Home Forums Renaissance 6mm Sengoku Jidai with Battles in the Age of War

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Mr. Average 4 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

Recently had a go at a 6mm Sengoku Jidai game using  a version of ‘Battles in the Age of War’ rules by Peter Pig. Some things have become a bit clearer actually trying it all out, mainly that I need to do a lot more figures….

Full write-up on the ‘blog here: https://tenkafubu608971038.wordpress.com/2019/10/06/battles-in-the-age-of-war-again/

"Gareth Bale is running amok here, he's running an absolute mok." - John Hartson

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

Wow, that looks fantastic!

I have those rules as well but haven’t gotten close to putting them on the table yet.

I bought my first batch of 28mm Sengoku stuff a month or two ago, and am waiting for my college’s travel reimbursement check to splurge on more 28s…though I don’t think I could ever buy and paint enough to truly do mass battles they way I’d like to. I think I’ll leave 28s to play big skirmishes (or “mass” battles with relatively small units) and get 6mm to do mass battles.

Question—I saw on your blog you have Irregulars and Baccus. What are your thoughts on Heroics and Ros? I saw they have stuff for Sengoku era as well, and I generally like the thinner proportions of H&R vs the beefiness of Baccus.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Unfortunately I’m not seeing any images above?  Or on your blog.

Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

I don’t have any Irregular, all my figures are Baccus. I prefer Baccus to H+R, I’m not sure if the H+R range is extensive enough either. The sashimono are  smaller as well, and I don’t know how distinct the designs would be on those. You could do the figures without sashimono, which would be eminently sensible from the point of view of utility. I should say I’ve not actually seen any of the H+R Sengoku ‘in the metal,’ I’m just going by photos. But if you prefer them, go for it, 6mm is all about mass effect after all, whatever you can paint most of is good.

"Gareth Bale is running amok here, he's running an absolute mok." - John Hartson

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Mr Average – both working okay for me using Chrome and Edge.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

That looks the business.
    Glad to see you back again, it is a treat for the eyes.

PS: Images fine here and on blog, PC and phone.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Good looking game indeed, as well as the write up.  I really like being able to mix troop types within units/supporting units as was historically done.  Games like the Total War series tend to make units all one thing (like naginata samurai or only bows).

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Noel
    Noel
    Participant

Beautiful!

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Yes. Sorry, I meant to say that earlier – like Dark Star I like the mix of troop types in a unit -something I remember you were looking to do with rules earlier in this project.

The mix of bows and melee troops in the same unit was one of the things I liked a lot in Peter Pig’s Bloody Barons; same stable as Battle in the Age of War. I confess there are other bits I liked less and maybe if I had been bothered I would have tried tweaking them as you did with these.

I’ve been messing about trying to get a system to work that mixes troop types and quality and has ‘big men’ as special characters who made significant differences in melee ever since reading Whirlwind’s piece about Otterburn. I’ll dig Bloody Barons out and have a look. I see you took them out of Age of War! I don’t want single combat per se but the impact of well armed, armoured and ‘motivated’ individuals does seem to have been significant in some European battles. I don’t want supermen though!

Japanese troops look so good in this period.

Very enjoyable read, Thanks.

Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

I’m doing two separate 6mm Sengoku Jidai projects. This one for small battles with a really low figure scale (like 1:5 or less) and a large battles one where a 10cm x 7cm base has a mix of troops on and represents maybe 1-2,000 men. I think you need separate rules for each level of warfare because of how the armies are organised. In a similar way to it not being really feasible to play Waterloo with each unit being a battalion. So I’m using a conversion of the board game Tenkatoitsu for big battles, mainly because every set of wargames rules groups Sengoku units by weapon type.

I thought long and hard about some kind of ‘zoomed-in’ combat. I really didn’t want the challenges to single combat, and even sillier stuff like people committing seppuku a few minutes after they’ve refused to participate, but the battle reports in the Nobunaga Chronicle for example, end with a list of people who were rewarded for taking heads etc. I thought about having some cards for individual warriors, and these could be played before a melee and involve some kind of quick mini-game to get a bonus in the ensuing combat, or to allow a unit to withdraw from combat more easily (where the individual acts as a rear guard). But ultimately I thought this kind of thing would be covered by the random effect of the dice. I might revisit it in future maybe.

Large bases still look like this

Norm S
    Norm S
    Participant

Your table is a lovely image to share – thanks, I will keep returning to it for inspiration.

http://commanders.simdif.com

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I thought about having some cards for individual warriors, and these could be played before a melee and involve some kind of quick mini-game to get a bonus in the ensuing combat, or to allow a unit to withdraw from combat more easily (where the individual acts as a rear guard

REALLY like this idea!  One thing I tinkered with way back when was having certain “heroes” having  “honor chips” they could spend to either gain a single bonus to a single roll or to try to engage in a minigame to possibly gain a bigger bonus (or negative modifiers if the biff it badly).  Things like that add a lot of spice and character to this sort of game, though in the end I was worried it would push it too far into cinematic or hollywood samurai and detract from the historicality.

And those large bases are freakin’ lovely!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

I have a weakness for 6mm samurais but never let myself get into it. I can’t see any of the images but the last pic with the large base looks really nice

Tired is enough.

Usagitsuki
    Usagitsuki
    Participant

Hmm. That’s strange. Maybe it’s because the photos are linked from Twitter? The large base one is uploaded directly. Can you see this one?

Thomaston
    Participant

<p style=”font-size: 16px !important; line-height: 20px !important;”>Hmm. That’s strange. Maybe it’s because the photos are linked from Twitter? The large base one is uploaded directly. Can you see this one?

</p>
    I can see this one too

Tired is enough.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Might be that – I ban twooter from my browser for reasons of my own sanity, but the last one I see. And it’s a great one! All the sashimonos! You have the patience of a saint!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.