST be based to hold any formation at all?  It’s a real head-scratcher.

I’m reluctant to give in on the ND magnets – they hold so well that they make the set extremely flexible.  I could, for example, base these guys on 20×40 bases with essentially no change and play Warmaster, or I could play Kings of War or Rally Round the King or WHFB, all simply by varying the size of the movement tray. Perhaps, therein lies the answer: different bases for different uses.

Originally I was going to flock my bases with primer and textured paint, but that will almost certainly be too much for the sheet magnets to grip through.  On the other hand, single file bases are likely to be an issue to find, because of the special size.  Nothing is insoluble though – it’s all just a little puzzle to think about.

Participant

Is it possible to make specific special shaped movement trays? Or have some kind of status counter? Not as nice but practical.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

I’m thinking of it. A possibility is to use adhesive backed iron-impregnated vinyl sheet, and custom cut my desired formations. I do not know if the sheet would have enough ability to distort the magnetic field on the ND magnets and make them seat next to each other without jumping, but it is an interesting idea I might try. I don’t want to get into cutting my own steel sheet, though, that much I know. I’ve tried that, have the scars to prove it. Mr. Average isn’t going through THAT again.

The steel bases I have now, however, cover what I need for AoF:R, though. So I’m okay for now. I’m poring over the army lists and trying to figure out what all these creatures are supposed to be, and what size to make them. I’m getting a few Reaper blisters at 28mm scale to make titanic 6mm scale units. Not all the forces are familiar to me though, and they don’t clearly call out what’s a regular unit, what’s cavalry, etc., so you have to use some judgment.

What size magnet do you use?
    I use 2-3mm, 0.5mm thick ND magnets and they hold minis pretty well and I can place them closer than in your pic. Also try putting them on the actual gaming surface, the flock/scatter texture will provide some resistance. The thing that will really irritate you once you got them standing base to base is when you pick one up it’ll the adjacent minis will be snapped up as well. I sugest going to the weakest magnet you can get away with.

Participant

I ordered a pack of sheet magnets to see if I get better results.  I might save the ND magnets for my 6mm skirmish bases instead, where formation is farther apart so the repelling isn’t an issue.  I’m too keen to get these guys marching in line.

I did do a little math though, and with a straight conversion from inches to cm, a 3’x3′ play area will be the equivalent of a 7′-6″ square playing field.  Aces.

I did a simlar calculation yesterday, a 6’x 4′ table fits in a A4 sheet at 3mm 😀

If you’re going for sheet magnet, why not base the minis on the sheet itself?

Participant

I did a simlar calculation yesterday, a 6’x 4′ table fits in a A4 sheet at 3mm 😀 If you’re going for sheet magnet, why not base the minis on the sheet itself?

Too flexible.  Unfortunately.  I also considered reversing things and making the unit base the magnet and the bases steel, but the numbers didn’t work, and I didn’t want to get a bazillion little pieces of sharp metal around – I know myself and they’ll end up slicing my hands up.

Participant

Sheet magnets seem so far to be the solution.  They actually have a very small amount of magnetism along the edges that allows them to attract if they’re oriented the same way, making the special formations actually easier.  I will send some pictures once I have some examples.

Participant

I think I’m happy with this.

Looks like they’re based. It’s final then?

Participant

Yep. Until I think of something much better which I’m sure I eventually will. But that’s okay. I get sixty soldiers for $8 so what’s the big loss.  Besides, I have to paint sooner or later, right?  My great vice is that I ruminate endlessly over the preliminary stages of a project and never get stuck in.  In this case, I think the solution is workable.

Participant

I’m all about the base on this one.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Participant

No magnets?

Participant

A core force from the Fallen Empire gathers…

20 Death Knights in heavy armor,

10 Elite Death Knights with two-handed weapons

20 Skeleton Archers

20 Skeleton Spearmen

10 Death Knights on Hell Chargers

10 Skeleton Outriders

Participant

Basing completed, letting the glue dry, then priming.

Participant

Don’t know why the site insists on making my photos appear sideways, but there it is, once primed, the models’ details really stand out. Superb work from Microworld.

Participant

An undead chariot and some necromantic personalities finish out my core force for starters.

Participant

A Death Knight in service of the Fallen Empire. From the ashes of the Blasted Earth, a lost warrior, his soul long fled, reanimates in body only, bound to service in the will of a dark necromantic power. Nor is his empty skeletal shell the only one to answer the call – vast armies of soulless, reanimated dead are marching against the Civilized World…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.